Spoiled Aggressive Dog

Lyssa87

My dog is aggressive and very spoiled. When my dog wants attention he would sit in front of us and bark or licking our hand, then we would pet him. He would try to get into our lap when we’re eating (he’s a Maltese), sniffing our mouth, and beg for food. He would wake my dad up and nipping dad’s feet so my dad would drive him somewhere. Unfortunately, we love those behaviors of his. We think it’s cute and adoring. The way he’s being mischief and child-like, demanding for attention, is actually really cute. BUT I hate to see people saw our dog and adore it one minute then hate it another because of its excessive barking and growling. I’ve been reading a book and according to it, the spoiling contributes to its aggressive. The book say something about the way we spoiled our dog give it a high rank in the human pack. And we need to stop spoiling him.

Now I do want to train my dog and make him less aggressive. But I’m afraid that when my dog is well behaved, he would become boring. That may sound really stupid, isn’t it? The reason is because in the parking lot I saw so many dogs that sit in the cars so quiet, and I would walk up to them and try to get their attention. All they do is look at me and that’s it. One time the owner was there and she would let me pet her dog. I petted it, and it didn’t really do anything.

I don’t know what it’s like to have a well trained and behaved dog. Will it still be fun? Will your dog still be cute and playful? I really want to teach him tricks (which is very hard because he never listen) and take him to places where people welcome him without feeling threaten by his aggressiveness

Lyssa:

I don’t know what it’s like to have a well trained and behaved dog. Will it still be fun? Will your dog still be cute and playful? I really want to teach him tricks (which is very hard because he never listen) and take him to places where people welcome him without feeling threaten by his aggressiveness

I think you just answered your own question Lyssa. Yes, it is fun to have a dog that you can take anywhere, that is welcome everywhere and that you can teach tricks.

Good, humane training does not change a dog's personality - sometimes it gives more confidence and it can definitely shave off some rough edges.

An aggressive dog is a dangerous dog, regardless of its size - imagine some small child being bitten by your dog. Having your dog declared dangerous is definitely not fun. Having to have your dog put to sleep because of its aggression is even less so.

Your entire family will need to set some boundaries for your pooch. My advice to spend the money and have a professional dog trainer come and show you what to do.

Edited by poodlefan

It'll be more fun! Your dog will be welcome at your friend's houses and parties, since he will have a reputation for being well behaved. You'll be able to let him off leash in more places, since you know he will come back when asked and won't have to worry about him running off and getting hurt. You could even take him to agility, or flyball, or something. That's all got to add up to more fun for you, and for him.

I'd second Poodlefan's advice to get a professional dog trainer in, just to get you started off. If you tell us your location, I'm sure someone on the board can point you in the direction of a really good trainer.

:smashpc:

It is reported, I'm afraid, that Maltese Shitzu dogs are in the "Top 10" of the list for dogs that have been abandoned to shelters as a result of aggression. IMO, it's because these small cute dogs are treated as small and cute, but not as dogs. And it sounds like this is what's happening with yours. It also sounds like you know this. You will actually be doing your dog a favour if you turn the tables and become yourselves leaders, rather than dumping that responsibility onto the dog.

You can still love your dog just as much as you do now, but you need to show that love in a different way ... a way that your dog will appreciate even more. I agree with the other posters who recommend you obtain professional guidence for this purpose.

Aggression is aversive to dogs .... they don't like feeling that way. I mean, imagine .... would you like to be feeling angry for the majority of your life? It's just that, with the things we sometimes do (and don't realise what they mean to our dogs), it puts your dog in a zone which says "you have to look after not only yourself, but us as well". That's a pretty stressful position for a little Maltese to have to carry. :D

So ... I ask you - is the dog just for you, or is the dog meant to play a harmonic and happy role within the family unit as a whole?

When you obtain the professional assistance you need and follow the things suggested to you, I expect you'll find your little Maltese becoming a relaxed little fella who will still readily enjoy games and play and still bear a wonderful little personality .... it just won't be an angry one. And I don't think that's a sad thing.

