Dog Barks At Cat On Fence

Hi people

I have a little problem; my neighbours 'beautified' our fibro fence by putting one of those square sectioned caps on it. The thing is that previously their obnoxious little feral cat could not balance its flea-ridden little body on the fence top, whereas now it can.

Surprisingly, my dogs take exception to this nasty little moggie parading about our fence top. My neighbours have grumbled about the increased noise from my side of the fence :p

Well-meaning friends of mine have advised placing saucers of milk that contain aspirin; as I actually like cats, this particular remedy is outside my comfort zone.

Seriously, what do I do? Is there something I can smear along the fence top that will discourage this cat?

idle hands

Still laughing at your description of cat.

Sounds like you like them as much as I do.

Try smearing top of fence with thick layer of heavy duty grease.

Will not be pleasant for nasty little dog teasing beast to walk on.

Will also last in all weather.

Added bonus:

Cat will feel compulsion to lick and clean feet after this experience.

This taste will not go down well with cat.

For added effect, you could also try mixing chilli powder through grease before application.

Both are non-toxic, but sure to leave cat with experience it won't be in a hurry to repeat.

Good luck

Julie

Just tell the neighbours that the additional barking is actually their fault, for modifying the fence so that their cat can sit on it and tease your dogs. (Though perhaps say it a bit more politely than that!) :laugh:

If they modify the fence so the cat can't sit on it again, their problem will be solved, no?

The hose works. Just aim the nozzle at puss and turn the tap on.

Edited to add that I used to do this to a neighbourhood cat who would torment my parrots. The cat didn't come back after a squirts (well it was much more than a squirt) of water.

Edited by Ripley

Edited to add that I used to do this to a neighbourhood cat who would torment my parrots. The cat didn't come back after a squirts (well it was much more than a squirt) of water.

wonderful suggestion.

Squirt the little critter so he don't know what hit him LOL

Seriously though wouldn't it be funny if you tripped soooo close to the fence that pusskins got it right in the Moosh!!!!!!

I love Cats but mine has an enclosure

Next time they have a gripe, about the noise tell them it's because their little Sylvester is teasing the dogs, and also remind them that in alot of councils roaming cats is a no no too.

Then to top it off, offer them a coffee, and a tim tam and show them some plans for cat enclosures. It doesn't take Einstein to build one..

Edited by Zia

Next time they have a gripe, about the noise tell them it's because their little Sylvester is teasing the dogs, and also remind them that in alot of councils roaming cats is a no no too.

Then to top it off, offer them a coffee, and a tim tam and show them some plans for cat enclosures. It doesn't take Einstein to build one..

Good on you, Zia. :laugh: I wish more cat owners were as like minded. I don't understand how dog owners' mentality could comprehend anything other than keeping our/their beloved pets where they're safely housed (regardless of by-laws) and out of danger, but where cat owners' mentality allows their cats the unsupervised freedom of the land, with all its inherent dangers, even though they love their moggies just as much as people with dogs love their dogs.

It would also help those who appreciate and enjoy birdlife to know they're not likely to suffer the imposition of someone else's cats to torment their otherwise "bird friendly territory".

Edited by Erny

PS - Hose is a good idea. If there is a "select" section of fence upon which the cat normally sits, would a motion detector system work? I think they're called "scarecrow" systems. www.innotek.com.au might be the link (sorry, haven't taken the time to check, so going on memory).

Grease is a good idea too. Just a thought - in this day and age of people out to sue people .... if the cat gets grease all over it and brings it inside to the cat owner's home and damages the carpet (for example), can you be seen as "booby trapping" and in any way, shape or form be held liable????

I own a cat too - a Burmese. She's an indoors cat of course. She's too stupid to do anything outside except sit under the pergola sunning herself, watching me put the washing on the line (the only time I let her out). She has zero interest in my birds, although when they preen their extremely long tails she gets a bit interested in their 35cm long tail feathers flicking in front of her face. :laugh:

I must confess that I turned the hose on 'full' on the cat stalking the wild rosellas in my yard and it either knocked kitty clean off the paling or he jumped.

if the cat gets grease all over it and brings it inside to the cat owner's home and damages the carpet (for example), can you be seen as "booby trapping" and in any way, shape or form be held liable????

