Fat And Skinny Dogs

Purple Julie

Hi! I have relatives with a fat dog, and other relatives with a skinny dog.

The skinny dog is a Rough Collie called "Conner" (this is how they spell it). Whenever we went over to their place, and I patted their dog, I thought he felt very underweight. I could feel his hip/pelvis bones on his back, and his ribs very well. The hip bones were my biggest concern - very protruding. But I also thought, well, I don't know Collies all that well, so maybe that's just their build. Well, they've now been told by their vet that Conner is underweight. He is a male rough Collie and he weighs 20kg. I have no idea what the recommended weigh for a male collie should be, but 20kg definately seems not enough. Jyra, my female GSD weighs 30-32kg and is a good weight and my guess is that a male collie might weigh about that much.

So anyway, my relatives comment was that "He eats everything we give him", implying that he isn't starving himself. Well, duh! Of course he eats everything they give him, and he would probably like to eat more! Gosh! They think they are feeding him enough.

And the other dog, which is overweight is a male golden retriever, also called "Connor" (different spelling). They also have been told by the vet that he is overweight, but they don't really seem to be doing anything about it. They even give him pizza to eat occasionally! I think he weighed 50kg at 6 or 8 months even. I was totally amazed at that!

Goodness! Give me each of these dogs for a few months and I'd have them at a healthy weight again.

Thanks for listening to my little rant!

20kg for a full grown male collie does not sound enough - as you say, no wonder he eats everything they give him - he'd probably eat them if he could! Probably 30kg would be more likely. The right weight for a dog (as I'm sure you know) is when you can just feel the last ribs. You should be able to feel the hip bone a little but not as much as you say you can feel on Conner.

50kg for a golden at 8 months? :thumbsup: My grief - how is that dog still alive? How old is he now? He does not sound overweight, he sounds obese. It doesn't sound as if the vet was convincing enough in telling them.

I don't know what the ideal weight of these two breeds is but I agree with your thoughts on the matter.

Depending on how big the rough collie male is and how well boned he is I would suggest he should weigh about 25kg. feeling all his ribs and protruding hips is definately underweight.

The Goldie weighing 50kg at that weight, bring on hip displasia and a very short life span! That is disgusting any owner who allows a dog to get that fat is neglectful, to much love can be as bad as not enough!

JMO

Jen

God, even my bitch weights more than that and she's small boned and light frame.

Is he getting any exercise, or is this really just lack of food?

He needs to have probably about 10kg put on...

Nat

feeling all his ribs and protruding hips is definately underweight.

How do I fatten up a lean "athletic" (cough) dog who insists on burning it all off??

Please dont suggest Satin Balls - she wouldnt have a bar of them :thumbsup:

I might try giving a morning feed if no other suggestions :thumbsup:

Edited to add: very healthy happy dog otherwise! I am not too alarmed, I would be if she seemed sick.

Edited by chezzyr

How do I fatten up a lean "athletic" (cough) dog who insists on burning it all off??

Please dont suggest Satin Balls - she wouldnt have a bar of them

I might try giving a morning feed if no other suggestions

Chezz if you can fatten up Rosie i'll go heave, she meeds to mature is all, she is not underweight!

Jen

Just as a guide for you Chezz, Lily my 6 yr old girl weighs 20 kg and Cherry a 1 yr old female (both smooth) weighs in at 19kg

Edited by JencolsmoothsandGSD

Hi,

According to the ANKC Collie (Rough) standard:-

Dogs: 20.5-29.5 kg (45-65 lbs),

Bitches 18-25 kg (40-55 lbs).

The ANKC Golden Retriever one does not specify weight.

My male Collie (Rough) is 15 mths old and recently dropped below 20 kgs due to illness (gastro), he's slowly putting the weight back but still feels ribby to me. I'm told lamb flaps and chicken necks are good for adding weight but I worry about setting off his tummy again. We feed a small brekky of chicken and veg (sometimes with pasta or rice), followed in the evening by a larger portion. He's happy and energetic (too energetic sometimes), and has a healthy appetite so I'm not panicking yet.

Cheers,

Corine

We have 2 Tibetan Spaniel females...10 yrs & 11 yrs. Both gold, from different bloodlines.

They have exactly the same foods, the same portions, the same exercise. Both healthy as small horses.

One is slim and trim....the other is a definite fat girl. The foods selected, for both, are low-fat because the slim one has a tendency to tummy upsets if food is fatty....& the fat one needs no extra fat. Treats are limited....& handouts of any human food are forbidden (by order of our Diet Nazi Vet).

No one can explain why one is slim....the other fat.

Edited by mita

Our Rescue Rough Collie "Bundy" was only 19.6kgs when we got him, he is now 23.6kgs( after 5.5wks). he still needs a few more kgs on him as you can still feel his hips etc.

It all takes time and they need to be feed quality food.

I have added pasta/rice to Bundy's raw mince and vegies.I have also added Sasha's Blend to his diet and we will see how we go.

