Sar Seminar - Sydney

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't he B E A U T I F U L ?????

One thing I am is a realist, and do not wear rose coloured glasses.

His looks are not breed standard, by ANY stretch of the imagination, and you know what???-- that is cool!!!. I am not the least bit interested in show lines.

He has been imported as a trial prospect not as a stud.

Okie Dokie, here goes...

I think the NSW SARDA thing is obviously a fantastic idea and I would be happy to volunteer and even co-ordinate (if trained). Co-ordination (maybe more preparation) wise I think it could be tricky, firstly we will need the correct training ie. navigational [maybe become "friends" with VRA (or similar) or bushwalking associations (they don't really allow dogs though?)], scent movement (Maybe a trip to VIC), even more prey drive work / practical training, first aid (Nominate yourself at work and they will pay maybe), canine first aid (are there courses or are books enough?) and more. You would also need to work on the team relationship / bond.

Then you get to the actually training when you have the pups. This is obviously a long road though (not in the "world sense" though). Even if we could get 2 or more puppies in the group, operationally we really aren't kicking into gear for a while which is fine but I think a couple of roadtrips to meet VIC SARDA would be necessary.

Then training SARDA wise, would anyone devote themselves once a week to training? or is this not necessary until later (depending on role). Could you train a SAR with 2 people originally? 1 body and 1 handler or you need more? It is not that easy to find friends / volunteers that want to go hide in the bush for however long.

I don't want to get too excited about anything yet because a/ I need to prepare and find a pup and 2/ this is not and never will be a 1 person thing.

So basically, who else has the enthusiasm and time (even a body a month could be beneficial long term I am sure) to commit?

There is also the equipment and money thing, I am happy to devote what I can to training etc.... but I am confused at an average / actual figure. Would rallying for sponsorship per dog / handler / team be an idea?

In saying all this, I would imagine you can also do as much temperament testing, health tests blah blah and still not end up with the perfect puppy for the work... but I guess that is the same in every discipline.

Ahh, me confused!!!

Edited: spelling and tried to make more sense

Kristy

Edited by Latisha

He IS beautiful! :mad

Hopefully I get to meet him in person someday. You sound like you will be kept very busy :vomit:

Hope you can meet the little "sheeeet" too.

He has been 4 years in the making. A thousand grey hairs, a hundred more wrinkles and the rest.

I have been working/writing a training program for the 4 years too.

I might have to modify my program, LOL. I know he has great drive, the problem is of course he has to have a good memory, excellent water attitude and be biddible. I personally think Australian retrieving trials are conceptually, the most difficult in the world. We need the dogs in control, for example, but they still are required to use their own initiative.

Latisha, most likely the best way to answer all the questions would be to take a trip down to Vic and see and talk first hand to the SARDA group, find out what the minimum requiements would be, in terms of people, dogs, funding, equipment, training, time and so on. What kind of resource level would it need to launch? There is also the issue of networking with the relevant organisations in terms of getting work or possible work.

I have posted relevant information on the thread "Search & Rescue Dogs" in answer to all Gillian's questions.

Sarda has been 12 years in the making with the first 5 years dedicated to cadaver and then area/wilderness followed in the last 4 years by Usar - Urban Search & Rescue.

Long process........enjoyable (but sometimes frustrating) process!

When Australia finally has their own uniform standards, accepted by all sar k9 groups and recognised by the relevant authorities, then we can only progress to become a volunteer k9 rescue resource equal to the rest of the world.

Very pleased with all the interest....keep it coming :vomit: