Prong Collars

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I wasn't talking about you, Anne! If you've tried the thing out, I have no problem if you choose not to use it.

I was just saying that I choose not to trash it before I've seen it in person. After all, I thought a regular prong was cruel before I tried one. And I thought an e-collar was mean, till I spoke to some great e-collar trainers.

Don't want to keep making the same mistake, so I'll reserve judgement on this one till I try it out! :)

However since it is banned in my State I will thread a ribbon through it if I need to use it again. They look quite nice with a ribbon threaded through.

:) That's a good idea, Anne. I wonder if the government will have a change of attitude when they see how nice and pretty the prong collars look!

And we can change the ribbon to match our outfits on the day too!

(Just to clarify, I'm being sarcastic to the govt legislators who banned it here in Victoria, not to you, Anne!)

Guest Pixel
Why do you say that?

Do you know how this type of collar is used?

Dont let the look of it make your decision on the collar. That collar if used properly does not hurt the dog, in fact the correction by this collar is less peinfull than the one of a check chain.

Hey Pixel

Have you ever had any personal experience with a prong collar? I'm curious.

Actually I am just going by the look of the collar. As for chocker chains, I don't believe in them either.

But I am sure if you say that they are safe, then they are. They just look nasty

I don't believe in choker chains either.

I do however believe in using that piece of equipment correctly, as a correction chain, there is a difference.

Read in a book today (can't remember title) that perhaps prong collars should come in pink. I can see it now :)

Guest trainer47

Wow! I was surprised to hear these collars are banned! We still have many people that swear by them, although I don't use them personally. I think those plastic collars are much worse! They do "poke" more. The ends of the prong collars are bent so as not to prick the dogs skin. I guess I could see the plastic ones used on dogs that have a lot of fur. They probably wouldn't be as affected as a short haired dog.

While we are on the subject of collars, do you have "fur saver" collars there?

Are there actually any learned prong spotters out there Anne? I'm not sure *scratches head* :rolleyes:

Anyways I heard you could thread a sock through it too...or just sew up a casing with open ends out of some thin cotton material.

IMO, any "prong spotters" are not "learned" - it's a contradiction in terms! :shrug:

Yes, I've known of the collars being threaded through a sock .... or being powder coated to match the colour of the dog, etc. etc.

Idiots - I know of a number of dogs with certain issues where it would be much kinder (for dogs and handlers alike) to have them work in a prong collar.

And I agree with Haven - I wish they'd stop labelling chains "Chokers" - it gives people the totally wrong perception for the use of this otherwise well tested and proven successful piece of equipment.

Guest lolli

I also agree with you Erny. I have seen many older people get control of their dog with a prong collar where they wouldn't have been able to otherwise!

I'm of the opinion though, that there is much wider misuse of the correction chain, than there will ever be of the prong collar.

I agree, Mel. And all the more so because prong collars are banned. And I think it all comes down to ignorance, which in itself has been reinforced by the current Victorian Government's insane decision to ban them here. :rolleyes:

But about Check Chains - these tools are used, I understand, by more than 90% of all Service Dog Trainers throughout the World and has been around for a heck of a long time. I doubt that this would be the case if not for a great percentage of proven successes time over time over time.

The other thing I like about Check Chains is that, once a dog has paired the two together, the simple sound of the "zip" as the ring 'sings' along the chain can in itself become, to the dog, the correction. So, in some cases and for some of the times, it is only necessary to create the "zip" sound and to the dog the correction is applied.

It's like you can make the Chains 'talk' with the proper use and handling.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting one up against the other (P.Chain/C.Chain). I simply see them as tools to be used in the most appropriate situation, on the most appropriate dog to achieve the best outcome.

Actually the sound of a correction chain has the opposite effect on my dogs. As soon as they hear it they go mad with excitement thinking they are going to training or for a walk :rolleyes:

Interesting post Erny...

I see what you mean about the service dog industry....but I think you might find that over in the US more prong collars are used (which we know already) I have also seen alot of assistance dogs on head halters, which makes a lot of sense to me if they are to be assisting persons in wheelchairs.

Also I have heard some remarks about the way some service pups should be trained here in Melbourne and to be honest it's quite behind the times IMO.

Just my two cents worth... :rolleyes:

Mel.

Just thought id add my 2 cents in this topic - ive used a prong collar on my previosu german shepherd and it made such a difference! Where with the check chain i was correcting to no avail, the prong collar was so much kinder to both of us because she learned very quickly not to pull through self correction. Her training progressed so nicely and it really improved the bond as well :-)

The ridiculous legislation in Vic was simply made by a bunch of mis-informed do-gooders who didnt bother taking the time to truly learn about the purpose of another dog training tool. Anything can be cruel in the wrong hands, its not the equipment thats to blame for that. Did the gun ban really stop people from getting shot? What really irks me is this constant restriction of our liberties by goverments and councils - we cant do this...or this...or this............

Interesting post Erny...

I see what you mean about the service dog industry....but I think you might find that over in the US more prong collars are used (which we know already) I have also seen alot of assistance dogs on head halters, which makes a lot of sense to me if they are to be assisting persons in wheelchairs.

Also I have heard some remarks about the way some service pups should be trained here in Melbourne and to be honest it's quite behind the times IMO.

Just my two cents worth...  :shrug:

Mel.

And you're entitled to it, Mel - it's the sharing of opinions that can lead us to become wiser! Perhaps I need to go back in my research! However, my own experience and use of the correction chain does not waver my opinion. I have worked with headcollars (they have their place, but are more of a control tool than a training tool), and I expect assistance dogs wear them due to some physical limitations of the handlers (lack of 'hold' strength etc.), but I'm not sure that this applies to a majority. But in this respect, I'll make a point of contacting Assistance Dogs for Independence, just as a matter of "knowledge". :rolleyes:

Edited by Erny