Lure Coursing

jeff

Gone are the days when we have to persuade Nat to turn up at Lure Coursing :confused:

What can I say, all that fun and no effort required :rofl:

Nat

Guest cloverfdch

Hopefully we will be able to make it to one of those days, i would like to try Clover again :confused:.

The Wonthaggi show is and Ag show PC, mainly horses though.

just checked my super dooper calender and flyball is on the 14th, might merit staying down in melbourne overnight .. but then i cant bring all the dogs ahhh dilemma!!!! will have to think on this as hubby might crack it going away both days in the weekend :confused:

Sorry to hijack,

I have a Whippet x Kelpie (3/4 whippet) who some of you may know from the rescue forum, Midnight from Perth...

He is now down in Melbourne and I'd be interested in Lure Coursing - BUT after a week's obedience work, his recall is 90%. If I do take him to course, will this destroy any chance of getting a good recall all the time? Also, will it attract him to chasing small fast things... heh. I can tell him to "leave", and he will (including cats etc in the street) but will this not help his training?

What age can they start coursing? He is approx 10 months, and EXTREMELY fit.

We are going to try sheep herding and maybe agility, when he's old enough.

post-13-1133318926.jpg

Mel - it *could* effect your recall if you try and recall him and fail. And a LOT of the dogs won't recall because they are very very excited and hyped up. When the lure stops the dog stops so you should be able to walk over and just put him back on leash and leave.

Nat

What age can they start coursing? He is approx 10 months, and EXTREMELY fit.

Mel the risk isn't over-taxing a dog through lack of fitness: this would more likely risk an old dog with a bit of overweight and a dodgy ticker than a youngster like yours.

But the stresses of cornering at speed in lure coursing does up the ante on what a dog normally does running around chasing a ball. Ten months is a bit young to intentionally put so much stress on bone/joints/tendons. I think dogs are not generally accepted to start Agility training til 18 months. Flyball is 12 months: but then they are doing much slower steady work for the first 3-6 months training, not launching into full runs over jumps from day-one. One of my vets is dead set against lure-coursing because of what he/she calls un-natural turning stress. (The same vets are anti-flyball for the same reasons). Just a thought, not saying don't do it, but ten months really is not fully mature.

Thanks PC :rolleyes:

I thought I'd take him out to the sheep herding place (which also does LC) near the airport as that's where my friend goes and see what the trainer there says.

Having read your above post though - this dog happily zigzags and does dead stops at full gallop... Quite funny to watch. I didn't allow my Great Dane to exercise off leash until he was 2, due to leg/bone management etc, but if I didn't let this guy run off leash he'd probably go bonkers...

We probably wouldn't go for a good few months though - what with Christmas coming up, plus the horse events that I've got on, so would be the right age to start possibly in about Feb.

Thanks Tess - we'll work on the obedience for a little while longer before coursing :)

IMO a cross section of regular exercise is best. In otherwords, some running (chasing balls, bike riding - you ride the bike, the dog runs incase you're wondering!) - ie aerobic exercise; some light trotting/walking; over flats and up and down hills; swimming. Rest in between and change of exercise has, as I understand it, a better effect on muscle strength and recovery.

Combine all this with a sport such as agility is good too.

ETA: Is this what you mean, Anne?

Edited by Erny

IMO a cross section of regular exercise is best.  In otherwords, some running (chasing balls, bike riding - you ride the bike, the dog runs incase you're wondering!) - ie aerobic exercise; some light trotting/walking; over flats and up and down hills; swimming.  Rest in between and change of exercise has, as I understand it, a better effect on muscle strength and recovery.

Combine all this with a sport such as agility is good too.

ETA:  Is this what you mean, Anne?

Yep Erny exactly what I meant :)

Jake does need to loose a little bit of weight that he put on over winter, though only a little bit, but I want to get him fit for starting agility next year and also really want to have a go at the lure coursing and it will help get me motivated too :rolleyes:

Thanks

Anne

Edited by Cheyenne_Fury

One of my vets is dead set against lure-coursing because of what he/she calls un-natural turning stress. (The same vets are anti-flyball for the same reasons). Just a thought, not saying don't do it, but ten months really is not fully mature.

um i wonder what the Vet would consider natural then? not picking but rabbits and other prey animals rarely run in straight lines :confused:

moderation would be a key here maybe 2 runs well apart?? usually the first run is pretty slow trying to get the dogs interested in the lure (well some dogs) and as you have said he is very fit :rolleyes:

good luck with whatever you decide :)

Jen