It also depends on the height of the collie- Bundy is probably close to maximum height so he can carry more weight than a dog who is at the lower end of the height scale.

Folks you SHOULD be able to feel a dogs ribs and hips without too much pressure. In a smooth coated dog you should be able to SEE the last three ribs.

Most Australian dogs are overweight. About 40% of them are technically obese. Sometimes feeling a lean dog is a shock if you aren't used to it. Don't assume that because you can feel a dogs ribs, it is underweight.

I suggest you read the 'corpulent canines' article at the attached link.

http://www.caninesports.com/fatdogs.html

For the record, its not what a dog weighs thats important - is how well you can feel ribs, hips etc.

Fat dogs lives are being shortened by well intentioned owners - they face a raft of medical issues due to their excess weight.

You can feel my dogs ribs, hips etc without too much pressure. :laugh: I keep them lean because they lead active lives and because I want them to have fit and happy senior years. :rolleyes:

Fat dogs lives are being shortened by well intentioned owners - they face a raft of medical issues due to their excess weight.

I'd say there's some physiological tendency in dogs (& people) to certain weight ranges their bodies keep returning to. Not simply a case of what owner does.

My experience is being congratulated by Diet Nazi Vet for 1 slim, trim dog....& frowned at for the other.

Only difference we can find....is that one female was desexed after 1 litter of puppies at age 3 yrs. The other had a number of litters of puppies before being desexed closer to age 8 years. Makes me interested in any evidence if hormonal activity has relation to weight gain in female dogs.

Mita:

My experience is being congratulated by Diet Nazi Vet for 1 slim, trim dog....& frowned at for the other.

Mita if you are feeding both the dogs the same food/potions I don't think this allows for the fact that one dog may have a higher metabolism than the other. Feed the chubby girl less - she may not like it but she will learn to live with it.

I have one "good doer" in my family. She gets far less than the other but eats it twice as fast. :(

Different dogs of the same size and breed can also have different activity levels. The slimmest dog in my family is a 'busy' dog. He never stops. Lily is more of a couch potato.

Edited by poodlefan

Funny it should be those two breeds - both my kids!

Collie dog at 20kg is NOT GOOD. I argue with any standard that says 25kg as well, my 3.5 year old bitch is 24kg and INHO I think she's too slim, under all that hair you can easily see where she's tucked up quite a bit... in a showring that's probably ideal, in my house I want a few more kg on here. Yeah... I think a collie dog should be 27, 30kg as far as I'm concerned!!! In saying that, some dogs are very hard to get weight on (trust me, I'm trying to get it on my bitch!)

And a lab pup at 50kg? My lab x pup is 31kg at 8 months, and I've just put him on a diet. Poor lil guy was fighting fit and fantastic but he hurt his knee, walks went out the window and he got a lil podge... If they have a lab at 50kg they need a good talking to :S You've ever right to rant!!!

Poodlefan, this collie's bones are too easy to feel. If he were short haired, you would be able to see his hip bones protruding.

Yes, he does get walked everyday, but other than that, I don't think he does much exercise.

I don't have a photo of the collie, but I have some of the Golden Retriever. They don't really show his weight very well though - his tail was wagging in two of them, and you can't see his figure for his tail! Here are the pictures:

Rimg1010.jpg

Rimg1008.jpg

Rimg1011.jpg

Rimg1012.jpg

ETA: Connor (the GR) is probably about 2 years old now.

Edited by Purple Julie

My Bella, is 19-20kg when last weight at the vets when she was desexed bout 6 months ago so she would be more now she is also still growing.

males should be bigger than females, bella runs around all day and then gets an hour walk at night so i have been feeding her a bit more lately as i thought she was getting skinny conpaired to my mums 12 yr old collie brandy is very over weight and has been put on a diet after the vet said she needed to be sn't a tall collie) she was 28kg and now is down to 24kg this was my fathers fault feeding her choc chippie biscuits at night time and my mum breaking her leg brandy wasnt getting walked as much (dad has to do it now hehe) just running around all day in the yard with the other dogs. To me they always look like they have a big bum with all that fur on them LOL.

have they wormed him? sometimes if they havent been wormed in awhile they lose weight id ont like the look of a skinny collie if you can see bones and feel them through there coat then thats all the sign you need feed them more pasta rice or dry to fetten them up.

My adult males a 9yr old and a 6yr old both weigh between 26 and 28 kilos depending on the day. Now they are both large framed boys, standing nearly 24 inchs at the shoulder, which is max height in the standard. My 10 month old boy wwighs in at 24 kilos, but he is not as tall and is still growing, my 6 month old is about 20kilos.

It is important that you can feel the ribs under a light layer of fat, as other people have said.

A dog weighing in at 20 kilos is too light, especially if an adult. I would suggest having him wormed, and feed he twice daily to get his condition up.

I have an 18 month old bitch whom I loving refer to as my hairy racing greyhound (yes she is a collie) and she is fed more than all my other dogs, and gets 2 meals a day, as she is like the energiser bunny always on the go.

Best of luck with Connor, hope to hear progress reports