Tracking Or Flyball?

Hi all, I have a fifteen month old male GSD who desperately needs to work. I live in Cessnock NSW and can travel to Morisset or Newcastle easily enough. Does anyone know of any tracking classes or maybe Flyball in these areas? He is obedient and just going to Obedience classes each week does not do enough to occupy his mind. In many ways he is more like a Border Collie or Aussie shepherd ie I find it hard to find his *off switch* LOL Any other suggestions would be great!!

AGILTIY!!!

I was at the Cessnock trial a few weeks ago, so I know they have it up there. I can't wait to get a GSD to do agility with. It is so much fun and the dogs just love it!!!! Plus it can be quite mentally difficult for a dog to learn so it will keep him occupied...and hopefully for your sake wear him out a bit!

Edited by gusgem

I agree with Gusgem, have you thought about agility? He's old enough to start training, especially if you start with the non jumping sort of obstacles (I dont even know what they have in agility now! but things like the seesaw, dog walk, weaving poles etc that they used to have). He will have a ball.

Other than that I would suggest tracking, sorry I dont know of anywhere in your area but Im sure someone may be able to help. I guess there are some dogs that dont take to it, but my old GSD boy always loved it :hitself: .

Don't know much about flyball, so can't help there, sorry!

Edited cos I can't type for s*** LOL

Edited by MrsD

LOL do both!!! tracking you can start off alone laying your own track but you will need a track layer after a while, maybe find someone with a common interest and you can return the favour for their dog :hitself:

Wow - thanks so much for the responses. I know there is an Obedience club in Cessnock but I didn't know of the Agility so I will try to track them down tomorrow. As for tracking, yes I have been doing some on my own but really need to be able to learn from/with others at this stage. Hopefully the Agility might be the answer for now. Thanks to everyone who replied.

You've got a GSD, the swiss army knife of dogs - do it all!! Whilst my GSD Chili isn't a master of anything in particular, we have a go at obedience, some flyball, tracking, agility, lure coursing and showing. If you use different collars/harnesses and commands, I have no doubt your boy could pick the different activities up.

I find your comment about your dog being more like a Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd interesting - even though GSDs are a working (sheep herding) breed just like BC, Kelpies etc they don't seem to be viewed in the same light activity level wise. I was having a conversation about this recently with someone who was suggesting breeders should breed GSDs with calmer temperaments to suit pet homes rather then the full-on, active, intense type that I enjoy owning and training. Sorry to go OT :hitself: your comment just related to the thoughts in my brain!

Hi Imashephead,

i have tgo say that although I have owned several GSDs (admittedly all NZ bred - this is my first Australian GSD) he is way and above the others in terms of drive. Even when lying down inside he is poised to break into a sprint should we for some insane reason require him to do so! LOL That is not to say he is not obedient; it is just that given his preference he would be working 24/7 I think.

He is probably a little young for some of the jump work but should be OK on the rest of the Agility things. I would love to do tracking but cannot find anyone in this area - help??

I havent seen many (any??) GSD'd in flyball lol apart from ISH's one at training any reason why guys?

a 20 min track can be more of a work out than a hour run for some dogs :hitself:

Tricks can also engage the mind :cry: and you dont need a lot of equiptment for that LOL

Thanks again everyone. Looks like the flyball clubs are a bit far away for us (at the moment anyway) so I will carry on looking for tracking clubs near us and agility. Any links to tracking clubs or even individuals who would like to teach us how to track would be great!!

NO he isn't too young for agility. Dogs can start trialling at 18months! He is a big dog and will hardly even step over the jumps!! Have fun....can't wait to hear how he is going with everything....oh and where did you get him from?

• 2 weeks later...