How To Make My Boy A Better Dog And Me A Better Owner?

This morning, I was running out of patient to my 1.5yrs old boy.

I am a lousy owner. I want to know how to make myself a better owner and my dog a better dog.

Every morning, especially this two weeks. Due to my dog just went for Desex. And his wound require longer time then usual to recover due to he licked open his wound. Doctor gave him a bigger elizabeth collar. With this bigger collar.. he can only drink. But can't eat food from the bowl. So every day i have to feed him.

Every morning i woke up at 7am.. left at 8am. Shower for 15min.. the rest of the time for my boy. Exercise him for 10min... throw toy for him fetch. Then ask him/bring him to pee and poo. He dun pee and poo often as instructed. Like this morning, he pee only.. when he want to poo.. he was distracted by closing door noise (my brother in law left for work).. so his urge to poo gone. Then i have to spend 5-10min brush his coat due to his coat is quite thick.. with the collar.. cause it to tangle easily.

Then have to feed him.. he kept playing with the food.. took the food from my hand.. throw out.. repeat and repeat.. I tried to bring him back to toilet to poo after 10min.. but he still dont just keep licking my hand. -___-

This morning, i was running out of patient and scold him. almost want to beat him :laugh:.. u guys sure think i am a bad owner. Now i am at office, when i thought of it. i feel so ashamed. How will he know he is wrong.. it's my fault did not train him well.

And he love to bite ppl foot, skirt or trouser.. what ever he can reach from his height. When i walk he like to bite lightly then sometime abit hard. Not only to me.. to my family also the same. How to stop him from doing that?

He got excited when i am back home.. keep barking non stop. I tried to ignore him, only approach him when he quiet down and reward him when he quiet down. But that take many minutes. worry will disturb our neighbour. How to teach him ? Or i did try another method, when i got home quickly go to him and pat him say good boy and reward him a treat. He bark too but quiet down.. but got excited and kept biting my hand .. leg .. what ever he can reach.. all saliva around me. I don't know how to amend his habit.

I can give one piece of advice to help with your dog - training. Take him to classes and develop the bond of trust and respect between you.

You can take off the Elizabethan collar for meals - he only really needs to wear it when you can't supervise him or stop him from licking his wound. If he isn't hungry then take the meal away and offer it next time. Don't get into the habit of hand feeding him - its very hard to break.

If you want him to toilet and he isn't cooperating, get him moving. Exercise stimulates the gut and helps with elimination. Take him for a 10 minute walk and I"ll bet he'll produce. :rofl:

Its not unusual to be frustrated when things aren't going to plan. The good news is that while you may have felt like hitting him, you didn't.

But take him to training - it makes all aspects of life so much easier. :laugh:

I can give one piece of advice to help with your dog - training. Take him to classes and develop the bond of trust and respect between you.

You can take off the Elizabethan collar for meals - he only really needs to wear it when you can't supervise him or stop him from licking his wound. If he isn't hungry then take the meal away and offer it next time. Don't get into the habit of hand feeding him - its very hard to break.

If you want him to toilet and he isn't cooperating, get him moving. Exercise stimulates the gut and helps with elimination. Take him for a 10 minute walk and I"ll bet he'll produce. :rofl:

Its not unusual to be frustrated when things aren't going to plan. The good news is that while you may have felt like hitting him, you didn't.

But take him to training - it makes all aspects of life so much easier. :laugh:

I can't take him to training, my husband sure nag at me because i have spent alot on my dog.

I did take off the collar for meals. But when he free of it.. just keep running around and scratching non stop. lick his legs.. lick his nail.. scratch his ear.. scratch his face.. he dun want the meal at all.. Then in the middle of the night, when everyone sleeping, he is trying to eat from the bowl. i got to wake up at 1am to take off his collar and let him eat.

I did get him exercise.. that's the purpose i exercise him in the morning. But he dun always cooperate.

I think you sound like an extremely committed and loving dog owner so congratulations for that! I agree that you and your dog need to find a good trainer soon. I personally suggest K9Force who is a member of DOL but definitely at least start with reading his article on Triangle of Temptation which is pinned to this forum. How old is your dog?

I can't take him to training, my husband sure nag at me because i have spent alot on my dog.

