Drainage Tubes

imy

Hi all,

My boy has a sore neck. It happened this morning and the wound doesn't look TOO big (for a greyhound, soft skin) but the problem lies under the skin.

About a foot of skin around his neck has pulled away from the muscle and created a pocket of air and blood. The vet will insert a drainage tube through the puncture wounds when he stitches them.. but I'm worried.

What are the chances that something might go wrong under there???

post-22-1133137294.jpg

Oh no.

I just went to visit him at the vets. He has been stitched up but looks 500% yuckier than in that pic! He is all shaved and dripping gunk and shivering and looking BAD.

I just want work to end so I can take him home!

:'(

Oh your poor baby Imy! What happened to cause the injury? He may still be in shock from the injury and surgery, perhaps that is why he is shivering? I do hope he pulls through, I'm sure your vet is taking good care of him. Sending :thumbsup::hitself::o s your way.

Regards,

Corine

It will look worse Imy, before it starts to heal, but from those pics you've posted, it really needed to be cleaned and the edges trimmed. More importantly, they would have reattached all the skin underneath.

Small wounds create big suture lines as there is only one way you can trim and restitch without the skin puckering. That's pretty normal.

I'm sure he'll be fine, give it a couple of weeks and it will all be looking better. :confused:

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

My pooooor boy... here is the new damage.

the skin had to be tacked back down where it had come away from the muscle and a drainage tube inserted.

At least his is home now and sorta feeling happier...well, he ate this morning, went outside for a huuuge pee and had a big drink. Things MUST improve from here on in :confused:

post-22-1133213981.jpg

It might look gross but it's good he has drains to keep the wound open. If it seals off too early they can get a big build up of fluid (or even pus) under the skin.

This happened to my boy Jack who got a bite to the neck. Despite flushing the wound twice daily the entrance healed too quickly and he developed a big sausage shaped fluid collection around his neck which had to be opened up and drained again (not pus luckily, just serous fluid.) HEaled nicely once it drained properly.

Jo

Phew!

I know it looks gross but its good... it was just scary to take him in with a little bit of blood and have him come out with LOTS all over the place (and dripping on the floor! *gag*)

It looks like the tube goes right through his neck... like one of those joke arrow or axe head-bands you can get!

today he seems better than yesterday... I caught him peeking to see if I was looking at him and if he thought I WAS looking he put on the very sad face...when he thought I wasn't looking, he stretched a little to lick up crumbs on the bed!

Dag

IMY

A couple of years ago,my little fella impaled himself on a broken tree branch(the left side of his belly)I freaked ....I could see his intestines...It was about 3cm gash,but thank goodness it didnt hit anything else just riped the skin and muscle.Once the Vets had finished with him though it was 3 times as long with 2 drains and bout 10 stitched.It Healed up sooooooo well you can't even see a scar,only thing, is that the gash went through a large black spot and they didn't line it back up(i told them it was lucky they weren't carpet layers LOL) :rofl:

Try not to worry too much you'll be amazed as to how well it will heal

Cheers Megs :confused:

My understanding is that the drain will allow the wound to heal from the inside out. Although it looks far worse, the real damage was hidden b4. Now the wound has a chance to heal properly.

Best wishes, he looks like lovely boy. Let us all know how he fares.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

A few years ago my GSD had a head-on collision with my DingoX which resulted with a huge swelling just behind the eyebrow area. The vet placed a drainage tube which stuck out at the side of her head. It was constantly leaking & I had to keep telling myself that it was the pus coming out, not her brains!

She would sit, leaning over with the most appreciative look on her face whilst the dingo licked around the wound, cleaning it. He would do this several times a day.

Although it was distressing to see the tube sticking out of her head, watching the the gentle interaction between the two dogs was priceless!

Sam

All good news so far.

Gingk's wound is looking better and he is being more

like his usual self. He gets his drainage tube out

tomorrow which should be right as it isn't as drippy

now. I'm going to get them to shave the matted bit

were all the drips have dried on his fur. It won't

hurt to have a little more shaved fur and it can't be

good for his skin. I've tried washing it but he gets

upset by that.

So far so good!

(Look how much he loves the camera! I swear he thinks its going to steal his soul!)

post-22-1133484789.jpg

Well, I took the tube out last night :D

It was freaky but the vet assured me I could do it.

I've been bathing the wound with plain old warm water once a day to clean it up a bit and the skin which is 'slothing' off is almost all gone now (the bit which looks like a scab around the bottom of the tube) It was caused by being wet from the tube and the 'de-gloved' skin not really getting enough blood-flow.

Gingko is feeling better and is almost bouncey again. He has a funny head slant to one side where he is sore but I'm confident it will disappear as it hurts less. He is already correcting it a little.

He had a check-up on Saturday morning and all seems well, I was give some cream to keep the wounds a bit softer and it has some topical antibiotics in it too....

Now I'm not looking forward to taking the stitches out myself... which the vet says I should do myself too! (I think because Gingko STRESSES at the vets)

No pics yes, but will try to get some tonight!

Ooouch, Poor thing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm glad he's feeling better :thumbsup: That drainage tube looks sore.

Well, I took the tube out last night

It was freaky but the vet assured me I could do it.

God :thumbsup: Your heaps better than me :thumbsup: I don't think I could do that.

Edited by Weimlover

LOL... I was more scared he'd bite me if I did it wrong. He was very brave.

It was the weirdest thing... looked like a worm moving under the skin when I slowly pulled it out... like in a sci-fi movie! Gross!