Staffy With Itchy Skin

Aly

Hope someone may be able to help here. My staffy Aly has again developed itchy skin she rubs herslef constantly on carpet or grass to icth her tummy, then she breaks out in a terrible red rash with raw spots. Is there anything I can put on her to help, the vet has given her antihisamine tablets but they make her fat. Prefer something natural.... Helppp Please

my goodness..so many staffies have skin problems.

What diet does your dog eat?

Any supplements? ie Omega 3 and Omega 6, zinx, biotin, vitamins A, C E

if a fatty acid deficiency is suspected 1 teaspoon per 10kg each day of safflower oil may help. Sardines also add essential fatty acids.

Have you had allergy tests done?

An oatmeal bath can help calm and sooth the skin. 1/2 - 1 cup oatmeal into a sock or stocking and squeeze into water. Soak dog for 10 mins. 3 drops lavender oil can also be added to the bath water. Rinse dog thoroughly in luke warm water and allow to dry.

You may like to consdier a consultation with a reputable holistic vet for a full work up and prescription supplements.

Thaks for that bit of Info,, Aly eats Hills Prescription Diet Z/D Ultra Allergen-Free They are Veterinary Exclusive Pet Food. I cant give her any other type of biscuits as it gives her terrible wind and we all suffer,, Phewwww!

I havent tryed sardines so do I give her a whole tin with her biscuits or just a treat every now and again.

Thanks

Alys Mum :-)

You could ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist, it sounds as though your staffy might be atopic - a dermatologist can do skin testing to find that out. Unfortunately, if it is atopy, without pursuing allergy vaccines there is not a lot you can do to cure the itch, only relieve it.

Antihistamines won't make an animal fat by themselves, however they are often combine with a steroids, which will make an animal more hungry and subsequently fat if they are able to eat to match their hunger.

I would recommend a referral, and in the meantime a soothing oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. If the Z/d is part of a food trial, you'll need to feed that exclusively, however if it isn't then adding sardines etc is fine.

Dry food - yuck... Unfortunately mine lad has no choice...

But yours might (unless there are other heath issues, that we do not know about). Try some fresh meat and veges, works a treat. Ask the vet for some cream and antihisthamine (sp??)... I use Malaseb wash every fortnight on Ollie and he has not really had an itch for years, don't use it if there is broken skin - ask your vet... Malaseb has been great for us... Ollie used to get itchy feet every spring, due to where he was walking...

Also check your yard and where you walk her to see if there are any grasses that may have an effect. My sisters girl used to scratch herself raw, she now lives elsewhere and has not had an itch in years (it was because of the grass).

Some weed and feed fertilisers can make them itchy.

Any chance she is a predominantly outside dog??? If so, can she spend a few days inside to see if this makes a difference...

Good luck

Jodie

Thanks so much for the replys,,,

Aly is a inside dog she is very spoilt she does have a kennel outside but for some reason she thinks she is also a human :-)

I have a cream I use on her called Neotopic-H is makes a slight improvement and she is on once again tablets called Macrolone but they seem toincrease her appetite a lot. The dry food wasa suggestion from the vet, as its allergen free.

The suggetsion of meat and veges interests me, can you maybe suggest what kind of meat should it be raw or cooked and what veges.

The reason I'm asking here and looking for answers is because it usualy comes from people who have doggies of their own that has had similar experiences and have cured or at least helped their dog with out the costly expense of going backwards and forwrds to vet cos something hasnt worked.

Thanks again..

Alys mum :thumbsup:

Hi Aly,

For Ollie I always used what ever meat was on special (even better if it is organic)... I used Roo/Chicken/Turkey/Beef and a mixture of veges like carrot, zucchini, broccoli, swede, turnip, pumpkin and sweet potato... I used to grate up all the veges and dice up all the meat and cook lightly into a stew... No gravy... Just 50/50 meat and veges... You must make sure that you dog has bones to chew as a treat for this... I only cooked it because Ollie would not eat raw meat...

Bones are very important to supply nutrients that the dog will not get from the diet of meat and veges...

I used organic meat and veges more than just the stuff bought from the supermarket but I do not know if it really needs to be organic (personal choice)...

Good luck

Jodie

Macrolone is cortisone and will makedly increase appetite and thirst as well as frequency of urination. Nasty stuff and to be avoided if possible.

re the dry food. have a good look at the ingredients to make sure that grains are not included. remeber the ingredients are listed in order of their % of the food. Note starch is the first ingredient. Suspect grains but maybe potato.

just checked and it includes starch ?????????ethoxyquin (a preservative),

note: ethoxyquin is approved for human consumption in ONE application- to keep the colour in paprika..vastly different to forming a part of the every daily meal.

check here:http://www.executec.com/nutra.htm

http://www.holisticvetpetcare.com/ethoxyquin.htm

A home prepared diet is not difficult to manage ( I have 12 big dogs all fed home prepared )

potatoe, some orange sweet potato, pumpkin etc are fine.. just not grains.

I am suspicious when a product just states: "starch" as an ingredient esp for premiun dog food that it another disguise for grains in one form or another. I think if the starch were potato it would be advertised loud and clear.

Hi Aly,

Have you thought about the possibility of it being a contact allergy, perhaps to his bedding, or the carpet, or something in the garden?

My stafford used to get a bumpy rash on his belly, eventually we found out he was having an allergic reaction to one of the plants in our garden. Wandering Jew - apparently the allergy is quite common. Might be worth checking out?

:thumbsup:

Aly,

Amhailte is correct, you need to make sure that it is not a contact allergy..

When you start the meat and veges, can I suggest that you start with chicken, then try turkey, then beef, then roo as roo can be a little strong for some dogs until they are used to it... It can cause some wind :swear:

I would also be checking around your yard, in places where your dog lays and plays. Check the plants that are in these areas and make sure that they are not what is making your do itch...

Malaseb is also a great shampoo for itchy dogs, in summer we use it about every 7 to 10 days for a bath but in winter we only tub every fortnight...

Don't be tempted to put things like tea tree oil on the dog as this will only irritate it more...

Your dog sounds more like an Amstaff at the weight you described, would love to see a photo when you are able and have time... We can't get enough of dogs around here :thumbsup:

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Jodie

Well after all the info I have recieved over the last day.... Ive coooked Aly up a big pot of chicken and veges, all ready to freeze, cept kinda wondering how much a day of this sort of food do you allow?