Geez owner created aggression :D

Remember there is no point seeking training advice if all family memebers arent willing to change there attitude to being a responsable owner,at present your using your dog as a form of entertaiment & not treating it in a way that a dog should be & now the dog is paying the price for what everyone thought was cute or what ever other silly reason.

As said if you dont seek help your dog will only get worse & if declared dangerous or bites the outcome will not be good for the dog & remember it wasnt the dogs fault.

He doesnt listen as he has no respect for any of you.

Its seems you want your cake & eat it a well behaved dog isnt boring but a safe animal that is a pleasure to own & take out in public ,you either want a well behaved dog or stick to what you have???

Also dont go up to dogs in cars to get there attention that isnt responsable nor fair on the dogs , :rofl:

You will actually be doing your dog a favour if you turn the tables and become yourselves leaders, rather than dumping that responsibility onto the dog... You can still love your dog just as much as you do now, but you need to show that love in a different way.

Good post, Erny :D

Lyssa, how are you doing?

Edited by Amhailte

Some very good information there :thumbsup:

At least you acknowledge that its owner fault that your dog has such rude manners, and commendable that you are wanting to fix the problem well done :)

I tend to disagree sorry with what you describe as "cute". To me a dog licking my face for food and food begging, biting, demanding attention is very bad manners.

I would find such dog behaviour disgusting. Aggression such as you described is unnacceptable. Someone getting bitten wouldn't fine that "cute" at all. Your dog believes he/she is king of the castle and needs to brought down several pegs.

A good professional trainer/behaviourist is an excellent idea. Your dog will still be cute and playful, but believe me it will be much happier and settled when it realises its place in the family (its pack) and behaves as a much more settled doggy citizen :)

The very best of luck and let us know how you're getting on :)

ETA any pics of your pooch?

Zia

I haven't seen or heard from Lyssa on this thread. Has she been back? .... :thumbsup:

I'm just wondering if this was an attempt to get us inflamed. :)

Or maybe because I've seen a few t@#ls lately that I'm a bit too suspicious. ??

Sorry, Lyssa, if you're genuine about your enquiry.

ETA: If the OP wasn't genuine, doesn't matter anyway, 'cause spoiling dogs into aggression is too commonplace for my liking and this thread can at least serve to be educational for anyone else reading. :)

Edited by Erny

I haven't seen her back yet. But perhaps she just doesn't have access to a computer every day; or perhaps some of the passionate replies here have put her off a little. Might as well give her the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise.

Besides, I thought her spelling was too good to be a troll's. :thumbsup:

Besides, I thought her spelling was too good to be a troll's. :)

LOL I second that laughter erny as usual Amhailte cracks us up everytime :thumbsup:

Erny I thought that too when I read the OP and decided to reply. I like you figured ok if it is a troll at work there might be someone out there that just may benefit from our ideas.

At least its a positive thought anyways

I sincerely hope if it is a real posting so to speak that the OP comes back and lets us know how things are going

Thank you for all your advices. They’re very helpful.

There aren’t that many training class around where I live but there is one in a petmart. But that one doesn’t have any class for aggressive dogs. I’ve asked about the private class, it’ll be just me, my dog, and the trainer. I found that more effective than the group one since there’s no distraction and we can only focus on my dog. The lady I spoke to on the phone said that even though they don’t have any special class for aggressive dog, the basic training will give me some control over my dog and therefore, help it reduce the aggression. Is that true or they’re just trying to get business? In this class, I only need to go there once a week, and each week only take 1 hour. Is that enough time? How effective is this class vs. training at home with training books and videos since this class isn’t focus on the aggressiveness but only the basic (sit, come, stay…)? I have to pay $200, will it worth every penny?

