Humane Debarking

Hi! I am very new to this site. I have been checking out the dog breeds and resuces for months upon months, waiting to chose the right moment to hopefully adopt a dog.

I have gone through the correct channels to obtain approval for a dog in our apt. Last night's stata meeting has revealed that really we can't be prohibited from getting a dog. I did my research on this months ago and knew this answer, but I'd rather be friens with my neighbours, than enemies, so I pursued the proper channels. Anyway, my biggest concern with getting a dog was and is barking. Now I am not prepared to get a dog, especially if it's a rescue dog, only to have it rehomed again when I could have prevented any further moves for the dog. So here's my question. Is there a human way to de-bark a dog? I think either Burkes Backyard or Dr Harry has mentioned the citronella collars. I am assuming since one of those two characters has mentioned the collars they'd be humane, but I'd like other peoples' opinions and feedback. Thanks (and sorry about the length)

hi there.

It is illegal to physically de-bark a dog in NSW. Its a hard one to answer. I had a cruelty case dog who was abused by men and would bark and bark and bark all the time (not to mention attack men the numbe of male friend that he baled up!!) and we got professional help (i won't mention the company as i didn't like their methods) and they totally stuffed him up more. This is how i initially got interested in dog behaviour as i wanted to figure out why he was barking and biting. I figured out that all he wanted was to be "introduced" to people coming into my house and for them to pat him. I know most behaviouralist would say that a dog shouldn't get greeeted first (leader of the pack sceniro) but it worked for him. The reason that i am saying this is so that if your new dog does bark you may be able to figure out what triggers it and then work from there. It is amazing what you will find if you just sit and watch an animal.

I regards to the collars i personally don't like them. It onceagain doesn't treat the cause if the barking and while it may initially stop the barking they can start up other behaviours that are worse eg self mutilation, digging, biting, ruining furniture. So i would think long and hard before getting a collar like that. But it is not to say that they don't work on some dogs as they sell so they must but for the majority it isn't long term and ends in more misery and re training.

Hope this helps. I am really interested in behaviour problems and am constantly reading articles from journals about this so please feel free to pick my brains if you like! :mad

Thanks. Geeze, I didn't know 'de-barking' was a term for some sort of procedure. I just thought it meant a dog doesn't bark because it's been trained not to bark. How green am I? LOL :swear:

When I was thinking of humane ways to stop a dog from barking I was thinking of the usual 'no hitting'. I am not a hitter. Not of animals, not of my kids. I just wonder if the citronella is safe, humane and effective. I have heard of dogs barking out of boredom. And that's as far as my knowledge of barking goes.

Even though I have had a dog as a teeneager, I am actually a cat person, but lost a cat to a very agressive cancer almost 3 1/2 years ago. I still have a Persian, I rescued him years and years ago. But I just can't get another cat. My Flash was just the one, ya know. Still get tearied. I love all animals, all the same. So anyway, I am looking for a dog. I want a forever dog, though. :mad

Hey Becky

what breeds of dog are you looking at at the moment? This choice could be one of the most important if you are getting a dog that will live in an appartment. You dont want to get a highly active breed (which will lead to destructive/noisy behaviour)

Not to be nosy but are you at home all day or working? Live alone? kids? give us some details and we can help you with the choice.

Have heard greyhounds are good pets, not as active as they seem and are great to have indoors. If you get a rescue, get one that has been used to indoor living, single dog living. These have learned to look after themselves somewhat when it comes to self-entertainment. Heaps of toys, food toys (give a smaller breakfast or none at all and then let the dog pick at a stuffed kong) and obedience training are required to keep your dog happy.

I use an electronic collar on my dog to stop barking. She's a high drive working breed though, and now knows to bark when there's a threat, not just for the sake of it. Bree has a point. The collars simply mask the symptoms. The dog wont bark if it gets a zap or a spritz on stinky stuff in its face. You are not correcting the actual boredom and this can be transferred to other behaviours like chewing, digging etc. Plus if you want to keep the dog crated for 8-9 hrs a day so it stops those habits too you're better off with a cat, ferret or rat. (Even a parrot. How about lizards? Beardies make awesome pets. Cheap to feed to) I'm just not a fan of crating dogs. Pen/run yes but a cage doesnt appeal to me.

Hi Nekhbet,

Yea, I don't think I would 'crate' the dog, particularly if that means locking him or her in a crate. If crating means a little doghouse, that's open, okay. I would actually have a little doggie bed for the little guy or gal.

I get what you're saying about the behaviour modification. I would have to correct the issue, I don't want a chewed up lounge. Oh boy! :thumbsup:

I do have one cat and would happy to stick with just him if it all gets too complicated with a dog.

