Seperation Anxiety.....

Well, I put a question in another thread to K9 Force and thought I'd expand on it here....

Al:

Is it prey drive or just being a cheeky bugga that makes Chopper destroy everything as soon as we walk out the door. He has a million toys, mini pool etc but instead he will kill remotes, shoes, magazines, dig holes etc etc etc

K9: probably not, but not enough info to tell, if he is the Staffy in the pic it could be separation anx.

It makes alot of sense really. That would be why Chop does this.

A friend once said that Chopper would probably end up with this because of coming from having a very unsettled life then coming to us and being absolutely spoilt rotten.

Do you agree?

What can I do to stop this (and backing off from the spoiling and love will not happen :( but other suggestions would help) ????

Also do you think the anxiety will be reduced once the new puppy comes along?

Thanks everyone!!!!!

What can I do to stop this (and backing off from the spoiling and love will not happenĀ  but other suggestions would help) ????

Unfortunately, if you are not prepared to 'back off' on the spoiling, its unlikely you'll see much improvement. I am not an expert on separation anxiety but it seems to be related to leadership issues and to an owner who is not prepared to establish and maintain clear boundaries with your dog. Ramping down the affection when you come and go does seem to be part of managing the issue.

This is most definitely a behavioural issue that requires an inhouse consult from someone with expertise in the area.

I am no expert, and I'm sure that K9 can advise you better than me, but I'm sure I've read that it is best not to play and make a fuss of your dog in the 15 or so minutes before you go out, and the first 15 minutes when you get back, and also not to feed him within that timeframe either. Apparently if you do that it makes the dog desparately long for you to come home so that it can have more of all the good things.

its harddd thing to do!

I am busy in the morning so sunnie normally does his own thing but when i get home from work i find it hard to ignore him for 15 minutes..i do for a couple of minutes (until ive walked inside and i put my things down..go to the toilet etc) but its not 15 minutes and hes dieing for my attention.

The eyes and the crys oh its hardd

K9: my program for SA requires very little change from the person, & has been successful on 95% of the dogs I have prescribed it for...

First your dog needs to be correctkly diagnosed, then I would be giving an indication on the severity, then work out where you start in the program.

It is incredibly painful ignoring them when you get home. THey look at you and jump at you - I just breathe in deep and say, I'll talk to you when you settle. THen keep going about my business. He seems to be learning very very quickly that he has to be more settled on arrival.

I am not sure it solves him missing me though!

All good advice! If your dog is already destroying things as soon as you leave, regardless of the distractions you leave for him, it may be a good idea to get professional help now. It really is worth it.

There's some great articles on SA around here. Believe me, and I've been there, you really want to get this under control before it gets worse! And backing off on the spoiling a bit is a small price to pay, he'll be happier too as he's not as anxious all the time.

Getting another dog can help sometimes, but sometimes your dog is just so bonded with YOU that it's YOU he's anxious about being separated from, and another dog for company won't help. In fact, it can make it worse as he now has competition for your attention, and he may just end up teaching your new dog bad habits! I would try and get his behaviour under control first before introducing a new dog. :(

Both my girls have SA - Ruby is rather destructive when alone without appropriate activities and Lilly will get so worked up that she loses bladder control (and sometimes bowel control too). They are both indoor dogs but are not kept in the same area of the house b/c we are concerned about bickering over toys and so on, plus they "play rough" if allowed and we would more than likely come home to overturned furniture! :)

Even with appropriate and sufficient activities and company (TV and/or radio), Ruby still likes to destroy things, particularly anything upholstered or our bedding. She shreds her blankets which is fine, b/c they're HER blankets but when she repeatedly did the same with OURS, she was banished from our bedroom except when we are there.

We found that alone training helped somewhat, as does ignoring them when you come and go - but DH has to go through elaborate hello's to Ruby b/c he just doesn't understand that it's counter-productive to do this. :)

Anyway, you can try behaviour modification with the help of a trainer/behaviourist, you can try medication (either an anxiety reliever or a sedative), you can try leaving the dog appropriate activities, and you can buy a DAP diffuser. All of these measures will help. A DAP diffuser, IMO, is one of the most under-rated tools available to help anxious dogs or dogs going through anxiety-inducing incidents such as rehoming or boarding.

They're (finally!) again available in Australia, but I still purchase from the UK b/c it's so much cheaper that way.

PM me if you need/want more info - I'll try to help if I can. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your advice....... DOL has done it again !!!!! Where would I be without it ????

Well an update on the situation. We have very strictly stuck with the ignoring for 15-30mins before we leave and when we get home. Also majorly bringing in NILIF.

We have a new dog !!!!

I'm honestly sooooo proud of him. The first week we noticed a small change in his behaviour, 2nd week only the occasional thing was damaged and this week.... ready for it...... absolutely nothing chewed on (other than his toys), total calm when we get home and no holes dug.

As soon as we start revving up for games etc he gets all excited and now calms as soon as we call it quits.

Thank you everyone. You've not only helped us but you've helped Chopper enormously.

:rofl: to DOL