Also one more question. There is another training place, I don’t know where it’s at because the vet only gives me the phone number and the programs list they have. I just hope it’s not so far away from my house. I just got the information last night so I can’t call them yet. That training place does have a Behavior Problems class but the private class is $300. In the private class, the trainer will be coming to my house and train my dog with me. $300 is a lot so I thought of taking him to the Behavior Problems class only and then the private class in petmart, which is only $200. Will that work or there’s more complication that I didn’t know of? When he behaved and calmed down, I’ll bring him to the group class, which only cost 50 bucks.

Edited by Lyssa87

Hi Lyssa. Good to hear from you.

First ... where are you based? At least, what state?

Assuming the problems are "leadership" issues (which seems to be the case), then obedience training will assist. However, there are other matters which need to be investigated and, if found out of 'whack', rectified. These issues relate to what's happening at home. If your dog does not perceive you as leader at home, then the intermittent insistance your dog obey you in obedience training may be difficult, if not result in your dog re-directing aggression on you. If this were to occur, it's your dog's way of saying "I am the leader and you have no right to govern me."

It bothers me that these "private lessons" are given by people who have reported that they can't deal with aggression .... to me it indicates a lack of important knowledge which is required to assist you deal with the issues you are presently having.

If you let us know where you are based, we should hopefully be able to recommend a trainer/behaviourist for either private lessons, or a training club comprising of trainers/behaviourists, who can give you information to assist you re-balance leadership at home, as well as train you on how to train your dog.

With leadership at home in place, use of learnt training skills will assist you in 'reminding' your dog, on a regular basis, where his place is within the family unit.

You are at least seeking help, and that's a great first step.

The second great step is that you seem to have admitted and acknowledged that your 'spoiling' of your dog has resulted in the aggression. Assuming your desire to rectify the problem is genuine, I believe you will progress with your dog in leaps and bounds, provided, of course, you follow the suggestions of the appropriately qualified trainer/behaviourist.

Edited by Erny

There's a tonne of stuff you can start doing at home to put your spolit pooch back where it belongs.

I have a dominant male in my home, not aggressive towards people but to dogs but he pushes humans and challenges them in ways that seem very cute but when you know a little bit more about doggie behaviour you'll see those cute things can typicaly have dominant layers.

I know what you're feeling, you want to know that youre dog is still going to be fun and happy after you address the issue. The answer is YES, it's hard to see that right now but pooch will be confident in itself because it knows where it belongs, pooch will still have fun and will most likely be more calm because it's not stressed about what it's allowed to do and what it's not. Pooch may infact become worse before it become better to start with, no one likes to be challenged for position in the ranks do they. The key is to be consistant, that means sitting down with everyone who has day to day contact with the dog and setting out the rules that everyone must abide by when it comes to re-training the dog.

I certainly reccomend getting in an animal behaviourist, we are seeing one every 2-3 weeks at this stage, we just had our 2nd session today and it is helping a great deal.

Have a look on the net for some simple things you can do at home whilst your looking for an animal behaviourist such as:

NILIF (Nothing in life is free method) this means that dog must do something for you to get what it wants.

Doggie wants its dinner, make it sit and wait.

Doggie comes over for a pat, make it sit first and stop patting the moment its butt lifts from the floor. However for us, we ignore the request for the pat because we give pats on our terms not the dogs terms, so I may go over to dog and give a pat when I feel like it, I don't tolerate demanding behviours, I ignore them.

Doggie never goes through a door before me and that means any door even into the kitchen.

All these things can sound harsh, they're not harsh, you're not hitting or screaming at the dog, you're teaching it manners.

If pooch is bugging you at dinner time, put it in a crate or leash it until it learns that is not acceptable.

Pooch doesn't walk in front of you on a walk, if it does you stop and make it sit and do that each time pooch gets in front of you.

Pooch gets time outs, if pooch is pushing you and challenging you then outside or in a room for 5 minutes.

Do you step over your pooch or walk around it? Pooch should get out of your way, so I pretty much just walk up and nudge then nudge again until pooch gets up and moves then they soon learn to get out of your way and give you personal space. (I would not reccomend this one for a people aggressive dog unless the animal behaviorist first asseses your dog and gives you the go ahead)

Does pooch sit on your feet or invade your personal space? Push pooch away.

