Itchy Skin?

ok guys, i need your doggy wisdom again :thumbsup:

My new dog seems to be scratching a a fair bit, i'm trying not to overeact about it LOL....just yet.

IVE checked him for fleas or signs of dry skin, can't find any signs..

none of the other animals are scratching......

sO don't want to take him to the vet yet, till i get him desexed...so any ideas what i can do to calm him down a bit...thats safe and low cost and easy to use??

Is there anything i can try before using something that involves washing him , as its very cold atm,....

thanks guys

julie-annexx

I'd investigate his diet and, if not change it, at least add omega oils to it. (I use Vet's All Natural Omega Special Blend.)

When I used to swim my girl, the chlorine caused her to itch. So, after every swim (which was frequent) I used to wash her off and use an oatmeal based shampoo. The less the shampoo lathers, the better it was for her skin (as this indicated there was less detergent in it).

Just because you didn't see fleas on him, doesn't mean he wasn't bitten by a meanie that jumped off. Has he been de-fleaed? He might also have an allergy to flea-bites or certain grass or pollen or even something in his diet. A lot of dogs are allergic to grains.

As Erny said, try some omega oils and an oatmeal bath and then de-flea him.

What did he eat at his previous home (you said he's from a breeder right?) - did he itch there?

Just a thought that might work :eek:

Dermcare make a medicated foam for the treatment of seborrhoeic dermatitis associated with infections by stapylococcus intermedius.

lts worth a try if diet change doesnt work,as it maybe a mite :)

The human eye cant see...But the dog can feel ;)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Perhaps a really silly comment, but here goes...

Lots of people ring us at work when they get a new pup and say he's itching, and heaps of times its because the dog is wearing a collar for the first time and keeps scratching at it. I know my little girl did this for about 3 days after we got her.

Of course have a think about whether it could be any of the causes suggested above - but if you can't pin down the cause and decide to wash him after all -

Aloveen is a soap free oatmeal shampoo, good for soothing flea allergy dermatitis - if the dog is allergic to fleas it will only take one bite to set off the whole reaction, so you wouldn't necessarily see the offending critter.

Pyohex is a medicated antibacterial shampoo that is comparatively gentle (compard to some other medicated foams) and may help if the itchiness is infection based (especially staph infections) - vet gave it to me for puppy pimples and low level skin/vulva infection in pups - she said it can also be used to cleanse wounds so I guess if must be fairly mild.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Malaseb is the next strongest option after Pyohex? And is sometimes used for mange? Is that right?

Malaseb is milder than Pyohex, they are very similar except Pyohex has a higher level of chlorhexidine in it so it's better for infections and as your vet said good for cleaning wounds etc (altho straight chlorhexidine is better for cleaning if you have it). Pyohex is the one which helps with the treatment of mange.

If there is no sign of infection (pus) then I would use Malaseb, if it is simply itching with no sign of redness then I would use the Aloveen. With all three shampoos I would use the Aloveen Leave In Conditioner after each shampoo. It creates a barrier and helps prevent dirt settling on the skin, soothes the skin and helps prevent more itching, plus moisturises the coat as both the Malaseb and Pyohex tends to dry it out if used regularly.

With all three shampoos I would use the Aloveen Leave In Conditioner after each shampoo. It creates a barrier and helps prevent dirt settling on the skin, soothes the skin and helps prevent more itching, plus moisturises the coat ...

And it smells beaut! :D

Edited by Mana

hi guys

thanks for all ur responses!! :D

i thort id try washing him first with the aloveen shampoo , before i ring his breeder...its what she suggested anyway to wash him in.

its made a slight improvement, but he's still scratching....i didnt get the conditioner tho,,that might make the wash work more still??

i thort it might just be a nervous thing, since hes moved to a new home..ill give it a couple of days and if it continues or gets worse, will ring the breeder for advice.

if not ,i'm getting him desexed very soon, and will get him checked out then :D

Have you changed his diet at all, since he came to live with you? Perhaps it is food related - seeing as the shampoo did not really fix the situation...

I would also be looking at where he is playing and laying down... Could be a mat he is laying on or some sort of grass or weed outside...

If he was mine and it did not clear up in a few days and or got worse, than I would be off to the vet... Just in case he has picked up some sort of mite or something...

Good luck

Jodie

• 5 weeks later...

hi

one thing that can help with itchy skin is an omega 3 supplement

also a dog food with a high omega 3 level is helpful , however omega 3 oils are not very stable, and when it is added to dog food then it tends to break down fairly quickly....

a lot of the imported foods have omega 3 oils added to them, however the EPA and DHA components tend to reduce quickly due to the long transport and shipping times.....so it is better i think to use an australian produced pet food , for example natural balance

We have had dog owners we know use a new oil supplement called 'OmegaMagic Plus'

omegamagic-online supplier , you can also buy it from vets in WA.

This works well as it has the correct omega 3 : 6 ratio, added vitamin B, zinc, and vitamin A to help the skin repair itself....

this works quite well, and is a lot cheaper than the omega 3 supplements many vets sell....I think it's only in WA at this stage, but i'm sure that it should be available in the other states soon through vets...