Let him nag... dog training classes at a community based club are as cheap as chips. You've done the right thing as a responsible owner by desexing him.. now you just have to add some more manners!!

If he behaves like a maniac with the collar off, put him on lead for his meals.

I think you sound like an extremely committed and loving dog owner so congratulations for that! I agree that you and your dog need to find a good trainer soon. I personally suggest K9Force who is a member of DOL but definitely at least start with reading his article on Triangle of Temptation which is pinned to this forum. How old is your dog?

My dog will be 2 yrs old in this coming september. I adopted him 3 mths ago. Before that.. he was confined in a playpen for 1.5yrs.

Singapore dun have K9force. And very costly.

I tried to read book .. i am kindof lazy.. i always read half way then return the book to library

Let him nag... dog training classes at a community based club are as cheap as chips. You've done the right thing as a responsible owner by desexing him.. now you just have to add some more manners!!

If he behaves like a maniac with the collar off, put him on lead for his meals.

My hubby control our money flow. And desexing him have cost my hubby $450. -____-

we dun have community based club. everything here about dog is ex.

Will try to put him on a lead then.

Hi Haze,

Sounds like your dog is quite a little character. :hitself:

Please don't hand feed him. He is already making a game out of it by spitting the food out when you are giving it to him. Give him his food in a bowl, leave it down for 10 minutes, then take it away. He will soon learn when you say it's meal time. Don't leave food down all the time either. You are in control of the food not him.

It's a shame that you don't have community based obedience clubs. However you can train from a book. Don't feel overwhelmed by what is in the book. Read one chapter, say teaching sit. Then work on that and only that for several days. Keep it interesting and fun. Then when you are ready, move on to the next. Don't rush it. If you don't finish the book before it has to go back to the library so what? Just reborrow it, or find a new one. You can also get lots of help and advice here if you don't understand something. Training should only be for short periods of time. 5 - 10 mins a session. You can do this a few times a day.

You are a good owner, we can tell that because you have taken the time to ask for help. Just keep asking and learning.

I tried to read book .. i am kindof lazy.. i always read half way then return the book to library

Hello Haze,

Congratulations on your obvious commitment to your dog.

Try looking at www.k9events.com.au/ The editor of that site is very knowledgeable and will, possibly, suggest some trainers in your area. I know there is at least one but can't recollect her name.

Good luck!

Henrynchlo

Hi Haze,

Sounds like your dog is quite a little character. :hitself:

Please don't hand feed him. He is already making a game out of it by spitting the food out when you are giving it to him. Give him his food in a bowl, leave it down for 10 minutes, then take it away. He will soon learn when you say it's meal time. Don't leave food down all the time either. You are in control of the food not him.

It's a shame that you don't have community based obedience clubs. However you can train from a book. Don't feel overwhelmed by what is in the book. Read one chapter, say teaching sit. Then work on that and only that for several days. Keep it interesting and fun. Then when you are ready, move on to the next. Don't rush it. If you don't finish the book before it has to go back to the library so what? Just reborrow it, or find a new one. You can also get lots of help and advice here if you don't understand something. Training should only be for short periods of time. 5 - 10 mins a session. You can do this a few times a day.

You are a good owner, we can tell that because you have taken the time to ask for help. Just keep asking and learning.

Hi There,

Just now i used Lunch time to go home check out with my dog. This morning, i left my home like a STORM. Guess he also puzzle what happen to mama. Well, he is still usual.. running non stop when i reach home. Dog is just so adorable. Human get angry easily and take time to forgive others. But dog never, they forgive other immediately. Well No poo yet.. gee.. but ate abit. i did not hand feed him.. i put the bowl on my hand and give him.. is that consider hand feeding?

Ya u are right, got to be patient and teach him, i am quite a lazy person -____- . i did try to train him SIT.. guess what.. he only know DOWN. When i brush his coat.. i ask him DOWN.. he will just down for me to comb. but dun know SIT. I also dun know why. When i said SIT.. he kept licking my foot and hand. But when i put him on a table, i said SIT.. he do SIT thou.

I think in the past i am a lazy person. I better teach him SIT everyday for 5 - 10min.

Now i am reading a book "The Dog listener" Highly recommended by a tour guide during my holiday to melbourne.

