Kennel Cough

periau

I took my dogs to the vet when they got it. My vet said to me that I didn't need to worry unless they stop eating and/or drinking. The dogs took about three weeks to get over it.

Edited by Weimlover

Hi all - this info might help. I did not write it. It is something a vet student acquaintance of mine wrote last year. Its a pretty good explanation but you should seek your own vet's advice.

cheers

Jo

Kennel Cough

Clinical signs can develop usually within 3 to 4 days of exposure (but can be up to 10 days) and without complications persist up to 14 days. Dogs can shed the pathogen before elicting clinical signs,

hence the problem controlling this disease.

Kennel cough manifests as an acute, contagious respiratory infection characterised by paroxysmal coughing. Affected dogs usually remain active alert and non febrile (no rise in temperature). This disease

is usually self limiting if no other pathogens are involved (ie if no secondary infection develops). Antibiotics can be used as well as a canine cough syrup if warrented. We try not to prescribe antibiotics as the disease is self limiting. If your dog develops nasal discharge, becomes lethargic, a rise in temperature, off their

food or the cough is so bad they cannot rest then see your vet as it is likely they need antibiotics and further therapy.

Common Bleach or chlorhexidine should be used to clean areas infected dogs have been. The pathogen (Bordetella bronchiseptica and others) is transmitted by fomites (saliva, nasal discharge, coughing etc) and can also be carried on footwear, hands and tennis balls.

Whilst kennel cough is included in our routine C5 vaccination the pathogen has many features that we cannot develop a vaccination against. Different (more virulent or pathogenic) strains are able to infect dogs that are vaccinated. The vaccine limits the extent of the infection by providing some immunity to the disease.

Infected dogs can remain carriers of the disease for up to 3 months (hence the difficulty in controlling outbreaks as no one wants to keep their dog quarrentined for 3 months).

All dogs exposed to the disease (and their fellow housemates) should be quarrentined for at least 10 days. If clinical signs develop then they must be further quarrentined until the disease resolves and at least 10 days after the last cough. If your dog has not been vaccinated in the last 6 months against kennel cough and you are sure they have been exposed you can get an single booster vaccine administered intranasally if you are really concerned.

Now we're all experts on kennel cough. I would not reccommend human cough syrup unless directed by your vet as to which one to buy (due to the fact so many are on the market containing ingredients not

suitable for dogs).

(USYD veterinary science student)

Lovely information Tigerjack!!

Vets have always medicated dogs with Benadryl for Kennel Cough.

My vet in Victoria did and my vet here in Qld did when we got our dogs out of kennels.

I always have a bottle on hands these days rather than paying the exxy price the vet charges when they rebottle from a large bottle into a smaller bottle.

HI Wylie

They are on antibiotics but I would be interested in knowing more about Benadryl. The coughing kept them awake all night, and we have foamy carpet- where they have coughed and spewed!

The vet didnt seem to think yesterday that they would need a cough suppressant (sp)? And the one he was talking about actually knocks them out!

Alex actually coughed up his antibiotic this morning- not a pleasant experience sticking a slimy tablet back down his throat- but they let me so im lucky in that way.

I just had to ring the vet- Alex isnt getting any rest (coughed all night) and coughed up the tablet twice this morning- the third time it was unsavable.

I asked about a cough suppressant and they said as he was on antibiotics that they didnt want to do that.........

He's not a happy boy- Kya is ok- not coughing as much.

I had to take Alex to the vet this morning and leave him there for the day- i woke up to hear him coughing- Mum said he's been coughing badly all night. Anyway he's coughed up whatever he had left in him all over the lounge and carpet- how do i get stains out of the carpet- i would say its from the tinned food i gave him( i normally wouldnt but it seemed soft for his throat)-as the stains are pink to dark pink.

Kya is ok- shes actually coughing a bit more today though.

Alex may have to be put on a drip as he's just starting to go into dehydration they said. If that's the case they will call me.

I'm so upset- but short of leaving him there - there's not much i can do :cheers:

:cheers: Well Alex is home now.

He was given an antibiotic shot and also some codeine- which has settled his cough. He's looking much brighter than he did this morning.

He's also eaten a little- Hill's I/D diet- very bland!

And he's had some water while he was there too.

Hopefully he's on the road to recovery now.......

:D :):thumbsup::o