Hip Dysplasia In Little Dog

EddyAnne,

I know a fair number of Toy and Miniature Poodle breeders and I don't know a single one who tests for HD. It simply hasn't been an issue in those sizes in Australia to date.

I doubt there'd even be a 'breed average' for Toys and Minis.

HD in standards is another matter.

Tracey, just a quick hijack of the thread, where do you get you Flexicose?

http://www.flexicose.com/ :rolleyes:

very quick service - US to Sydney Australia in under a week and have since contacted me for any follow ups

poodlefan, yep we've sent them the details about it. definately something rare (and she has a brain problem too) so we want to make sure the right people know whats what

Thanks Tracey. I have seen that product on various other lists. I will certainly order some, when i run out of the glucosamine. My little one very rarely shows any symptoms and it was only by accident we found out

poodlefan, yep we've sent them the details about it. definately something rare (and she has a brain problem too) so we want to make sure the right people know whats what

I hope you got a reasonable response Tracey. Yours is the first mini I've ever heard of with HD. Very sad for you and her. :rolleyes:

I hope you got a reasonable response Tracey. Yours is the first mini I've ever heard of with HD. Very sad for you and her. :rolleyes:

thanks for the concern :confused:

EddyAnne,

I know a fair number of Toy and Miniature Poodle breeders and I don't know a single one who tests for HD. It simply hasn't been an issue in those sizes in Australia to date.

I doubt there'd even be a 'breed average' for Toys and Minis.

HD in standards is another matter.

G'day, Eddy here.

Over the years I have been to many training clubs across Victoria and some in NSW, where I talked to some pet owners with minis and toys who had HD. As I mentioned, as to what the figures are in Australia well I feel your guess might be just as good as my guess but then maybe not if you know what the Breed Score Average is in Australia and how many Poodles here have been tested and scored.

There you go Eddy Anne - until today I'd never heard of a mini or toy with HD.

I can't find anything on a breed average for this country. UK has the mini at 16 (highest score is 109 on their scale) which is the same as the CKCS. No listing at all for the toys.

G'day, Eddy here.

Yes a sigh of relief in that it's just back pain that just needs some rest, strange the first vet couldn't manipulate down the back and detect back pain and if this is the case then maybe you'll be off giving that first vet a miss in the future. But then who knows if the problem doesn't clear up with rest, time and maybe even with medication, then if this is the case the maybe you might have to investigate further maybe even with an x-ray, as hip problems are known to cause back problems. I've also heard that hip problems even like osteochondrosis dissecans can even cause muscular straining back problems as the doggie tends to guard themselves during certain hip movements, but then maybe poodlefan might like to let us know if there is any probability of that with mini and toy poodles in australia.

Hope it's just back pain :)

Yep, Angus has a sore back - from scrunching forward to take the weight off his hips - both areas of pain are managed with medication and he gets a massage for his back too. Add to that the arthritis and his vertebrae are starting to fuse... doing alright for an old fella.

Oooh poor Angus :) You must be managing him well as he seems happy.

The second vet twiddled and stretched Ruperts hips a lot without any problems, but when he pressed on a certain spot on his lower back - Youch! I've realised that the first vet I saw (a newbie at my clinic and one I wont be returning too) pulled up on Rupert's back half and reverse-arched his back while checking his hips, which probably explains his discomfort during this process.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I might use this one... I wrote a while back about my baby having HD, we've put him onto powdered Vitamin C and Fish Oil caps which have worked WONDERS, like noticable improvement in a couple of days, not to mention an extra GLOSS to his coat :D BUT what I was wondering is if anyone has found somewhere cheap to buy this stuff from?

I've been checking online, I currently pay $10 for 100g of Calcium Ascorbate at the health food store, but being a tightwad anything cheaper is good.

Interested in getting pup-pup onto glucosamine as well, the 29.95 on the flexicose site sounds awse, is this australian or american dollars tho?

Ta.

My Cavalier also has HD.She is given human glucosamine/chondroitin tablets, sardines, and has acupuncture, which is working really well.

I have just received my Flexicose, from the US. It is US dollars but you get "free" shipping. I had a naturopath friend look at the ingredients and she said that the only thing extra to add would still be the sardines twice/week(also good for their coats. Apparently as it is a liquid it is more easily absorbed.