Not Just Vets Against Barf Feeding

One of the practitioners I see regards dried food as "junk food for dogs" which always makes me laugh.

i call dry food and canned food "junk food" :) i often have a can of "My Dog" or "Natures Gift" handy for those nights when the family (my bf, and our two dogs and cat) have a "junk food" night :)

the animals love this stuff, but its no where near as good as BARF!

i call dry food and canned food "junk food" :) i often have a can of "My Dog" or "Natures Gift" handy for those nights when the family (my bf, and our two dogs and cat) have a "junk food" night :confused:

the animals love this stuff, but its no where near as good as BARF!

I've only once given my dogs 'My Dog' since being on the BARF diet, we were travelling up to our beach house and we got there in the evening but the BARF I brought with me was still frozen solid so I had no choice but to give them the 'My Dog' (we keep it in the beach house for emergencies) anyway boy did I regret that in the morning ! It reminded me of one of the many reasons I switched to BARF - The mountains of poo and oh god the smell !! :)

I now travel with the travel fridge set slightly lower :) so that it's only semi frozen (still edible), so if I'm ever caught in that situation again I don't have to rely on that horrid commercial stuff

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Altho you can bet your life there will dogs with coats in top condition & with great teeth that do eat dry with raw meat & bones & sardines & cheese & olive oil & table scraps etc etc

If you are happy your dogs are doing good, stick with it.

I intend to stick to it, Dougie.

I know that the 2 we have on it have never looked better or been healthier, so much so that my daughter and I have decided to put our youngest one on it as well. She is looking thin and her coat is not as good as it should be.

I have nothing against people feeding dry as some dogs do well on it. At this stage we are keeping our others on dry as it seems to suit them. Different foods suit different dogs.

• 1 month later...

The breeder saw my dogs on Sunday at our first Specialty Show. He actaully said how good they looked. My girl that he bred actually won Best Intermediate and beat some of his dogs/bitches. He remarked on how good her condition was and also her coat. He also said that she will do a lot more winning now.

Edited by Norskgra

I think it is obvious why some vets would disapprove of BARF seeing that the majority of them stock premium foods namely Iams and Waltham :thumbsup: Also, when in the short or long run dogs start to show health problems due to diet yet owners are none the wiser that diet is the cause, it's more money for vets to try and rectify the problem for instance skin problems amongst other things and one of the greatest money spinners as most vets don't seem to try and decipher why the dog is having skin problems but instead choose to prescribe a course of NSAID's plus antibiotics knowing only too well that once treatment is stopped the symptoms come back worse than ever, not to mention that NSAID's have nasty side effects...and don't resolve the problem!!

There are always exceptions to the rule and there are some absolutely wonderful and considerate vets out there that try to do the right thing by our pets but as I said they are the exception.