Barf Diet.

I would like to start My doberman and red healer on this particular diet. But I am finding it hard to get any documentation on getting that "balanced" meal and what weights to feed each dog.

Is anyone able to help me? At the moment they are on Coprice Family dog biscuits they are in great condition but I would like something more natural.

Please anyone??

I would like to start My doberman and red healer on this particular diet. But I am finding it hard to get any documentation on getting that "balanced" meal and what weights to feed each dog.

Is anyone able to help me? At the moment they are on Coprice Family dog biscuits they are in great condition but I would like something more natural.

Please anyone??

Check out the following

Xander's website

I've got my boy's diet listed on there. It gives you a general run down on his mince meal - he's not fully on Barf as it keeps my bullmastiff a bit too lean but the mince meal is about as balanced as you can get it.

Thank you for the links. The Barfworld one I have read but I am not sure if its just me not looking in the right spots, but it hasnt got any forumlations on what weight the meals need to be fed to the dogs and it dosent seem to have any particualar breakdown on what vit and mins the dogs need on a daily basis.

There is heaps of sites regarding "barf" on the internet, allow plenty of time for browsing & have your printer ready for downloading any info. If you like books, there are plenty to buy with info that you are requiring. Give your dog a bone is one ( available off the net) raw meaty bones is another & if you are lucky & enjoy browsing through s/hand bookshops you can pick up the complete herbal handbook for the dog & cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy (this book pre-dates the first 2 by almost 50 yrs)Another is Natural Health for dog's & cat's by Dr Pitcairn ( a U.S.A publication) Hope this gives you some direction to go in

Thank you for the links. The Barfworld one I have read but I am not sure if its just me not looking in the right spots, but it hasnt got any forumlations on what weight the meals need to be fed to the dogs and it dosent seem to have any particualar breakdown on what vit and mins the dogs need on a daily basis.

That would be because you need to buy the book to get the specifics. After all, Dr Billinghurst put a lot of work into developing the diet so it's only fair he get some return on it.

There are other websites out there with "BARF" diets but the only original BARF diet is contained in Billinghurt's book.

• 2 weeks later...

After buying my own bulk supplies of chicken frames, intact, I would NEVER feed "chicken pet mince" or "ground chicken" to my dogs...the number of carcasses that are not properly cleaned which still have the bile duct and bile spillage is astounding. The butcher/chicken shop won't remove contaminated carcasses b/c that eats into their profits so they just throw it all into the grinder and sell it to you anyway. This can cause some damage to the GI tract over time and in the first instance, definitely causes a very nasty reaction (dreadful squirting motions combined with projectile vomiting). The treatment is often antibiotics, IV fluids, and about a month of a special restrictive diet to restore the balance and calm the GI tract down.

I have had ONE case of this problem (bile contamination) with my Lilly and I would never wish to repeat the experience. Nor would I wish it upon anyone with a dog - it is frightening and upsetting for all concerned.

Nah - my dog gets to grind her own chicken frames. :)

:D

I sound dumb,I realise this, ;) but do you just give the dog the whole chicken carcass?I have never been able to find specific information on this and the idea of giving them to the dogs like that(whole) freaks me out!

Is it safe?

Hi Phantompark,

If you look up "Fireax Dobermanns", just do a web search. They have an excellent site on feeding BARF.

I feed my Dobes lots of whole RAW chicken and have never had any problems.

Good Luck :D

I had to punctuate cause my grammar in crapus maximus

Edited by PAX

I feed my dobermanns a raw diet.

the differance it makes is unreal.

i feed my boy on just advance biscuits for one week to see any diff and he coat became dull even in this short of time.

Mine get a mixture of beef,roo,chicken mince all with blended veges added for their mince mix.

the they get chicken wings, drumsticks,breast bones and necks,steaks,kidney,beef heart, lamb chops etc.

Everything is raw.

I also by human grade food where ever possible but it is expensive, cost me around 60-70 per week for 2 dobes.

I used to work in herd health in dairies and saw what some down cows were like and what drugs were put into them so im very warying of pet food.

You can go pet grade stuff but make sure you ask questions like what it actually is in it.If they cant answer or hesitate answering i wouldnt buy it.

I do by my roo from a pet food place and it smells very fresh like any meat should and i know they wernt sick and thats why they have gone to pet food.

You can by the chicken breatsbones,wings,necks etc form woolies as it is still cheap from them.

I sound dumb,I realise this, laugh.gif but do you just give the dog the whole chicken carcass?I have never been able to find specific information on this and the idea of giving them to the dogs like that(whole) freaks me out!

Is it safe?

It's ok Jodi, I'm dumb too!! Same question from me!! Help...tell us!! We need one of those books called " An Idiot's

Guide to Feeding Chicken Frames"

I have given Akira half a chicken frame this morning. I only give her the chest half as I don't know if I can give her the other half. It has little liver thingies still inside!! Probably normal but hey... don't want to make Akira sick! So can you give a 9 mth old golden retriever a whole chicken frame???

Now don't I sound stupid!!!

We feed BARF to our dobe, too.

Breakfast is

* a roo tail bought fresh from a pet store (they have a deli section for pets!). We just keep them in the freezer for concenience and defrost.

* and a fish oil tablet

Dinner is:

* an egg

* some yoghurt

* about 3 times a week she gets a vitamin mix (cant remember what it's called, but it's most likely on the Fireax web site)

* 1 of Dr Billinghurst's BARF patties (from the same pet store) OR

* 1 chicken frame (yes, the whole frame); OR

* some chicken wings; OR

* some beef/lamb ribs/brisket; OR

* whatever else we find that might be tasty and raw

She also gets a dinosaur bone once or twice a week to gnaw on during the day.

And she occasionally gets some tinned tuna or salmon.

This is a photo of her when she hadn't been bathed for about 2 months. Have a look at the shine on her coat (and the proud look on her face!)

post-6912-1140664613_thumb.jpg

The question re frames:

I buy the frames from Woolies (at the moment) and freeze. These would be human grade meat.

I feed our Dobe a whole frame about every 2nd or 3rd day as her evening meal.

I was using some pet grade chicken mince - but I got the impression it wasn't good for her. The frames are no mre expensive anyway, so we are staying with them. The are also good for back teeth crunching, which they don't get with the big bones.

No problems to report re feeding the frames whole - and sometimes partly frozen.

:thumbsup:

Edited by noisymina

Yah!! Jodi and I got an answer!! Thanks!!

JBBB, your dobes diet looks good.

I am still in the process of changing Akira over to the barf diet. That is all she is eating but I'm still trying to find a regular diet of my own rather than barf patties all the time. Too expensive by themselves. How old is your dobe JBBB? Just trying to get an idea of age and amount of food to feed.