In this litigious society - you bet. And my old response of "What grease???? ;) I clean the bar-b-que every week" wouldnt wash if it came down to it.

Personally I like the high pressure hose idea for feral, flea ridden puss puss. Failing that I'd speak to Ripley about an obedient parrot who would attack on command. :laugh:

Good on you, Zia. :thumbsup: I wish more cat owners were as like minded. I don't understand how dog owners' mentality could comprehend anything other than keeping our/their beloved pets where they're safely housed (regardless of by-laws) and out of danger, but where cat owners' mentality allows their cats the unsupervised freedom of the land, with all its inherent dangers, even though they love their moggies just as much as people with dogs love their dogs.

It would also help those who appreciate and enjoy birdlife to know they're not likely to suffer the imposition of someone else's cats to torment their otherwise "bird friendly territory".

Thankyou Erny :laugh:

I heartily concur. I know some wildlife is considered pests by many, and I must say me included. Rotten Magpies that swoop you. Pesky possums that pee everywhere and cause havoc. But in the saying that that last thing in the world I'd want is to know my beloved cat was hurting these creatures in any way.

I know they are expensive, but to do it yourself, I got help from friends, is a much cheaper alternative, and safe for your cat and wildlife, and the public.

If this cat was enclosed there would be no probs. And I agree our much loved dogs, we don't hesitate in keeping under lock and key so to speak. Not left wandering (well most of us do :p ) yet people forget about the cats

LOL, Zia. I don't get swooped by the maggies in my street as I feed them on weekends. Not too much so they get dependent on me, but they will take it out of my hand and all. Come breeding season, I never get swooped. I guess they feel that would be rude. :thumbsup:

This does work really well - one of my pet hates is people who let their cats roam and I've done this with plenty of success (and the cat, other than being a bit wet, is unharmed)

I keep my cats in an enclosure as well.. I do like the idea of suggesting such to your neighbour.

No cats walk along our fence anymore anyway... both my dogs can reach the top of the fence, and neither of my two are particularily friendly to cats (other than ours)

I can see the puss cat talking to his buddies now, " they say I jumped, but I was pushed".

:worship::worship:

:laugh: jdavis

Pondering on this. Pitty you couldn't put an antibark collar ..... on the CAT!

:thumbsup: That'd put him off from sitting on your fence and tormenting your pooch!

Pondering on this. Pitty you couldn't put an antibark collar ..... on the CAT! 

:thumbsup: That'd put him off from sitting on your fence and tormenting your pooch!

Is it wrong that I think this is very funny? :worship:

:worship: I wondered the same thing ...... then thought "naaaaahhhh". :laugh:

LOL, Zia. I don't get swooped by the maggies in my street as I feed them on weekends. Not too much so they get dependent on me, but they will take it out of my hand and all. Come breeding season, I never get swooped. I guess they feel that would be rude. ;)

LOL my ex sister in law would love you..she had one as a pet she hand reared after he fell from his nest and his mum deserted him

The little @$%@$#% would fly all of us..We'd be sitting in in the lounge with all our feet up so the little blighter wouldn't take our toes off LOL

She adoreeedd him though, and called him Rodney :laugh:

i think he almost lived for ever lol

my ex sister in law ................ had one as a pet she hand reared after he fell from his nest and his mum deserted him ...

I had one too ... similar situation as your ex-SIL, Zia. When Emma (her name) grew stronger, and flight feathers grew in, I began teaching her to fly - bit by bit. Eventually, she'd fly from her outdoor cage/avery to our balcony railing (country property - fair distance). Over time her flight path expanded until she could fly miles across the land. I'll never forget coming home from school and woof whistling her (you know, with fingers in mouth ... can't do that anymore!). I would watch the clear blue sky and eventually see a black speck that kept growing and growing in size, until she soared in and landed on the balcony railing, wanting her dinner. I loved that feeling - to have a relationship, of sorts, with something free and wild. Humbling.

Her visits grew less and less frequent, until they were no more. I hope she lived to grow happy and old, with lots of 'children' to carry the legend of her tales.

Sorry for the hi-jack - had to share that!