Booster Shots

I am not trying to start an argument here, so don't need any input in regards to whether or not I should be vaccinating my dog every year - for now, I chose to follow my vet's advice and do the annual booster shots, although this may change.

Problem is, I can't figure out when the booster shots are due? Diesel had his first vaccination at 6 weeks old before I got him. Should his booster fall at 12 months from this date (during Sept '05) or 12mths from his FINAL vaccination (which he had in December '04)?

Melisski, Im not up for the vaccinating argument today anyway :p :thumbsup: but, just wondering, has your vet not told you that the recommendations for vaccinations are now changing to 3 yearly?

Most vets should be up with this by now. :laugh: (Not preaching or telling you what to do, Im just wondering for my own info. Its just that Im curious whether some vets will actually volunteer this new information or whether you have to ask - my vet knows I dont vaccinate anymore but I asked him whether he was informing people of the new information and he said he was) :eek:

Jen

Jen - I haven't actually spoken to my vet since Diesel had his third lot, but I have heard about them changing them to three yearly. :thumbsup: Having said that, my previous dog actually died from contracting canine hepatitis which led to other problems as well, so personally I'm a bit obsessive about vaccinations etc. (Rocky missed a booster vaccination - he was my parents dog - and I'll always wonder if he would of gotten sick if he'd had it).

Plus, Diesel is around A LOT of other dogs, and since I don't know what they're vaccination histories are like, I'd rather be safe than sorry, lol. My vet is pretty good in regards to being upfront with information, but I'll bring it up when I take him for his check up anyway.

He He - I can understand you being obsessive about the vaccines with what you have been through - I guess the experiences we have shape our decisions! :p

One of my dogs, Kirra had a bad reaction to her vaccination which destroyed her immune system and we have been struggling with skin allergies etc ever since - so of course, Im paranoid about giving vaccinations :laugh:

Do ask him though - obviously it is better not to load their body up with more chemicals than necessary, and with the new information, you should feel safe from your point of view too :thumbsup:

Jen

I agree about the chemical thing - and mine you, there were a lot of other factors that probably didn't help with Rocky - mainly the fact that we were all ignorant (as many dog owners are) and didn't think twice about things such as diet, exercise etc. Rocky lived on Pal for his entire life - Diesel's on a strange mixture of BARF/raw and good kibble (and is very spoilt).

I suppose it's like the old saying, once bitten, twice shy. Once my vet tells me it's ok to vaccinate every three years, I'll probably start doing it! :thumbsup:

Yep, I think the diet plays a big part. I think dogs that are fed on Pal or similar (and yep, I used to do this too!) dont have a great immune system in the first place as they are not in top health. :thumbsup:

Even I think it would be dangerous to not vaccinate a dog who is not fed a healthy diet! :worship:

Jen

my vet is perfectly happy NOT i repeat NOT to do yearly boosters. In a long conversation I had with him he said that even three yearly vaccination is possibly still too frequent.

I know this is the opinion of many people, and each to their own... but at the moment I'm sticking with the boosters due to personal experience (see above) and my vet's advice. And I doubt they're just trying to rip me off - they actually ended up not charging us for a lot of the work (came to a grand total of about $3000, but we only had to pay $1600) that Rocky had done in his last week or so.

dogsbesotted - I didn't think you meant he was either! Just trying to make a point. I know a lot of people's vets believe they're unnessecary, but my training club and most of the local dog club still require proof of regular vaccinations, so I'm pretty much stuck getting them done for the time being anyway.

just wondering, has your vet not told you that the recommendations for vaccinations are now changing to 3 yearly?

Most vets should be up with this by now.

My vet recently sent out a reminder to say that Brianna's annual vaccination is due (she is 16 months old). Are the new vaccination protocols outlined anywhere on the net so that I can show the vet and discuss them with him? I don't want to vaccinate her unnecessarily.

Does anyone know a good site that explains it all? I am sure if I just go and talk to him he will ask me where I am getting it from and I don't have anything to back it up.

Edited by WendyH

WendyH - vaccination protocols are pretty easily available on the net.

The 3 yearly protocols usually begin after the first annual booster - that is to say, a pup has its initial set of 2 or 3 vaccinations (depending on the age they commence) then another 12 months later (usually aroudn 16 months of age), then 3 yearly from then on.