11 Month Old Weim Problems

HeidiB

Busta can only eat at the moment Goat (protein) & sweet Patatoe (carbs) & Horse Bones to chew on. The Goat comes in a fresh Mince form in a packet, I have just began this diet last week & it goes for 6 weeks.

Ok... if she is having goat and munching on horse bones then you can give her both those meats which you can get in mince... here's a good trick: grab a pack of mince and roll it up into balls (like you would for meat balls only a bit smaller)... then you put them on a plate and microwave them for a few mins... about 2-3 depending on how big they are... They cook and stick together and there is nothing but the meat in them!!! Then you can break them in to bits as you are training!

Warning: goat and horse is pretty stinky when you cook it!

I was told by Murdoch that I can give Busta fruit as a treat as dogs arn't allergic to it they have found. So I give her cut up Pear, Banana & Pineapple, she seems to like it at the moment. That suxed when she was on the ZD diet as it was ZD for everything!

Yep, the fruit is good too... but its good to have other things as they get bored... mine like to eat some fruit, but don't really like it enough to work for it... the z/d sucks big time!!!

I used to do obedience on the w/end at Carine Open Space & I love teaching Busta tricks & hope when she is of age to start agility with her. She also does Tracking with Trackwest at Gnangara Pine Tree plantation in the Cooler months.

Cool... agility is great fun... let me know if you have probs getting into agility at Northern Subs (I think they are pretty full up atm) and I can give you the info for my club if you would like...

I was thinking about doing tracking next winter with mine for fun... You'd know Judy then... we do obedience with her ;)

I'm an artist & paint all of the down south WA region like Margaret River so thats may be why u thought I lived down South.

That could be it because I did go and look at your site... lovely paintings... I really liked the one of the horses and the one you did for Amlovinya :(

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comments on my art Dan :(

Thanks for the mince meat ball trick, I would not of thought of that so I will deffinetly try it this w/end.

We know Judy at tracking, she always does Busta's tracking trials. It's great to do tracking, Busta enjoys it so much & I think dogs love having a job to do & using their nose is so natural for them.

Zayda & Asher are soo cute......do they go to the dog beach much at Hillarys?

Good luck with the mince balls... a friend of mine put me onto them.... you get all sorts of tricks in your arsenal once you've had allergic dogs for a while... they teach you all sorts :(

They do love having a job to do... agility and obedience is the same for my dogs...

Zayda & Asher are soo cute

Thanks ;)

We used to go to the beach... but Asher gets ear infections from it (he's an underwater swimmer)and he is hediously allergic to propleyne glycol which they use in a lot of products, including ear cleaners... it REALLY burns him... Because of this he is dead scared of things in his ears... so if he does get an ear infection we have to have him sedated (which he also has issues with - took a long time to wake from the last one) and he will have to have tubes (shunts) surgically implanted in his ears so that we can get the drops in... its just not worth it!!!

So no more beach for us ;) They have their paddle pool and play in the sprinklers... that will have to do...

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

OMG!! Poor Asher! That would be awefull!

Ear drops are hard, my partner & I have to do it as a team effort, she is so fed up with them.

I used to put the epi-otic when cleaning her ears on cotton wool then wipe her ears out but Murdoch said u should never try cleaning with cotton wool insted wait for the debre to come to the surface naturley.

So with Busta's new ear cleaner Dexamethasone that we have to give Dailey we put a nozzel on the end that it comes with & squeeze it in her ear then massage, we usually end up coverd in it we she shakes her head afterwards & when she stuggles when we try to keep her still :( .

Busta has a paddle pool that I have to set up for her soon too ;)

Edited by HeidiB

Yeah it sucks big time!! He is my wimpy boy... We give his immunotherapy to him orally because he is also scared of needles (he reacts to vaccinations)... he's a sook, but to be fair with the nasty reactions he has had its really not surprising...

Zayda is my tough little girl... she doesn't complain... she races out the back at the vets to get her needls :mad When I had to do her ears every second day (don't have to do them at all now ;) ) she got so used to it that it was a one person job... so easy... Eye drops are a two person job, but its a bit scary seeing something coming for your eye!!

I'd hate to even try eye drops with Asher - he'd be terrified!!

They make a mess with the ear cleaners don't they - its an outside job ;)

My dogs are really good with pills though - just chuck them on top of their food and they get eaten... its just as well with all the suppliments and antihisamines and stuff!!!

