Dog Pulls Towards Other Dogs When On Walks

He is lovely natured but weighs 40kg and is difficult to control when other dogs are around. He loves them and wants to play. How can I teach him not to pull and just walk by without that strong reaction

I would be grateful for help, as I am desperate :mad

I had/have the same problem. I'm going to training, but using a halti has made walks on leash much safer for me and the dog both. Training is definitely the solution, but the halti will allow you to do the training and go for walks in the mean time. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I just gave one to my mother who has the same problem with her dane.

Ooops. Sorry I just read the post you made about this yesterday and you didn't get much advise at all.

I would suggest you get your dog into training classes.

I had the same problem, my dog weighs about the same as I do and she used to pull like a train. One way to stop the pulling is to stop dead in your tracks the minute the leash goes taut. When the dog turns around to look at you, an he will, praise him and start off again. You ned to keep repeating this and you won't get far on your walk but the dog will eventualy get the message.

Im having that problem also and i am trying that method where i just stop dead in my tracks, he waits, then we move off again, and sometimes i do a 180 turn and make him follow. I have just started this and i have also joined up at a dog school which im starting this sunday. Good luck!

A halti is a walking collar which ties around the dogs nose instead of the neck forcing your dog to try and pull with their nose instead of their very strong neck/shoulders. Get one and try it, it will save you getting pulled over.

Even with a halti you still need to do training to teach the dog not to run over to other dogs. Halti's come from pet supply stores/RSPCA any good dog supplies place. Take neck measurement of your dog as halti's come in different sizes or get them to show you how to use it as they are a little tricky at first.

My dog weighs 30kgs and I can walk her easily with the halti even if we are walking past PIGEONS :mad . I don't know why pigeons are so excitinng.

There were a few discussions in the last week about dog's pulling, have a look at what people said.

I just love this situation because it provides a very powerful reward. There are leadership issues involved, and you can get all pysched out about this, or you can get on with the behaviour. As you approach the dogs from about 10 meters away, insist on high attention heeling. Dosen't happen =U turn away from the dog(s). This is stressful for your dog, because up to now, what doggie wants in this situation is what doggie gets. Then try it again, and again and again. Your dog will give in. Try and set it up so that when doggie gives in, he/she gets to have access to the dog(s). You are now a super dog hero, controller form outer space, and if you were having hints of leadership debates (slow response to commands , the odd growl etc, deafness) , these can often disappear after a session of this. You should really do this with a very savvy trainer, with really savvy dogs, because you can get a sort fo extinction burst out of your own dog. If you aren't a physically strong person, use a halti like collar. One source is www.blackdog.net. Their one seems nice. I personally don't use them, becasue I have a min poodle, and a Labrador who is very well behaved.(I sometimes feel like shouting no he wasn't born like this, he was a stubborn ratbag as a puppy/younger dog)!)