Jinx Hates Bath Time

Borders On Insanity

I know he's only young (10 weeks) but my BC Jinx hates bath time! I mean REALLY hates it! I had to bath him today because he'd been playing in the mud outside and he howled and thrashed about like I was trying to kill him! I swear this dog thinks a bath is his equavilent to Dracula and the sun, this is the third time I've bathed him and each time it's the same thing. I've never come across this before, does anyone have any advice that can help me teach him that water won't cause him to melt? Tips on getting him used to being brushed so he doesn't try to eat it would be appreciated too lol.

Thanks, Insanity xox

In the laundry tubs. I'm using warm water and one of those attachments on a hose and a cloth. I've tried different water temps, have tried to massage him when I put on his shampoo, I don't have the water pressure too high, I try talking softly to him. I even put one of his toys in with him today, the only thing he's interested in is squealing?

Might be the height or the tub the pup is afraid of? I wash bella outside in a big plastic shell right on the ground and never had problems. Tie her with a lead and give her lots of treats or a chew. I use buckets of warm water but my dogs are shorthaired so don't need much cleaning.

If jinx is food focussed, lots of treats and encouragment help. Same with brushing, start with a few minutes at a time until Jinx is comfortable. Bella, who is now two, was afraid of everything new and needed heaps of encouragement to try new things. Only took a few successful goes to make her comfortable though.

You may be able to change to the laundry tub once Jinx is more comfortable.

I'm sure Jinx will be much more comfortable with this soon :cry: .

Good luck

Yay for me! Bathtime for Mum and Jinx! ;)

Makes me think back to a GSD my brother got from the pound. Sultan was a 2yr old that had been mistreated and was terrified of water so to bath him I had to put on my togs, straddle him while hugging his neck and whispering in his ear while my sis in law had the hose! I swear that dog went at least a year before he'd let me stand up to wash his back! :cry:

I would calmly talk to him about what a nice day it is outside and how he is going to get a nice blow dry afterwards and when he shuts up for a second tell him what a good boy he is.

Try offering him a bit of chicken or treats to take his mind off it.

I bathed my dogs the other day in the bath (usually do the hydrobath or shower with me!) and I had to con one dog in with a treat and another one with a toilet roll (she has a toilet roll obsession!) LOL!!!!

We use the hose, hooked up with an adaptor (Bunnings) to the warm water and wash outside.

When Kaisie first came it took two of us, and she used to snap when I got to the rear end. But She's settled now - I can do her alone and don't even have to tie up - the frequent treats have now been reduced to two handfuls - one at end of wash and another when finished. I'm sure that is all she thinks of now. ;)

There is a book called "Getting in T Touch With Your Dog" by Linda Tellington-Jones which you might find interesting.

:cry:

Thanks for the hints guys, will definatley try all your suggestions as soon as hubby comes off night shift, he loves spending time with Jinx almost as much as I do, so that really helps! Unfortunately because we're living in a little hick town in the middle of no where there is no hydrobath here. Hubby and I are looking into buying one in the near future but it still won't help if Jinx won't sit still lol.

Laughing so hard about the toilet roll obsession!

And ty noisymina on the book tip, I'm going to Google it now to find suppliers.

Thanks guys, Insanity xox

I have found, with my doggie wash clients, that mostly they will get used to it and eventually even enjoy it (hydrobath). I always try to make it as fun for them as i can (also makes my job more enjoyable). Just take it slow, and gentle, and lots of treats as has already been mentioned. Focus on the bits he isnt so worried about, make the drying part a big game of cuddles (with the towel)

As far as brushing, i would get a very soft brush, wont do much good as far as actually grooming him, but use it often, with treats and praise, to get him used to what you are doing. He is so young that he probably doesnt know what the heck is going on.

Best advice i can give is to try and make it fun for him

Perhaps make it a routine to have a brush session just before feed time. Short sessions first, and gradually increase, as he gets used to it, then get a proper brush for his coat and introduce it gradually. He's only a baby, and boarders are smarties, he will 'get it' eventually.

Have fun!!!