Edited by Haze

Hello Haze,

Congratulations on your obvious commitment to your dog.

Try looking at www.k9events.com.au/ The editor of that site is very knowledgeable and will, possibly, suggest some trainers in your area. I know there is at least one but can't recollect her name.

Good luck!

Henrynchlo

Hi,

Thank you, i will check out the website later when i got home :hitself:..

Hi bloss344,

I not sure what is the community club u mention. I just know that sending dog to training class here quite expensive. Organise by Dog training School. Hmm obedience class.. 10 lesson.. $400.. is it consider ex over your side? is expensive to me :hitself:.

Hi Haze, I would contact SPCA. They might conduct puppy school (I know he is no longer a puppy) or they may have similar classes.

I'm from Singapore but living in Melbourne. Just returned from Singapore last week and I have to admit that I am amazed at the number of shops selling pet supplies and pet grooming :hitself:

So, contact the SPCA and they should be able to recommend a dog school near you.

editted for spelling...

Edited by petal79

Hi Haze, I would contact SPCA. They might conduct puppy school (I know he is no longer a puppy) or they may have similar classes.

I'm from Singapore but living in Melbourne. Just returned from Singapore last week and I have to admit that I am amazed at the number of shops selling pet supplies and pet grooming :hitself:]

So, contact the SPCA and they should be able to recommend a dog school near you.

Hello Haze!

I would suggest you contact somebody recomended by k9events/ or somebody similar.

A lady I recall- Hwi Lee? or something similar can help you without causing HARM!!!

The most you want for your puppy is assistance with puppy behaviour within the bounds of living with human behaviour! There are so many people who want to sell their products out there without any thought for the animal/human bond!

Think about what youy want with you and your dog!

Cheers

Henrynchlo!

I'm from Singapore but living in Melbourne. Just returned from Singapore last week and I have to admit that I am amazed at the number of shops selling pet supplies and pet grooming :hitself:

editted for spelling...

Ya here have many pet supplies and pet grooming.

I think waggie pet school is popular.

SPCA conduct is basic class teaching Owner about home care :cry:

I'm from Singapore but living in Melbourne. Just returned from Singapore last week and I have to admit that I am amazed at the number of shops selling pet supplies and pet grooming :hitself:]

Hello Haze!

I would suggest you contact somebody recomended by k9events/ or somebody similar.

A lady I recall- Hwi Lee? or something similar can help you without causing HARM!!!

The most you want for your puppy is assistance with puppy behaviour within the bounds of living with human behaviour! There are so many people who want to sell their products out there without any thought for the animal/human bond!

Think about what youy want with you and your dog!

Cheers

Henrynchlo!

Singapore have K9events? U mean asking them online for advice ?

Last night and this morning, when i feed Rascal. When i put down the food and he don't eat.. i take away.. put down take away put down take away.. after a few times.. he ate half . This morning also ate half. Will this small down his appeitie? My boy weight 3.2kg only for a maltese

Singapore have K9events? U mean asking them online for advice ?

Last night and this morning, when i feed Rascal. When i put down the food and he don't eat.. i take away.. put down take away put down take away.. after a few times.. he ate half . This morning also ate half. Will this small down his appeitie? My boy weight 3.2kg only for a maltese

Hello Haze,

The Editor of that site, an Australian web site, will be able to help. The website is www.k9events.com/ It has nothing to do with K9force.

There are also many articles on k9events (the website) for reading. They give excellent advice.

As for feeding Rascal - put his food down for him to eat. If he hasn't eaten it withing 1/2 hr. take it away. He'll soon get the message. At the moment you are giving him the opportunity to "train you!"

Good luck,

Henrynchlo

Edited by henrynchlo

Put the food down, leave it for 15 mins then take it away. He doesn't get another chance to eat now until his next meal time. If you feed twice a day, morning and night then that is when you do this, once only each time, don't keep offering the food, and don't put the bowl on your hand. He must eat out of his bowl from the floor. Feeding at lunchtime is fine too, just divide his ration into three so you are not overfeeding. This dog is training you. They are very smart and cunning, especially when they realise we are a little inexperienced. :hitself: Also while you are doing this, give no treats. It should only take a couple of days before he's eating at meal time out of his bowl.