Another breed I heard was good with kids is the Cav King Charles Spaniel. I know I don't want a Maltese (Please, no offense to those Malty lovers). I have just heard that they can be snappers sometimes. I don't want to have to rehome a dog after adoption because I have not made the right choice when I could have know better.

I never heard that about greyhounds. I can remember volunteering once at the RSPCA and seeing this poor old greyhound. She was considered no longer 'useful' and had a sledgehammer taken to her head. The idiot couldn't even do that right. The dog had a 'lopsided' head and was behaviourly 'soulfully' destroyed, but she was healthy otherwise and a really special dog. I'll never forget her, I see her image in my head, often.

You're absolutley not being nosy. I work two days, school hours. The rest of the week, I or my husband is home. I have two daughters, a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old (hence the worry about a snapping dog- oh by the way, I have heard Daschund's are a 1 person dog and so that breed is out, too).

I am not really fond of birds, have thought about fish, but they're a bit awkward to cuddle :p A lizard, now that would be kinda cool. My daughers would love that idea! I hadn't thought of a lizard. wonder how they go at cuddling?? I don't know the first thing about lizards. I'll have to think long and hard about them.

Thanks Nekhbet!

not sure where you are but check out the GAP website in my sig. there is heaps of info in there. greys are great with kids as they are more likely to walk away than growl or snap if the child does something it doesnt like. also if you go through the greyhound adoption program they will match a dog that is suited to your situation eg. cat safe. greys also dont need much exercise as they were bred for sprinting so dont have the stamina that alot of other dogs have. they also dont tend to be barkers.

the link in my sig is for the QLD GAP but it still has heaps of info and the links to other states adoption programs too.

if you've got any greyhound questions feel free to ask!

My staffie's the same - he will bark maybe max once or twice a day. Maybe not the best breed for a first time dog owner, though.

That's a good idea to get an adult rescue - you can pick one who does not already have a barking problem, and if you keep him stimulated enough he probably won't develop one. :thumbsup:

A lot of working dogs bark, definitely don't get a sheltie :thumbsup:

A greyhound is a good idea, Cavs are great too...definitely ask people's opinions

before you choose a breed if you don't want a random pound doggie :p

Nat

basenji's dont bark, but im not sure of their excercise requirements

Oh, boy, friends in Darwin have three basenjis that can easily scale a 6-foot Colorbond fence.

I believe they're great with kids, but very active ... no more couch if your basenji is in an apartment all day!

But, then, it depends on the dog. I know my cattle dog x would sleep all day if we'd let him ... working dog my @rse!

Hi everyone! You are all so wonderful! Thanks for all of your support, ideas and suggestions. I feel like I have my own little support team here. i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside! :rofl::rofl: Thanks!

Hi Amhailte!

Staffies are GORGEOUS! And they do love kids and they are protective of their kids which is all good. And there always seems to be so many of them in need of rescuing. Poor souls. I think you're right, though. A staffy may not be right for our family at this point in time. But gosh I'll bet you love yours! :p

Hi Tess!

Yes I have been thinking about a Cav as well. Only just looking into the idea of a greyhound. Greyhounds seem to have a lot of pluses for them. Hmm :laugh:

Hi Krat!

I've seen pix of the Basenji and I think there is one of needing rescue now. But it reminded me of a Dingo and all I could think of was energy plus and jumper. Hence Mooper's comment. I guess this time my thoughts were closer to the truth. Hi Mooper!

Thanks everyone! If I ever find the right little 4-legged friend for us (or 3 -legged, I'm not opposed to helping out a little guy or gal like that), I'll have to do a big post. Maybe by then I'll have a digital camera and can post a picture, too. But hey, I think I am the only one in Australia that doesn't have a mobile, so a digital camera may not happen. I just don't think I am IMPORTANT enough for a mobile. And I am a cynic of the marketing about the 'needs' for a mobile.

I'll find my friend and family memeber sooner or later, I guess. Bit sad I misinterprete the ACS. My fav dog is the Airedale! But I figured they'd be a bit big for our place. Ohhhhh! Pooey! :thumbsup:

not sure why you think dachsund's are one person dogs. We had several while I was growing up and they were lovely loyal little dogs. They had 4 kids and 2 adults in our family to live with and were not at all a one person dog. Great with us as kids. We were quite young when we got the first one. They come in miniature too.

Jo

Hi Becky,

If you're seriously considering a rescue dog, then maybe try posting in the rescue forum about your living situation etc and the kind of dog you're after. I'm sure if any of the rescues have someone who would suit they'd be quick to reply, and there will be plenty of good advice. There are also plenty of furbabies listed in there looking for homes. Also take a look at Pet Rescue. Good luck!