Trial-itis!

Sparty

what is it with dogs and trials???

we had our first tracking prelim trial yesterday lovely day even with wet feet up to the ankle :D

Bodie who is wonderful in training, we had a mock trial 2 weeks ago and he was brilliant was shocking yesterday :laugh: he passed and im proud of him for that but it was like invasion of the body snatchers!! it was like a different dog!! wandering off unfocused it was such a surprise because he is normally so good !!

lol my older 2 pull this at obedience trials lol you fix one thing and something that was great previously suddenly becomes too hard DOH!!!

never mind me im just dissapointed for HIS sake i know how well he can do! :rolleyes:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Know all about that. Skye on her pre lim decided one patch of grass was just too tasty and no way was she going to finish the track until she had eaten the entire patch. She had to be dragged away in the end. Obviously failed, but she passed the second attempt.

Beck blitzed his prelim and Track 1 only to decide to go kangaroo hunting on Track 2.

Just sad that Tracking season is ended - snakes are out and about around here so not even any training...except sock games

lol there was dead calf pieces on my aunts track earlier talk about temptation for a lab!!! Rosie had a bit of leg and wasnt going any further, she passed but Linda got a talking to for being too harsh to get the dog away from the raw meat and bone!!

it was a great day yesterday :( LOL poor ppl on saturday had to contend with severe weather tho.

lol i got a talking to for talking too much after his personality change i was so shocked i couldnt shut up nervous chatter but his actions just threw me off, we have had practice trial before and he went beautifully

aaarrrrggghhhh !!!!!

melton trial today.. going really well, got to the stand for examination.sarty is regular on 19 or 20 for this every other trial he has been to, what happens today?? he stays at the post when i heel off *sob* what did he get pinged? 6 points what did he miss passing by?? 2 points waaaaaggghhhhhh!!!!! but on the plus side his heeling off lead was so much better !!!!

Dont put me off Sparty :eek:

I am getting ready to obedience trial my weim in november, so on sunday at training i had him put through a ring test.

I was so happy when he did the stand for exam perfectly, showed no fear, despite it being an exercise he has never been comfortable with. Then low and behold the recall which he has never had a problem with, he just sat and stared at me, with encouragement he started to edge forward. Then the person judging said you are doing it wrong the signal is this, and demonstrated a hands above your head recall, which my dogs were never trained with. my weim decided at that sight that he was not going to hang around and bolted in the opposite direction.

Some work to do i think.

Dogdayz do you go to westernport coz i saw the exact same thing happen Sunday if that was you your dog seemed very insecure when you left her/him and was sending out some pretty heavy stress signals i said to my hubby that dog will either not come or leave his friend wants to know if i can predict tatts now lol

Dont worry you will get there didnt see you work but im sure once you get her confidence up she will be fine

yb

Dogdayz dont be discouraged :) just know what can happen :clap: your perfect dog (well almost) on the training ground can have a brain melt down on the trial ground, well i think we could be contributing too im sure they can sense we are tense and nervous. that together with a new surroundings.... and they are not robots

enter to have fun/anticipate and the score secondary to start with ;) too high a expectations can lead to frustration , LOL im frustrated because he finally got his off lead work ok and he dozed through my heel command (after i got his attention)of a exercise he has never got less that 18 for in a trial (normally 20) we got 14 and he missed passing by 2 :(

A question Dogdayz- wen you did your recall which end of the ring did you do it from? If you did it from the Post end that is why your dog didn't come. it has been long recognised that you always place your dog for recall at the other end of the ring as recall is done after stand for exam from the post end and the dog needs to be able to distinguish the 2 exercises.

As for only losing 6pts for the dog not heeling off with you- you were lucky!as a former ANKC Obedience Judge this should have been a Zero score, unless the rukes have changed recently

Hi Inspecor have to disagree dog should be able to be left at either end If the dog is confused then that is a training issue you need to be able to take things like sun in eyes and wind so that you can leave your dog in the best possible position. Mine will be left at either end of the ring and will retrive from either side of the jump so if conditions dont suit one way i can go the other

yb

Yep YB that was us.

Unsure what made him stress exactly while he was waiting - he is normally unfussed. Suspect that just before in the group class stays dogs both side of him had repeatedly broken, then when i was returning their owners were already there and fussing around a bit. My boy decided to get up and come to me so i told him to stay. Suspect he was a bit disturbed by doing something wrong.

Add to that when i recalled him i think on reflection i said 'come' and not 'here' which is the command he is trained on (long story). So he probably got a bit unsure again, then finally someone flung their arms in the air and that was the last straw for him.

IR - he would normally recall either end, but the end he came from is his least favourable, as he had a crowd of dogs close behind him, and in the past he has had a lot of fear issues with dogs, hence as YB said he was looking insecure when i left him.

Not too worried as on reflection i think i put a lot of factors against him, and overall i was pleased as he did the stand for exam which is his usual weak point, and in the class he has worked well on and off lead. The ring trial threw him though, which i agree with sparty i suspect comes from me stressing.

Hi Dd

Yup that would do it im very careful who i do stays with because other people can have a huge effect on your dog and using the wrong command well been there before. AS for the guy waving his arms i was thnking what is he doing i wasnt surprised when your dog left i would have too with him doing that it just ppushed him to the limit

If you are at club and need help with ring work im happy to help i have a sheltie pup blue merle so just caome and say hi

yb

checked the rule book and it says

Failure to Leave the Starting Peg:

Should the dog require more than two commands to leave the Starting Peg in any one

exercise, it must be declared unmanageable and receive a Zero score for that exercise or

part exercise, whichever is applicable.

yb

YB it was you with the little blue sheltie pup - we actually waited for you to go by before doing the recall, as my boy was engrossed by your pup - we do our tracking training with some sheltie pups about the same age , so he was desperate to come over and see you.

Yes he looked like he wanted to come over another add to his stress so between all that happened is it really surpeising he decided to bail out lol

Dogs you gotta love em just when you think you have covered everything they come up with something new

One of the hardest things for dogs that do a lot of classes is being able to work alone in the busy enviroment of a class they tune out the other dogs but when they go into the ring and its only them and things are happening further away they often find it really hard to concentrate so if you are serious about trialling i'd be going all my training away from class and just joining them for stays if you can trust the other dogs

Who do you track with

yb

Edited by yogibear