What Puppy Cereal?

brigalow

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to what age and what in particular I should feed to my newborn pups. They are feeding well off Mum but I have heard breeders feeding them a cereal at a few weeks old to help Mum and to get good growth. Any suggestions? Thanks. :thumbsup:

Royal Canin has a 'starter' puppy formula which is just a kibble that you soak and feed to mum and pups. Advance also had a 'puppy rehydratable' which you do the same with, add water and feed to mum and pups :thumbsup:

Not sure if that's what was being talked about...but i figure they are both super premium kibbles so not a bad start :laugh:

I generally start to wean my pups about 3 -4 weeks. I soak Hills Puppy in Biolac milk, I sometimes if pushed for time will pop the kibble (dry) through a coffee grinder. Then just add more Biolac milk, as with a human baby it is all about consistency of the mix. Smoother the better.

I do know of people that wean pups onto FArex and that type of thing...........if that is what you want to do go for it, but, I always think that those products are made for human babies not dog babies. IMHO :thumbsup:

Edited by Belinda

While I haven't raised a litter, I wouldn't be feeding a canine using cow's milk or any lactose-laden product, nor would I be feeding a canine using grains or cereals. A canine doesn't need these things and cannot easily digest them.

You'd be far better to purchase a genuine "super premium" kibble (Royal Canin and Advance are best described as mid-range kibbles not super premium). I would avoid any made here in Australia. I recommend three kibbles (I feed a raw foods diet and avoid processed foods for my dogs but I do have one dog that gets processed for breakfast b/c she's so slow at eating raw). They are:

Innova EVO (very good food, raw not cooked)

Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula (not to be confused with "Natural Balance" which is made in Australia and is inferior in every way to the original which is made in the USA)

Eagle Pack Holisitic range.

I hope this helps.

BTW - you can begin feeding pups on raw meaty bones when they are still very young...at about the time they begin weaning from the dam, you can introduce chicken wings or necks. They *love* them and do really well on raw foods. :thumbsup:

You'd be far better to purchase a genuine "super premium" kibble (Royal Canin and Advance are best described as mid-range kibbles not super premium). I would avoid any made here in Australia.

That is very much your opinion! Advance i believe is made in Aus and it is a super premium kibble. Royal Canin is made O/S and it is also a super premium kibble.

And actually there is a super premium kibble (Natural Balance that is made in Western Australia that is slowly becoming available thru many vets etc. They have a website i just can't remember it off hand. All i've heard is good reports about this stuff as well, and it's not as high priced as the other SP kibbles.

Here Innova is only available thru Pets Paradise and that's just one reason why i wouldn't buy it, but even that is my opinion and the other reasons are my opinion as well, hence it's not worth me listing them :eek:

I'm glad you have your opinion...but it's incorrect to push it as if only the foods you like should even be considered. You make it out as if those people who don't use those you listed are feeding their dogs something the equivelent of meaty bites :thumbsup:'

I've even had bad reports re Eagle Pack, and it's one of the foods i often recommend :laugh:

Back on topic tho...further to what i mentioned before many people also add beef or chicken mince to the kibble 'slurry' which gives the bitch and pups a little extra as well :whip:

And i believe Di-vetalac (sp?) is also a good suppliment. If the pet shops in your area can't get that or biolac for you then your vet will be able to get it if they haven't already got it in stock. Both can be mixed with something to make a slurry etc (which you slowly dry out till it becomes solids etc) or you can suppliment bottle feed them if needs be.

KitKat, Innova is now available at another supplier and I posted that info here a week or so ago...

My opinion of Australian made kibbles is that they're not acceptable, partly b/c they use horse meat and by-products...and the other important factor is the source of the "good quality" ingredients...most kibbles don't, for example, use organic ingredients. I believe that Australian made products can't compare to the three products I've listed and I recommend them based on experience (except the EP b/c I haven't yet used it).

I believe in feeding dogs a diet as close to "natural" as possible. I do not believe that a dog needs to eat artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, nor that they need to eat rancid oils/fats. And sadly, all of these things are present in locally made foods *in abundance*. Royal Canin and Advance are NOT super premium kibbles if you compare them to the three I have listed. Have a good look at the ingredients lists and the nutritional information. I've also posted that info for both EVO and DVP's Natural Balance Organic Formula. Have a look in this forum for that and compare that data to the labels on RC or Advance.

I feed raw, whole foods to my dogs. With the exception of Molly, who is also fed on either EVO or DVP's NBOF b/c of her size and the time it takes her to eat a raw meal in the mornings (we don't have time in the mornings so I feed her processed then). It is also an "emergency" food for the other two dogs.

I am happy for ppl to critique my choices and/or recommendations if they have data to present for comparison...please feel free to do so!

I hope this helps the OP and anyone else interested in high-quality nutrition for their dog/s. BTW, I also believe in feeding myself a high quality whole foods diet. But I do allow myself the occasional treat! :laugh:

BL, yes, you can wean pups from dam to raw, meaty bones. :thumbsup:

When I had the foster dog with newborn pups I fed them on the Nurtrience puppy gruel which was fantastic with raw meat mixed in. A tip for you - pop the gruel in the bowl, plonk the meat on top and then mix as much easier than adding meat after you have mixed the gruel togethor

I feed (and advocate) my crew a natural BARF diet and strongly suggest that anyone who takes a dog does so also. But.... I was also aware that most people would not want to so I fed them on Nutrience as I beleive it is higher quality than most and gave them information on the benefits of a raw diet. Nutrience were also very good and sent out some samples of puppy biscuits for me to send along with the new owners

The pups were GSD X and they started eating puppy gruel at around 3 - 4 weeks and then matured to puppy biscuits at 6 weeks

Hope that helps. Interestingly in one of my wholistic mags though Eaglepack and Innova were rated as quality but Nutrience did not get a mention. I still thought the puppy gruel was quiote convenient - especially as it was my first experience with puppies

Hope that helps

Cin

My "dog friends" in the USA are horrified that Australians consider things like Iams, HSD, RC, and Nutrience as "super premium" b/c they're definitely NOT when you compare the ingredients and nutritional information.

A few years ago, Nutrience was the "best" kibble available here...now we do have access to top quality kibbles that will cost less money over the life of the dog when you factor in reduced illness, feeding quantities (higher quality kibble = lower daily feed amount), etc. I understand that not everyone thinks they can afford the best kibbles, but IMO, if you want to feed a processed diet, the best is the only way to go b/c the others are full of crap.

It's JMO and experience...but I've tried all types of dog foods over more than 20 years, and I have to say that the best results come from the best foods, and the worst results come from the rest. :thumbsup: