Skinny Dogs

Zorro, i know for a fact that most other dog food companies also test on animals, so do the makers of flea, worming, heartworm and pet medications. Its a sad fact of life but i think you would be hard pressed not to find a pet product that isnt.

BTW, i have had great results with getting the weight on my silky with the Eukanuba low-residue, and i now use the eagle pack holistic which has maintained that weight.

Edited by melt

Zorro, I won't even dignify your childish comments by a reply.

Back to the OP - I have always found satin balls and lamb flaps are great for putting weight on dogs. Also feeding a good quality dry food can help.

Some dogs do better on certain foods than others. You need to find the food that suits your dog the best and stick to it. It may be a premium one or it could be a supermarket one. It could also be raw food. It is all a matter of trial and error.

I have tried just about every brand of dry food until I found one that suited most of my dogs. For my others, they do better on raw foods.

:) I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE IAMS/EUKANUBA PRODUCTS AS IT JUST DIDNT WORK WITH ANY OF THE DOGS I HAVE EVER HAD.I USE ROYAL CANIN WHICH CONSISTENTLY RESEARCHES FOODS SPECIFIC TO THE INDIVIDUAL BREEDS OF DOGS AND THEIR ENERGY REQUIREMENTS AND EAGLE PACK.MY MALE PUPPY IS SLIGHTLY UNDERWEIGHT DUE TO HIM BEING STOLEN FROM HIS BREEDER AT SIX WEEKS OF AGE AND HIS HIGH ACTIVITY LEVELS I FEED HIM PORRIDGE WITH PUPPY MILK EVERY SECOND MORNING,ADD OLIVE OIL TO HIS KIBBLE HE ENJOYS RAW MINCE AND RICE,CHOOK NECKS ECT .IM NOT GETTING INVOLVED IN THE CHILDISH BICKERING ABOUT DOG FOOD BRANDS USE WHAT WORKS BEST OR LIKE ME USE A COMBINATION OF METHODS.IN RESPONSE TO THE PERSON WHO STATED YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND LAUNDRY LIQUIDS,TOOTHPASTE ECT THAT HAD NOT BEEN TESTED ON ANIMALS THERE ARE QUITE A FEW ALTERNATIVES OUT THERE CHECK OUT VEGAN WEBSITE FOR MORE DETAILS.I AM VEGAN BECAUSE I CANNOT PROCESS ANIMAL PROTEINS AND I AM CONSISTENTLY FINDING MORE AND MORE PRODUCTS WHICH ARE ANIMAL FRIENDLY ,MAINLY BECAUSE AUSTRALIANS AS A WHOLE ARE A NATION OF DEDICATED ANIMAL LOVERS :) ;)

FORGOT TO ASK WHERE CAN I GET THE RECIPE FOR SATIN BALLS I HAVE LOST THE RECIPE AN OLD FELLA GAVE ME AND THEY WORKED A TREAT :cheers:

Don't stop the Roo meat... too high in protein but almost no fat (besides dogs love it). Same with the vegies. All you need to do is add some fat to its diet. The only way your dog is going to put weight is that its calories and fat intake is higher than its daily needs. Puppy food is very good for this.

We've had great results with our recue rotti. The base food is dry Nutrience Advance for large breeds. We complement this with puppy food which has a higher fat content. Then we would add something to make the food more interesting, like beef or chicken mince, silk balls, etc, we always vary those. As for ocassional treats (other than schmakos for training) we would give him lamb shanks, seaweed bones (can't remember name), but we hide those as a surprise on its kennel, bed and other places we want him to feel very confortable and relaxed.

Hope this helps.

Hei, looking at your post makes mi that your dog is the happiest in the world..next to mine..hehe

:rolleyes:

fancy having surprises often...

so nice n fun!

Jefe's Owner - so pleased to hear the Mr Skinny is doing better - diet sounds great! :(

The recipe for Satin Balls or Silk balls can be found if you do a search here on DOL. Would have written down the recipe for you but I can't find my bit of paper I wrote it on! It's basically a doggy treat to add to skinny dog dinners - lots of cream cheese, peanut butter and cream with mince. Sounds disgusting but a good high fat content to put the weight on. :laugh:

When I first got Billy who is a Maltese x he was a bag of bones. He would gulp his food and gulp bones like they were the last thing he was ever going to eat. As he put on weight and realised he was going to be fed regular meals he calmed down a lot and is now my slowest eater.

I gave him puppy milk and puppy food (the stuff in the sachets), diced or minced lamb or beef and fed small meals but often, about 4 times per day.

Billy is now twice the weight he was when I first got him. He is one of those dogs that will probably never be overweight because he does everything at a million miles an hour so if he starts to lose weight I just give him a bit extra at dinner.