Does pooch sit on the sofa or sleep on the bed - off the bed and off the sofa, no place for an aggressive dog whose challenging for top rank or who thinks they already are top rank.

These are the things we are doing right now, they may not be right for you and your pooch, but some of the simpler ones and the ones you feel comfortable with you may like to try or when you call and make a booking with an animal behaviourist ask them about the methods and the methods which they use.

Good Luck!

Edited by sas

I've heard that K9force's triangle of temptation is a good one too:

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...e+of+temptation

Basically, the idea behind either of these programmes (NILIF and TOT) is to make the dog work for whatever it is that he wants.

I mean, think about it - if you just give your dog whatever he asks for (food, attention, toys) without demanding anything in return, he will have no reason to respect your authority or leadership. As far as he is aware, these things (food, attention, toys) are his natural right to have, however badly he behaves.

What both these programmes do is make it clear to the dog that you are the provider of the things that he wants, and if he wants your things, he has to behave appropriately and obediently.

Of course, it's a great idea to find a good local behaviourist too.

:thumbsup:

Will the aggression go away completely and maybe forever if I take him to these classes? The vet once told me that neuter my dog will help but actually it didn’t help any.

So I can still go to my dog and pet him when I want to but not when he wants me to?

“off the bed and off the sofa” I was wondering why can’t dogs sit on the bed and sofa? My dog does both.

allowing the dog on the bed and sofa is allowing the dog to be on teh same level as you. In the dog world, dogs of equal or similar ranking will sleep/share a bed. A true boss dog will however snap and push others away because it is THEIR space and since they are the boss its not for the minions to share. Its the way dogs work. Your dog should only come up when invited, and then off again when you've finished. The point here is INVITED. It is done on your terms. Pats, treats, attention, food, everything when YOU decide not when the dog wants. And if it carries on like a pork chop, well ignore and walk off, or put into time out.

My dog does NOT come on furniture or bed, not even in the bedroom. She only comes in the house invited as well. She has the capability to become VERY dominant and may start showing aggression if I let her do what she wants. She knows what she can get away with and will test me daily (she's been living up to the bitch part really well this week hehehe)

You have done the right thing by desexing for sure, you dont need a randy male that gets upset over a bitch in heat.

Classes can do so much, it has to be you that changes the behaviour before your dog will change. Yes you can pat your dog, but when he behaves, If he starts sooking, nudging, nipping, scratching or anything to get your attention - no pat. Sit and be a quiet boy - get a pat.

He'll get it just be patient. These dogs can get worst before they get better because theyre being shaken from their 'pedestal', but you are doing the right thing by finally teaching your dog manners.

Will the aggression go away completely and maybe forever if I take him to these classes?

It might, and it might not. That's not something anyone can really tell you over the internet (or else we'd all be really rich, lol). :confused:

Going to classes and starting TOT/NILIF will almost certainly help. It may not help immediately, and as Nekbet says the behaviour may get a little worse before it gets better (think of the world from your dog's point of view - if you had always been pampered and spoiled, and suddenly your doormat owner started to assert herself and demand respect, wouldn't you be a little annoyed as well for a few days?) But you are consistent with the rules, you should see an improvement in behaviour over a few weeks. And I promise you, it will make your dog happier in the long term. Dogs feel safer when they know they have a secure position in a strong pack, with a trustworthy leader.

If you don't see the improvement you'd like to see in a couple of months, you can still always call in a professional behaviourist or trainer then. Of course, there's nothing to stop you calling one in now for a consultation (hint, hint!) :confused:

“off the bed and off the sofa” I was wondering why can’t dogs sit on the bed and sofa? My dog does both.

I've got to admit that my dog gets on the sofa - but on the condition that when I ask him to get off he does so politely and immediately! Many of these NILIF rules can be relaxed when your dog has accepted his place in the pack structure, and does not display dominance-type behaviours towards you any longer. But IMO it's best to start off using all of the rules, and then decide which ones to relax later on.