Very Itching Dog

Em & Taco

This may sound like a stupid question. Has he had his shots lately?

I noticed with godzilla a few weeks after that the allergies came back with a vengenance then read about the american protocol and now no more injections.

Also as a matter of interest when he did have his last shot 3 years ago the vet refusd to do the heartworm as well because of how his body may react to it.

the longer the period from his last shots the less allergies. :thumbsup:

In the breeders forum search for yearly vacccinations it is a very interesting atricle.

Just spoke to my vet and she has recommended I do the following over the weekend

1. Keep him away from the grass in the backyard

2. Buy a kids cotton t/shirt and out that on him

3. if no better than have to take him in Monday.

She did say that the vaccination could be affecting his immune system aswell.

I asked if it was that what course of treatment to take and that would be either a homopathic remedy or steriods and cant remmeber the name of the other one. If it wa the steriod option she said that would stop the straching while his is on it but then flare up again when he goes off it. :thumbsup:

Just do what the vet says. Come up to my place this afternoon I have one of your coats at my place still (the navy and red number with the dogs on it) If not i have a bonds singlet that will fit him - that or i think i have one of young siblings shirts at my place (she wont mind he he he). I will give you some aloveen in a spray bottle to soothe his skin.

Oh and you can get the Leo too.

Edited by katetk

The steriods would be Prednil they help but do have side affects. since Robert McDowell was great with the hot spots I have got more stuff from him for itching and started him on it yesterday.

If you go to an op shop you can find lots of babies clothes 000 size and a lot will fit him just make sure you change daily to get rid of all the pollen.

that buffalo grass can be a really bad irrant but still ask to express his anal glands when you are at the vet just to see if they are full.

Good luck.

it is worth being aware that extreme hypersensitivity combined with things such as a lot of itching is one of the indicators of an allergy....

Dan

So right! This is exactly what the vet demonstrated to me....with Grace the tib who has the skin allergies, & Angel the tib who does not.

He just ran his fingers up Grace's back thro' her hair & she sort of flattened with the ecstasy of someone scratching an itchy spot... and her legs started to move as if she were scratching.

He said this super-responsiveness was a sign of dogs with skin allergies.

He did the same to Angel....who just beamed as if she were being patted.

Dru, thanks for that description of Aloveen. I've heard people speak well of it. From your description I can see why. That's motivated me to give it a try. It was sheer caution that was making me stick to Epi-Soothe only.

I've been really impressed with Pyohex Medicated Foam, for when a hotspot is just starting. The vet recommended it only a month or so ago, so I'm new to using it. I find it brilliant for prventing the next stage, inflammation & infection.

Dogs who have hypersensitivities due to allergies tend to be really uncomfortable when you scratch them too.... When mine are in full flight of allergy they will actually pull away from being belly rubbed because its just too much. But when they are fine, skin clear, no hypersensitivity they want really vigorus scratches / rubs...

If it is Atopic (air born) allergies you can consider Immunotherapy Injections. This forces the body to get used to the allergens and deal with them in a better way... Its expensive, but at least 75% of dogs have some improvement... Both of mine are on it. Zayda has done great with it... Asher hasn't been on it long enough to tell yet...

Dan

So ZA, are you saying that "ticklish" skin (not using the word sensitive in this instance) could indicate a predisposition to allergies, but not necessarily mean an allergic reaction is present?

Can Aloveen and other similar products be a preventative? Clearly they wouldn't hurt if no actualy allergy is present.

hi

have you tried to reduce the inflamation by using omega 3 supplements ?

omega 3 oils are not very stable, and when it is added to dog food then it tends to break down fairly quickly....

a lot of the imported foods have omega 3 oils added to them, however the EPA and DHA components tend to reduce quickly due to the long transport and shipping times.....so it is better i think to use an australian produced pet food , for example natural balance

We have had dog owners we know use a new oil supplement called 'OmegaMagic Plus'

omegamagic-online supplier , you can also buy it from vets in WA.

This works well as it has the correct omega 3 : 6 ratio, added vitamin B, zinc, and vitamin A to help the skin repair itself....

this works quite well, and is a lot cheaper than the omega 3 supplements many vets sell....I think it's only in WA at this stage, but i'm sure that it should be available in the other states soon through vets...