Confuse Re. Food

cleo

firstly I'm so sorry that you have a dog that apparently can't tolerate fresh, whole, raw foods. That's really sad. I've never known a dog that couldn't or didn't do well on whole, raw foods. I've known dogs that couldn't tolerate one particular protein source, for example, or one type of vegetable, but never any dog that can't eat any fresh, whole, raw foods. My goodness, that means that processed foods would likely cause the same trouble if they're using similar ingredients.

When did i say my dog can't tolerate 'fresh, whole, raw foods'? It's not the raw food that's the problem....the problem is when it's his complete diet, i tried just lamb, just turkey, just chicken, just beef as the meat sources...didn't matter. Knocked back the amount and up'ed the kibble again and problems went away quickly. EG he put weight back on, in that his ribs, hips and backbone didn't reach out and smack you for which i was grateful.

It just means that BARF as a complete diet does not suit my dog...so be it. It doesn't bother me any at all, my boys get bones a couple of times a week, sometimes as part of the meal sometimes as the entire daily ration...depends on what i get.

I mean read what i wrote rather then jump on something and running with it and trying to make me feel 'guilty perhaps?' in the process.

regarding the dental issues with processed, you can't see the foods sticking to the teeth and gums, as it's the residue that is left behind that does the damage in the long-term.

Well...My older boy who is 9 and a half or so was fed a kibble, and cheap kibble at that, for most of his life. He'd get leftovers, scraps and bones once a week or so but that was his diet...and his teeth have never been 'cleaned' nor needed it. And using the teeth idea isn't going to make me feel guilty either...seeing as i have seen several dogs with worn or broken teeth due to a high bone diet :rofl: For every high point i can give you a low point...but then again i see benefits in both types of diets...which you obviously can't.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your dog's food issues - I wonder what else you could have done? Perhaps changed the protein sources?

Tried that...made no difference, put him on a higher percentage of Royal Canin and his condition improved...i'm not arguing with the result...i'm just happy that my dog is looking good now. If he had done better on BARF i would have stuck with that...hell if he'd done better on fish and chips he'd be on that for the rest of his days....don't care what i have to buy...i'll feed him what suits him.

And I do believe that raw is cheaper.

Perhaps for many it is....but it wasn't for me, especially since one of my boys wasn't doing well on it :bottom:

That feeds one large dog, one medium dog and one tiny dog. I couldn't feed even the cheapest processed for that, assuming that the dogs could tolerate it!

I was feeding one older dog who is 40kg's and a pup who at 16months is now 45kg's.

And an 'intolerance' if anything like my reaction to seafood means that the body will reject the food at all costs...even a smidgen of it in something else will make me a very very sick chicken. My dogs love their bones and raw food, it just doesn't suit one of mine in regards to a complete full diet.

Whats the matter   :cheer:
showdog   :cheer:

I think what Showdog is getting at with the :mad is Lillysmum's posts pushing Barf as if it is the only food that you should even consider feeding your dog. No matter that your dog may already be doing beautifully on what you are already feeding them.

Hell, i don't particulaly like Hills kibble, just by personal preference...but i'm not out saying "that stuff's crap, you should feed this instead or you are harming your dog" :wave: Once again if your dog is doing well...and you are happy and your dog is healthy then there is no need to change unless YOU feel you want to try your dog on something else.

Edited by KitKat

I'm sorry you feel that I'm providing you with a guilt trip KK, b/c that's not what I'm about. I'm merely reporting the advantages I've seen in feeding a raw, whole foods diet as compared to feeding processed food diets. And I guess that I do encourage everyone with a dog or cat to investigate feeding a raw, whole foods diet, b/c I dislike multinational corporations feeding our pets garbage just to make a buck. It stinks. :mad

If your experiences are different, then that's great! We're all here to learn and to share our knowledge, aren't we? :wave:

I used to feed processed foods (with the occasional "recreational bone") b/c I didn't really investigate the alternatives. Now that I have, and have been successfully feeding whole, raw foods for almost three years, I wish to share what I have learnt (and continue to learn). Why buy processed expensive foods when you can buy whole, fresh foods and know exactly what your dog is eating b/c it's right there in its original form (or close to original in the case of animal parts)? That's my philosophy and that's my bias. But if it doesn't work for a particular dog, then it doesn't work. It's a shame, but what can you do? Obviously you do what's best for the individual dog taking account of all the circumstances that apply.

