Puppy Teeth And Big Teeth

PittyLuv

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a beautiful 6 month old puppy. She has all her big teeth but one of the big canine's has grown through and the puppy tooth is still there?! So their pretty much growing out of the same place :laugh: . the puppy tooth is a little bit loose and we have tried everything to get it out but it seems pretty stuck!

Can anyone help us?

Rawhide chews are useful, they get really soft and sticky and are quite good for removing stubborn baby teeth. A little game with a tug toy may also help. However, if it doesn't come out soon get it removed as it may affect the placement of the adult tooth and that can be a problem in some breeds if you're intending to show.

What age do they start to get their adult teeth?

Devo is 4 months old and i'm SO over thoes little needle teeth!!!

Usually from around 14 weeks, they should have all their adult teeth by about 6 months of age.

Usually a pup will shed its baby teeth between 4 and 6 months. You can usually see when a k9 tooth is going to be shed as it starts to change colour inside (like it is dying) It will go a very slight red or purple colour in the middle. If the baby tooth is still there I would think that it is not going to come out of its own accord. It may have a large root that is holding it in - although most baby teeth don't there are the few occasions that this can happen. It quite often happens in toy poodles where they retain their baby k9's in which case they need to be surgically removed. This is usally done to stop crowding of the top teeth, ruining a bite and stopping food getting caught betwen the two etc.

I would suggest you consult with your vet as to the best course of action.

Edited by JAG

My Chihuahua just had 2 baby teeth removed today, she is 10 months and she has been having rawhide and pigs's ears since she was 3 months old but her baby teeth were stuck firm, she had to have them surgically removed but looks fine now just very tired, I would definately go to the vet and get it checked out it's unlikely they will fall out now.