Practice What You Preach?

Vickie

K9: Thanks Brooke,

on the subject, if peoples training methods are falling short of the dogs ability, you will fall below the "interest" level of your dog, this means that the dogs mind falls out of the window in which it will learn from the training, simply because it's board & finds your method unstimulating.

People who attended a workshop will now understand that a window of opportunity needs to be created so that the dogs mind is adequately stimulated & not over stimultaed. When you learn how to place a dog into this window, results come fast as every minute of training is absorbed by the dog.

I hear people talking about a dog reaching a plateau in training & they feel it's perfectly normal. I dont think it is at all. I cant see someone coming to see me for a couple of lessons & getting no where & accepting, "oh your dogs going through a plateau"...

As for how I train, I explain everything I do, no secrets. Training is always guided by the goals of the handler.

:thumbsup: Sounds like you have a great club KelpieCuddles!

I had a good/interesting lesson last week. I have been frustrated for a while about teaching different types of people with different goals & trying to cater to them all. I have kind of been experimenting with changing peoples mindset about handling their dogs. It's amazing how just a few sentences can change the frame of mind someone is in and make all the difference. What made me start to think about it was a when I asked someone for advice about a difficult sequence we were trying unsuccessfully in agility. Just talking about it, with no practical demonstration, changed my mindset completely & the next time I tried it, despite physically doing the same thing, it worked perfectly...just b/c I was thinking about it differently.

It's kind of hard to explain, but it worked. I tried some similar stuff in the lesson I taught last week & had amazing results, so I am going to start experimenting with this a bit more & see what happens. It may just be a way to teach all people, the way I would teach my own dogs & get through to them.

Wow Tess32 you need to move to Nowra. Our class seems to have a very open dialogue and I have not at any time felt that we couldn't interrupt to ask questions. Each dog seems to be catered to on a needs basis.

I meant for newbies/general clubs :thumbsup:

Nat

I used to live in Sydney and went to dog training with Steve Austin and I must admit I found him to be so positive and helpful that it was a real joy to go to training with my dogs. He'd pull people aside and help them with particular problems, he took no nonsense (from dog or owner) but he also would point out when your dog had improved (and geez that would make you feel good :thumbsup: ).

I then came down here to Albury and went to Kennel Club - what a disappointment!!!

Took my 13 year old along and the instructor yelled at her in front of the class and so of course she never wanted to go back again. She and I had different trainers so that our dogs wouldn't be distracted by wanting to play with each other and she would look over at me and BEG to go home. I was just saying to OH tonight that I wish I could find somewhere to train down here that was like where I went in Sydney - it was fun and positive and I know my dogs enjoyed because I enjoyed it. Can't say the same for Kennel Club down here - my dog just lay down on the grass and refused to move.... :rolleyes:

Trisven13 Posted on 13th Sep 2005 - 09:54 PM

I used to live in Sydney and went to dog training with Steve Austin and I must admit I found him to be so positive and helpful that it was a real joy to go to training with my dogs. He'd pull people aside and help them with particular problems, he took no nonsense (from dog or owner) but he also would point out when your dog had improved (and geez that would make you feel good  ).

I then came down here to Albury and went to Kennel Club - what a disappointment!!!

Took my 13 year old along and the instructor yelled at her in front of the class and so of course she never wanted to go back again. She and I had different trainers so that our dogs wouldn't be distracted by wanting to play with each other and she would look over at me and BEG to go home. I was just saying to OH tonight that I wish I could find somewhere to train down here that was like where I went in Sydney - it was fun and positive and I know my dogs enjoyed because I enjoyed it. Can't say the same for Kennel Club down here - my dog just lay down on the grass and refused to move.... 

Take a drive to Myrtleford my friend...........

Dianne

I am a member of the Albury and Border Kennel Club, in the 10 years that i have been training my dogs with the club, I have had nothing but positive experiences.

I have trained my dogs using club technique's and the result is a very happy and enthusiastic working dog and handler team.

I have competed succsesfully in obedience, agility and flyball with my dogs and they have gained titles in these sports, I owe it all to the great instructors at the Kennel Club, the level or instruction is of a very high and professinal quality.

Our club provides great training opportunities and a friendly environment to train in, you only have to look around at the other dogs working around you and see them working enthusiastically to know that they and the handlers are happy and enjoying themselves.

Its a shame that you and your daughter had a bad experience, maybe you could have taken it up with the Kennel club so the problem could have been resolved.

There is one school I emailed to ask if they allow clicker training and I got quite an abrupt reply, so glad I didn't go there.

I wish there were theory classes in some clubs :rolleyes:

I wish you'd come to one of my classes at the school I instruct at. I give a lot of theory whilst persons are practicing repititions, I have been told I go a little too far sometimes but I try to keep it simple ..I can see the ones who understand and want to learn more so I make time for them after class.

I must be very lucky, because the school I instruct at teaches many different methods to suit the many types of dogs and handlers. So therefore I get to teach methods I use on my dogs. I'm into training in drives and so is the school I instruct at.

Some people just want a well mannered dog and some want an obedience champion, it is the instructors job to know this and to cater for every individual. No one should comprimise.

IMO A training school that teaches one method to all is not worth sticking at.

Dave