We're going to set up another paddle pool this summer, but full of white sand so they can make sand wallows in it... hopefully that'll keep them happy: grass, sand and water (and hopefully the new grass wont get dug up - although they are trying to eat it out of the ground atm :( )

Dan

HeidiB, you asked if any of these issues could be genetic. I'm far from a Weim expert but my immediate reaction to these issues was to wonder if your vet had given Busta a thyroid check... Weims can be prone to thryroid issues and these can manifest as skin problems initially.

What bloodwork has your vet done on her?

I got this from the Weim Club of America's website for breed related health issues.

Hypothyroidism -

Inadequate output of the thyroid hormone causing the coat to thin, becoming coarse, brittle and falling out easily. Other signs that develop gradually are lethargy, obesity, drooping of the eyelids, mental dullness, and irregular heat cycles. Mild thyroid deficiency frequently goes undetected. Diagnosis involves a blood test. Treatment: requires lifetime treatment with thyroid hormone.

If Busta's breeder isn't doing the right thing by you, I'd suggest you contact your State Weim club - or another state's if WA doesn't have one. Your best source of advice on breed specific health issues will be a knowledgeable Weim person.

I think you are on the right track removing cereals from her diet... it should help with the ear issues at the very least. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Ah... I forgot the genetic question... yep, allergies do normally have a genetic component, related to immune system issues.

Weims are also a dilute colour and it is believed that this is related to allergies too... Both my dogs are dilute colours too... Although of course that doesn't mean that every dog that is dilute colour will be allergic and that a dog that isn't dilute will not be allergic...

But you have to know how to breed with dilute colour stock to help avoid these issues...

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

hmmmm... thanks poodlefan for ur advice on the thyroid gland, I'm not sure exactley what the blood test intailed that Busta has had but I will mention it to the vet :)

I thought it was a common thing for Weimas to have allergies & that explains part of the reason why zayda_asher I would think with Weimaraners have a diluted coloured coat.

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about Busta :) Poor thing. Wow shes allergic to alot of things :) I feel for you with her allergies, I've had similar problems with Bailey (not to that extent) I can't believe the breeder dosen't want to help :cry: It must be a weimy thing when it come to allergies :eek:

Hypothyroidism -

Inadequate output of the thyroid hormone causing the coat to thin, becoming coarse, brittle and falling out easily. Other signs that develop gradually are lethargy, obesity, drooping of the eyelids, mental dullness, and irregular heat cycles. Mild thyroid deficiency frequently goes undetected. Diagnosis involves a blood test. Treatment: requires lifetime treatment with thyroid hormone.

IMO I would get her checked for that when you go to the vet next time, that could be part of the problem. I had Bailey checked for that about 8 months ago and he was on the borderline, hes getting retested in a couple of months :mad Aparently it dosen't always show up on the blood tests until there abit older. So I am getting him retested just incase his levels have changed.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions. Hope shes feeling better soon. Give her a big hug from Bailey :mad

Edited by Weimlover

I just have to say that this thread has been a wealth of information. I am not sure if people have read elsewhere, but Mika is in the middle of treatment for allergies...

I had not thought about goat meat - so might try that next... she reacted to the roo too much (not so much scratching, but digestion wise - it was too strong).

Does anyone have images of the rashes that their dogs come up in with a flare up? I would be interested in seeing the difference between the yeast and the staf infections. I know that these can often appear very similar.

Mika has no problems with her ears at all... but we keep them pretty dry and clear.

Her licking spots are between her toes, base of the tail/back, her entire belly and down the back legs. Anywhere she scratched, she'd nick the skin and an infection would start.

We are treating for mange, but tests came back negative (we are treating for everything all at once regardless).

She is on pred, but it has not worked like last time and she's still scratching (albeit minor compared to a week ago)...

This whole allergy thing is frustrating.

Our next step will be the blood tests or the needle tests...

thought you Wei people might like to read this

What is Weimaraner immunodeficiency?

In this disorder, there are deficiencies in a part of the immune system. The result is an increased susceptibility to various types of infection.

How is Weimaraner immunodeficiency inherited?

unknown.

What breeds are affected by Weimaraner immunodeficiency?

Weimaraner

For many breeds and many disorders, the studies to determine the mode of inheritance or the frequency in the breed have not been carried out, or are inconclusive. We have listed breeds for which there is a consensus among those investigating in this field and among veterinary practitioners, that the condition is significant in this breed.

