Teaching 'drop'

Actually, it's my uderstanding that in UDX they need both versions of drop - the foldback drop from a stand (starts from a bow when they do it themselves, if that makes sense), and also drop from sit - so ideally, we probably need to be teaching them "all positions from all positions", but clubs down here haven't quite got that far yet!

As Bloss 344 said, there's often a reluctance by dogs to do a drop in a situation where there are other dogs around, even if they will do it at home. Remember that drop is often a submissive posture for a dog, and requires the dog either to feel quite calm and in charge (therefore he doesn't care that he's dropped) or to be a somewhat submissive dog anyway.

So I'd probably be working on the foldback at home - you can shape it gradually if you like - reward elbows on floor, then gradually raise your criteria as you hold the yummy food there for licking, but don't release it until the bottom goes down.

I've heard the luring-under-your-bent-knee-while-you're-sitting-on-the-floor thing can work well, but I somehow don't think you're going to be able to so that with Daegon - your legs aren't long enough :rofl: .

P.S. It was really nice to meet you on Sunday.

I've heard the luring-under-your-bent-knee-while-you're-sitting-on-the-floor thing can work well, but I somehow don't think you're going to be able to so that with Daegon - your legs aren't long enough :clap: .

I hope you're not calling me short :clap::rofl:

Yes, I think the foldback would be best to teach him so will keep working on it. While Daegon is submissive to me, he is dominant around other dogs, and when the collie in his class decided he see how he'd go trying to stand over Daegon he got an earful, and then Daegon got an earful from me :clap: So the dominance factor could be why he is not comfortable dropping in class.

And it was very nice to meet you as well! The trainers at the club are happy and friendly and made me feel very welcome, and that helps a lot when you're a bit shy :clap:

"Actually, it's my uderstanding that in UDX they need both versions of drop - the foldback drop from a stand (starts from a bow when they do it themselves, if that makes sense), and also drop from sit - so ideally, we probably need to be teaching them "all positions from all positions", but clubs down here haven't quite got that far yet!"

You are right. But I have never taught my dog(s) at the club or at home to drop from a sit since changing to positives, but they have no trouble. We often use a simple change of positions test to "graduate" puppies from Class 1. Not always though. They really seem to catch on quite quickly.

LandP, it was interesting that you mentioned Mary Ray. I learnt the 'foldback' drop from her at a camp a couple of years ago, and was just watching one of her videos yesterday.. She said she always teaches all positions from all positions, as it is part of the English obedience scene - but recommends it anyway. She uses the drop from sit when getting the dog in position for a down stay, since it can often produce a "rolled on one hip" drop rather than a straight drop as the foldback gives, and she's quite happy for her dogs to be in the more relaxed position for stays.

(O/T Can't wait for Mary's October camp at Camp Tailwaggers. I know Toilet Brush is going - any other DOLers?)

Daegon is making my jaw drop with how quickly he is picking this obedience stuff up.

Before Sunday he had never done a 'drop', 'stay', 'wait' or recall before...and just now here at home he's gone through each of the exercises for the grade one examination without a fault :thumbsup: Even the timed stays! I cannot believe it! Of course doing that at training is something different with all the distractions.

The only thing that never seems to get any better is the 'stand for examination'...Daegon thinks if someone comes over to him it means he gets to slobber all over them while wagging his entire backend :mad

I am so proud of him :rofl:

Ok from what the trainer tells us is just put foot on the chain close the the collar and push down while saying drop. With a treat in front as well if needed. I haven't needed it but have seen it work so well with 3 dogs. Just small pressure of the lead, and say drop and wait, bingo down they go.Do it a few times and no more pressure on lead.

Thanks Sue :)

I'm sure that Daegon just didn't understand what I was wanting him to do and I much prefer to train him in a way that doesn't apply any pressure or any kind of correction when he's learning what is asked of him. He's got the hang of it now :)

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update...

Daegon had his grade one exam today (and we hadn't practiced for a month, but shhhh don't tell anyone!). He did really well and passed with a score of 94/100...and yes, he did the drop from the stand, woohoo!

Thanks for all your help everyone :vomit:

WooHOo go daegon and shek

he will put his sister to shame

Thanks Pandii, I was very proud of my big snuggle bum :vomit:

I'm sure Dante is a good girl too!! I need more photos of Dante, I haven't seen nearly enough :rofl:

Hey Shek - way to go for you and Daegon!! :(

I took the day off yesterday - I'd entered Fergus in Grade 4 test, but after spending all day at the tracking trial on Saturday (we failed :eek: - he overshot both turns, but at least he tracked!), I was ready for a day at home doing stuff I should have done ages ago.

Look forward to seeing you next week.

:eek: again!

That's a shame about Fergus, but at least he's on the right track :eek:

Should be there next week, but not sure what will be happening with Agility as Daegon just isn't keen on it at all and it's on at the same time as grade two :(