Again, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I posted. My intention is to show that there are choices out there and how to go about finding alternatives, should a person choose to investigate further. :cheer:

My intention is to show that there are choices out there and how to go about finding alternatives, should a person choose to investigate further. :rofl:

That's great...but actually give people options, tell of your experiances...but don't push the 'product' as if it's the only good/decent thing to feed your dog. It would be like me pushing RC as the only way to go since it's what one of my dogs does well on :p

I promo a dry food as a part time job (trust me, it's for the enjoyment of meeting/helping people rather then the money lol), but i don't just push push push my product, i'll offer my help on any of the foods. However i do try and steer people towards the Super Premium kibbles as i think they are the way to go if feeding dry food. However i also include info on BARF - eg - "The super premium foods or barf are the better options available for your dog" etc etc. If they ask for more info on BARF i give them a quick rundown and advise them to google it :(

I give people the option...i don't just say "buy this particular brand, otherwise you aren't doing right by your dog" And the best you can do for your dog...is feed them what they do well on whether that be Barf, kibble or ham and cheese sandwiches :rofl: :p

(with the occasional "recreational bone")

As to recreational bones, they to me mean those huge cow legs bones etc...i very rarely use them as i could toooo easily imagine my dogs snapping a tooth on them. The bones my dogs got/get are turkey (bums, wings, legs, necks), chicken (necks, wings, legs, maryland, whole, and frames), lamb (necks, flaps, offcuts), beef (soup bones, necks, ribs), pork (hocks, ribs, trotters, offcuts) etc etc. In fact tonight the boys dinner is a large pork hock each as i managed to get six of them at a pretty good price :rofl:

Showdog - ;) :( and i so like that little cheer smilie :p

That's great...but actually give people options, tell of your experiances...but don't push the 'product' as if it's the only good/decent thing to feed your dog. It would be like me pushing RC as the only way to go since it's what one of my dogs does well on :p

I promo a dry food as a part time job (trust me, it's for the enjoyment of meeting/helping people rather then the money lol), but i don't just push push push my product, i'll offer my help on any of the foods. However i do try and steer people towards the Super Premium kibbles as i think they are the way to go if feeding dry food. However i also include info on BARF - eg - "The super premium foods or barf are the better options available for your dog" etc etc. If they ask for more info on BARF i give them a quick rundown and advise them to google it :(

I give people the option...i don't just say "buy this particular brand, otherwise you aren't doing right by your dog" And the best you can do for your dog...is feed them what they do well on whether that be Barf, kibble or ham and cheese sandwiches :rofl: :p

(with the occasional "recreational bone")

As to recreational bones, they to me mean those huge cow legs bones etc...i very rarely use them as i could toooo easily imagine my dogs snapping a tooth on them. The bones my dogs got/get are turkey (bums, wings, legs, necks), chicken (necks, wings, legs, maryland, whole, and frames), lamb (necks, flaps, offcuts), beef (soup bones, necks, ribs), pork (hocks, ribs, trotters, offcuts) etc etc. In fact tonight the boys dinner is a large pork hock each as i managed to get six of them at a pretty good price :rofl:

Showdog - :rofl::( and i so like that little cheer smilie :p

KK, I don't give recreational bones any longer, b/c my dogs have no need for them. I *used to think* that giving processed foods (both canned and kibble) plus the weekly bone, was the best thing anyone could feed their dog. I have learnt a lot since then.

I don't simply "push" feeding raw, whole foods. But I do discuss processed and whole raw foods, particularly Innova EVO. Failing that, I urge others to consider any of the very expensive and very fine American imports(that genuinely are considered "super premium") such as California Natural, Eaglepack Holistic, and Innova's range, as all are quality processed foods.

I have absolutely no professional interest in processed or other dog foods. That is, I don't make money from "selling" one or another...I merely like to give ppl information b/c I didn't have such information until 3 yrs ago and I wish I'd known years earlier, b/c then I could have stopped supporting companies that test all kinds of things on (usually homeless, unwanted) animals much sooner.

I am enthusiastic about fresh, whole raw foods. Apart from the fantastic results my own dogs continue to have, I really can't stand multinationals like Colgate Palmolive for example, (that tests cosmetics and other products for humans using animals including cats and dogs) making huge amounts of money from ppl that feed their dogs and cats on products owned by CP. And CP is not alone in this. Many processed pet food manufacturers also conduct tests on animals and that is immoral and unnecessary today. Yet they continue to do so b/c they *can*, b/c the public is generally quite ignorant of what goes on, or perhaps they simply don't WANT to know b/c it's so distressing.

And before anyone "accuses" me, I am not a member of any animal welfare organisation, nor do I support many of these org's tactics or ideals. I've been involved in researching animal welfare issues for more than half my life (I'm 40 now), and I use as much independent material as I can get my hands on (difficult b/c most of this abuse happens behind tightly locked doors for obvious reasons). So that's my bias. That's why I don't "push" processed foods, except the select few from manufacturers that behave ethically and treat animals with care, dignity and respect (as they deserve).

If anyone here genuinely believes that this type of testing is acceptable or perhaps harmless, I'd have to ask: are you willing to allow such companies to test on *your* dog or cat?

Sorry if this seems O/T, but it's not. Find out exactly which multinational owns the brand of dog food you buy. Find out what else they manufacture. Find out how they test products or ingredients. And decide what is right for you, and more importantly, for the lab animals they "employ" in order to conduct their dirty tests.