Obedience In Perth

sandyl

Hi there,

The one you're thining of in Vic Park is Perth Training & Obedience Dog Club.

Their website is here

From what I've heard, it is well worth the drive from Morley to Vic Park to go to this club. I'll be going next year, and I'm in Yokine.

Not sure of any clubs closer to Morley, there is Northern Suburbs but they train at Carine. Also Joondalup dog club, which is probably further for you than Vic Park!

Cheers :mad

Yup. Boxagirl makes it an on going joke that I never got to training this year after weeks of saying "not this week, next week... nope not this week either" :mad It never happened. Other things on my agenda. But I really really do aim to be there next year!!

It'll be good to finally meet a few DOLers :wave:

Are they both the same club? I'm doing agility with my Border Collie in Ashfield next year too and thats apart of the Perth Training & Obedience Club. So I'd rather one with the same club so the membership kinda ties in together.

Meriment-Which dog are you taking to training? Or are you switching them over? One this week the other next week? Or..?

I've been going to the Perth dog training but next year I might join Midland as I'm moving to South Guilford. Does anyone go to the Midland dog training?

Morley to Carine is roughly 18 km's taking about 25 mins

Wow! Is Morley really that far away? No wonder I chew through so much petrol! :mad

In that case, Vic Park would definately be closer - it only takes me 15-20mins to get there from Morley.

Northern Suburbs isn't linked to the agility at Ashfield (that I am aware of anyway)... as they have agility at the same place, but on a different night.

Anyone got more info on the Ashfield agility? I'd like to start Chels, but my club is too full as always.

There's also Cloverdale (CCC)- on Abernathy Rd. I don't know what they're like- small and friendly, I've heard. Northern Suburbs classes are quite large (for beginners, anyway) and there's a lot of inconsistency between instructors (in my experience fwtw). I think it depends what you want- size of classes, whether you'd like to do agility etc.

I'd recommend Perth for agility. I haven't been to Midland, but I've heard its good. Northern Suburbs (Carine) are very restrictive- you can't even start doing agility until you are in their pre-trialling obedience class. Perth has a great structured program of classes, and dogs are assessed on their control and focus in agility class, not their "competition obedience" standard.

Southern River is also good for obedience and agility, although they're a long way from Morley (as is the Agility Club of WA, and Gosnells, which are also supposed to be very good).

ETA: Chelsea's Mum- Ashfield Reserve is the training ground of the PTODC (Perth) agility group. Obedience is Vic Park, agility is Ashfield. They are just having informal training at the moment- the ground has been dug up, so there's only a tiny area of grass for we diehards who need to get our agility fix...

I think they start again in January. Training is on Friday nights- think beginner's and intermediate starts at 6.30. Advanced train on Fridays starting at 8pm, and on Tuesdays there is extra training/games nights for Advanced/Intermediate.

The beginners class starts altogether every 8 weeks, then you graduate through to the higher classes. They are good structured classes. And (like all clubs except NS), you just need a fairly well-behaved dog, no competition obedience requirement.

If you drop Jules a line she'll let you know when they are starting the next intake. Her email is on the website:

Perth Agility

Edited by mjk05

mjk05 - Thanks for that info, Chelsea is in the trialling level classes... so should meet that criterea, just no space left in agility so need to look elsewhere. Thanks for that link!

Yes, the class sizes at Northern Suburbs are huge (even in the trialling classes!) and seemingly growing by the day. So probably would be very daunting for a beginner (I know I was when I first lobbed up there - and I've been to other training clubs before)

Meriment-Which dog are you taking to training? Or are you switching them over? One this week the other next week? Or..?

I want to start obedience with my young bloke - he's coming up 8 mths old. And will alternate between him and my girl who I eventually want to do agility with.

I'm almost 100% certain that I'll be going to the Perth club, although I've heard good things about Cloverdale as well. Decisions decisions!! :mad

Apologies to those who like the Carine obedience club, but I'm not a huge fan of some of the instructors!

IMO - there seems to be a huge variance between the instructors, I found it really confusing initially as one would tell you one thing, then, the next thing you know, you'd be getting in trouble by another insturcter for doing that same thing!

There is a club in Joondalup - I'v ebeen meaning to try them myself, but it's a bit far for me. Joondalup Obedience

Apologies to those who like the Carine obedience club, but I'm not a huge fan of some of the instructors!
IMO - there seems to be a huge variance between the instructors,

100% agree with both of you there, I still can't see much consistency in rules or techniques, and I've trained there for 7 years. I used to recommend it to everyone, but now I think some of the smaller clubs have a lot of extra benefits for both the novice dog owner and those wanting to go on to trialling.

Its just a matter of looking around and checking out different clubs, finding something that suits. They are all good value for money.