What does Weimaraner immunodeficiency mean to your dog & you?

Dogs with this condition are affected at a young age with recurring fevers and infections of the skin and muscle.

How is Weimaraner immunodeficiency diagnosed?

This disorder is uncommon. Your veterinarian may begin to suspect an immune deficiency when your pup has recurring infections. Laboratory tests will help with the diagnosis.

For the veterinarian: Circulating IgG and IgM levels are decreased, and neutrophil function is impaired. (Both humoral and phagocytic functions are affected with this disorder.)

How is Weimaraner immunodeficiency treated?

Antibiotics are used as needed to treat the infections. There is no treatment for the condition itself.

Breeding advice

Affected dogs should not be used for breeding, and close relatives should be screened to determine that they have normal neutrophil function and immunoglobulin levels before being considered for a breeding programme.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DISORDER, PLEASE SEE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

Resources

Ackerman, L. 1999. The Genetic Connection: A Guide to Health Problems in Purebred Dogs. p. 100. AAHA Press, Lakewood, Colorado.

Given from what InspectorRex posted about Weimaraner immunodeficiency , I believe this may be the cause of allot of Busta infections. I have just emailed my vet about it & hopefully Busta can be tested to see if she has it.

So sorry to hear u are having problems too TianaKaeSha, other meats they may be of use to u is: Donkey, Horse, Ostrich, Camel or Turkey.

Also for the way of carbohydrates to go with the meal try: Sweet Patatoe, Lentils, Pumpkin, Barley or Kidney Beans.

Here is a guideline for feeding home cooked diets.

1.jpg

Here is a picture of Busta's inner thighs, see the small white patches, that's skin related allergies caused by a yeast infection I think. They used to be a bit red but have settled down now.

a.jpg

Edited by HeidiB

My goodness :) You poor things !

I too found this thread a wealth of information and are delighted at so many wonderful suggestions.

I have a dogo argentino cross (pink skin, known for allergies etc.) and although I've been quite lucky with her, she gets severe cistitis if fed dry food for over 3 days in a row... (needing to urinate every 5 minutes and she passes severe blood clots instead of urine !) Once I let it go all weekend giving her just the regular "spasfon" to ease her spasms and she got a vaginal infection with a pussy discharge which cleared up quickly with anti-biotics. Since then I feed her a "soup" (selection 7 by Royal Canine) which unfortunately is not available in Oz (too low quality maybe ?) which is a mix of cereals and protein "balls" to which I add boiling water . I also add some meat and fresh veg to add taste and vitamins but with this, she doesn't get cistitis / infections at all !

As for cleaning ears, my vet gave me a very cheap alternative...

1/3 ether

1/3 alcohol

1/3 water

This mixture is liquid enough to clean and "dry" enough, (ether & alcohol), to avoid fungus from forming. I put this on a wad of cotton that I form into a point (to get in far enough) and clean religiously once a fortnight. Just a suggestion if the purse straps are a bit tight...

Good-luck and I hope that her puberty is less painful than her babyhood !

pampa, seems like u have to be very carefull with ur girl to avoid cistitis & infections.

That sounds awefull the Cistotis, i'm happy u have found something that works for u now with feeding her the soup :thumbsup:

Apart of the agnony when these things happen with our dogs is the not knowing WHY or WHAT causes it & how to PREVENT it.

That would have to fustarte me the most!

Heidi

HeidiB, I forgot to add that each injection my boxer receives, he comes up in hard "knots" under the skin in the approximate spot he was injected and it takes weeks and weeks to go away... At this stage don't worry about them... You have enough other things on your plate !

I measured Busta's Lump today since it has been the two weeks I was waiting for to see if it's reduced in size & it has!!!! It was 2.8x3.5cm & is now 2.5x3cm WOO! HOO!

That would mean we don't have to have it removed & that its going down itself with treating it with the anti-biotic Clavulox .

I'm off to the vets this morning to get Busta all checked out & see what the vets say :)

Fingers crossed that these aren't early signs of immunodeficiency, Heidi :(

In regards to the vaginitis, I have a feeling that DOLer 'Benson's Weim, 'Bronte' had a few complications re: vaginitis and de-sexing - she may be able to throw some info your way :(

Tess has the same white spots on her tummy too - they vary from whitish to reddish, but they don't seem to concern her :laugh:

Edited by Pheeble