Help !

Pets In Stone

I need some help.

We have two cats they have just turned one year old (they are sisters) both desexed and both the queen of our home. We love our cats and they are very spoilt.

However we are looking at getting a puppy soon, we have seen a golden retriever x beagle pup and would like to know if anyone knows how to introduce a pup to our home of cats and how the cats will react.

Do you think the cats are too old to accept a pup? Will time together get them used to the pup? Is there arny hints or ideas anyone can give me before i commit to a puppy in our home.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

karen

I have 5 cats and 2 dogs.

When I introduced my dogs to cats or cats to dogs I kept the dog in a crate and let the cats go and sniff the dog on their own terms. My cats are all very accepting of new additions to the household so not much bothers them, 3 of them welcome strange animals with a smooch as soon as they walk in the door :rofl: the other two would take a little longer as they're more aloof.

Main thing is time really, it'll take time for them to become used to each other. Make sure the cats have got somewhere safe to go and get away from the dog whenever they want it, let them have somewhere they can jump up where the dog can't reach them for example.

1 year old isn't too old to accept a puppy, I don't think any age is too old if you let the cat have it's space if it needs it, my cats were aged up to 4 years old with the last introduction to a puppy, 4 of the cats love my dogs and one of them doesn't, but that cat doesn't really like people either, just the way he is.

I have 3 cats, 11 years old, 2 1/2 years old and 2 years old

When we brought Eddie home we keep them out the back room for an hour or so and let him run aound, then we let the cats in and held onto him and let them sniff him, and they have been fine ever since

We don't leave them together unsupervised when we go out though, I don't like to tempt fate

The day before we broght Eddie home, we clipped the cats claws with human nail clippers so if they did decide to swipe him it wouldn't cause any damage

Now: :rofl:

Molly and the cats

may06021.jpg

Eddie and the cats

Eddie6months553.jpg

Eddie4months016.jpg

Then - Eddie 8 weeks old!!!

EddieBlos.jpg

EddieNettie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a good idea that you are introducing your pup to your cat. I didn't and now all my dog wants to do is attack the cat. She runs at 100 mile per hour across the back yard and jumps on the cat, the cat strikes out at her, she runs of yelping, but ten minutes later she is over it and returns to annoy the cat. Since this becoming a regular occurance the cat now lives inside. She doesn't mind at all...she always sits in the good chair ARGHHH!!! But its good that you are doing something at a pup stage im regretting not doing with my dog. Maybe they would be good friends if i introduced them when she was younger.