Urban Dog Owners Take Lead In Sheepdog Trials

Hi Herding Guy

It is quieting down a fair bit know, we are getting into three sheep season, we have Warragul on this weekend, but I'm not going there, and then the next one for me is Dundonnel, which is on about the 7th of May. But I look forward to seeing you out and about at the trials, what line of kelpies have you got?? I have got a red/tan dog (Wiz), which is a litter brother to Matti of Denise Agnews, and I have a Philscreek Bitch (Brandy) and I have a S/Bred Bitch as well (Taz) and then I had a litter of pups at the end of last year by Wiz out of Brandy.

I learnt alot of what I know from when I worked at the Avenpart Stud, and I also did a lot of schools with Greg Prince.

If any one wants to know trial dates for yard Trials you are better of contacting VYUFDA (Yard dog association)

Michael

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of BC men still trialling in the Yard Utility I'd say it was about 20% of the entrants at Welshpool last year. Infact my bitch was beaten by a BC - they are very different working style dogs to the 3 sheep BC though.

In WA a significant number of the top triallers win both 3sheep and yard trials with their border collies. Same dogs, same handlers... Maybe its because we don't have just yard trials, they are run as part of utility trials, and not many of them, so most triallers do both utility and arena trials. The last trial we were at, the yard and utility finalists were at least 50% border collies, more so in the utility, and almost all of them are dogs that will be out on the 3sheep arena this weekend.

Guest Clover
Why don't you guys get a group together and go to an upcoming yard trial? It could be a great weekend getaway! I understand (Wally may have a better idea) there are LOTS of yard trials around Victoria.

Now theres an idea, i would be up for that :thumbsup:. Euroa later in the year might be good, i would be there for that weekend aswell ;).

Tinny had been used for yard work and paddock work for the first 2 years of her life and we have been told she was alot more suited to yard work but got the job done out in the paddocks, with quite large flocks aswell. I cannot wait to get started with her :thumbsup:.

You may have seen me at Neerim, Warrigal, Port Albert, Welshpool haven't been to any up your way for a long time. If you've ever watched a high jump I'm the one with the big male red and tan boy that wins.

Oh Puleease - you'll be outdone this time when our girl brings home the goods at Casterton. :thumbsup:

Wally2020, have you got a website or number for the Yard Dog Association? It would be good to have dates.

Hi All

The Secretary of the VYUFDA is Helen Boyd and her number is 03 55708212 she should be able to give you all the information that you need.

I can give you some yard dates now if you like:

May 7th Dundonnell

July 8/9 Gippsland (Utility)

July 15 Pigeon Ponds

That is all I have at the moment, if you want to enter any of them, let me know and I will give you the phone numbers and who to contact for entry forms.

Hope that you can all get up to Euroa, it is a local one for me and is a very good course. :thumbsup:

Michael

Guest Clover

I think i saw you at Euroa last year Michael, but did not have time to stop and say hi. What i did get to see was great though :thumbsup:.

I am going off topic here but have a 3 sheep trialing bitch, we dont have many 3 sheep trials hereabouts (we dont have much of any thing) wondering if I get her gong for yard trials will it wreck her for 3 sheep work eg: the closeness etc?

Just wondering the experts opinions?

thanks ruth

Hi All

KelpieI

I think Euroa is on about the last weekend in October. I'm not sure wether I am going to Casterton or not, there is a Three Sheep Trial at Deniliquin, and I'll will probably go to that.

Regards to Yard Trialing a Three Sheep Dog.

There are people out there that belive that yard work, or any other work for that matter beside Three work will wreck them for three Sheep. But the yard trialing can give your dog confidence to come in a push and able to work in closer, as long as you have enough control over your dog, and think you will be able to keep him out a bit once they come back Three Sheeping then there shoudn't be a problem.

The Three Sheep experience will probably help you out in the yard anyway, because your dog will have better cover and hold.

Michael :thumbsup:

I just want to know if Paul McPhail is involved with any of these trials?

Paul is involved with Welshpool and Port Albert. Not sure about the rest this year

Welshpool wil be held the last wekend in October.

Wally my dogs are Beloka, Puds, Futura. But all have Beloka blood lines somewhere. I like the strength of these dogs but the friendliness of the Futura. The Puds girl is a little too nervey but a lovely paddock bitch.

I think I remember you and Wiz but can't remeber where, I'll be looking out for you now though.

Coolibah Coolies -I have always believed in train 3 sheep and work 3 sheep only however have known a few dogs to do both well. Good dogs should work out flight thresholds of sheep and keep to them.

Kelpie i - GOOD LUCK we're feeding him mexican jumping beans and rubber.

Herding Guy don't you dare go corrupting my puppy :rofl: - I've already named him - "Big Kev" :rofl:

Wally, we currently have a Beloka/Puds line and like HG's girl, ours is a little nervy but gutsy as well. She's showing some really good potential when backing in the race.

My new puppy will probably bounce off walls by the sounds of things :rolleyes:

Herding Guy don't you dare go corrupting my puppy :scold: - I've already named him - "Big Kev" :laugh:

Wally, we currently have a Beloka/Puds line and like HG's girl, ours is a little nervy but gutsy as well. She's showing some really good potential when backing in the race.

My new puppy will probably bounce off walls by the sounds of things :(

Big Kev - well I'm EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Don't be modest your bitch is a very stylish worker and is a very good all rounder - although can be a little edgey in the yard when the pressure is on. She'll get better with age.

Yes your puppy is already bouncing off the wall, ceiling, windows, fences :rofl:

Can someone tell me what breeds are allowed to compete in yard trials we were talking about it last night but werent sure what restrictions there were

It may depend on your local groups' rules. In WA I don't think we have any restrictions on breed. Dogs must have WAWSDA registration (based on pedigree or performance) to enter Open trials, but anyone can enter the Encourage/Farmers classes- crossbreeds have entered, I know Aussies have competed, and I've toyed with the idea of entering my cattle dog :(

Are you going to have a go?

Edited by mjk05

This has been going on for years the city bred versus the farm bred, I can recall sitting in on a session like this with Tony Parsons years ago!

Still going on and will for as long as the Kelpie has two areas in which he lives, the city or the farm.

There is NO real comparison between the two when they are working, different styles completely.

But GOOD ones are well worth watching.

I have owned three of the working breeds, Kelpie, ACD and Border Collie. I love them all, but they are all different and have their own ways of working.

Sue