Dog Forgets Training

When Riley goes to his off leash park to play, can you tell us what happens? How do you get him back when its time to come home? Do you have any hope at all of recalling him at that park? If he comes to you at home time, can you get him to sit to have his lead put back on?

Great advice given so far on this thread.......

When Riley goes to his off leash park to play, can you tell us what happens? How do you get him back when its time to come home? Do you have any hope at all of recalling him at that park? If he comes to you at home time, can you get him to sit to have his lead put back on?

Great advice given so far on this thread.......

At the park riley wont go that far away from me. He run off to a certain distance ahead and then will stop and wait for me to catch up, then he'll run, wait for me to catch up again and so on.

If i call him he'll almost always come back straight away. When he comes back its very difficult to put the lead on - he then forgets what sit means as he's watching the other dogs. Its then that he forgets everything - except for come.

Really off leash he isnt all that bad - its on leash that the trouble - eg walking around a park where dogs are also on leads - he is constantly in a rush to catch up to them.

Thanks agian for all the advice everyone!! I am definatley taking it all in and will put it into play - its greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update - things arent going as well as anticipated. :p

I started taking Riley to a park late in the afternoon. We are up the opposite end to the kids playground - they can be heard but not seen very well.

No one else around, except the cars going past.

Well all Riley wants to do is follow his nose. His nose is constantly to the grass smelling. I cant get him to look at me, and no words make his nose leave the grass.

It doesnt seem to be getting any better and we've gone about 6 times now.

He is just way to distracted and excited. Even a walk doesnt help him concentrated.

Its like he's never seen the outside of the yard before!!

But something that confuses me is that at the Paws in the park event there were heaps of dogs around and he was really good.

Yet when one dogs around he's terrible. :laugh:

If he is so keen on sniffing, have you considered doing tracking with him? Then you would have the behaviour under stimulus control, he would get to do what he loves and you can use it as a reinforcer.