Kazkiri Shaquille

alsynor

Kazkiri Shaquille

Oh My Handsome Man

How I’m going to Miss You

14th November, 1999 – 11th December, 2005

Shaq2.jpg

“In my garden, beneath a gum tree, or a wattle, or any native shrub, is an excellent place to bury such a good dog. He played beneath such trees, and under such shrubs, he slept in the blazing Summer, or gnawed at a bone, or lifted his great head to challenge a stranger. Here he waited in calm and patient certainty of my return then exploded in the joyous exuberance of youth, or much later, greeted me with the dignity of an elder Statesman.

These are good places in life or death.

For this dog will be remembered and when he leaps through my dreams, actual as in life, eyes shining, laughing, begging, it doesn’t matter at all where he finally sleeps.

Whether it’s on a hill with the wind blowing through his coat, where the trees are soaring, where he tirelessly chased & fetched sticks or other unidentifiable objects. His spirit will be there beside me anyhow, whenever I walk along the bush tracks.

It doesn’t matter at all if I never, ever know that last resting place. It is all one to the dog, and all one to me, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost – for memory lives.

But still there is one best place to bury a dog. When I bury him in this spot he will come to me when I call – come to me over shadowy frontiers, down that well remembered path and to my side again.

And though I call my living dogs to heel they won’t resent his coming for they know he belongs with me and his gentle presence will surround them again.

People may laugh at me who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his returning footfall, who hear no joyous greeting – people who may never have truly loved any dog. I will be tolerant of them, smile at them and pity them a little, for I know something that is hidden from them, and that is well worth knowing.

I will remember this, when a tear drops unbidden and my throat tightens as memories swirl around me;

“THE ONE BEST PLACE TO BURY A BELOVED DOG IS IN YOUR HEART”

Edited by alsynor