Collar Rash/sores

chilli

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an email from DPI regarding my enquiry into the use of e-collars.

Hi ...............,

Firstly I must apologise for the delay in answering your query, I have been extremely busy with a legislative project at the time and your email unfortunately got missed.

In regard to your query, yes there is legislation concerning e-collars in Victoria.

Basically they can only be used on dogs which have been vet checked as suitable health and temperament wise and the electronic collars use is under the supervision of either a registered vet or an approved dog trainer (under the Domestic (Feral & Nuisance) Animals Act 1994). The legislation concerning use of e-collars can be found the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations.

If you wish to have a look at the legislation it can be found on www.dpi.vic.gov.au/animalwelfare

Regards

Cathy Pawsey

Bureau of Animal Welfare

So my point is, why didnt Chilli take her dog and the collar back to her Vet or Dog Trainer to have it looked at?

:thumbsup:

aahh erm...

hey everyone...sorry to cause a disagreement between any of you.

I just thought that I should let you know that Chilli's sores cleared up after about four days of continual antiseptic washes and drying powder.

After consulting with my vet it was believed that the collar probes and the fact that the collar was fitted very firmly not allowing for any real movement (which is how the trainer fitted the collar when the hidden fence thingy was installed) and a combination the extremely hot wet muggy weather we were experiencing here in Brissie at the time created the hotspot type sores.

All is well now, collar has been loosened a to allow movement of the collar and the prongs, circulation of air etc and Chilli has to be penned in at night time or inside with us, as after only one day of being without this collar Chilli the Houdini made a reappearance with avengance...and got out four times in as many hours.

I now know however to check his neck/collar area every day or two for any signs of irritation, and have it on his neck fairly loosely so that he can still hear the warning beeps given by the collar to warn him off the fencelines.

Thanks to all who shared concern and gave advice.

Although the collar and fence may seem to some to be a form of cruelty, they are for us and for Chilli a necessary evil as no amount of training or quality time spent with him curbed his desire to roam and visit the neighbourhood friends he had made, and earlier this year was hit by a car on one of his early morning jaunts out and about, costing us near a $1000 and causing him obvious pain and suffering.

And as rehoming Chilli or putting him in the pound was never an option the hidden fence seemed to be a good option and until he started with the sores was a very successful one as well.

Thanks again

Renee