Eating Problem

dimex

Hi there,

I'm a first time puppy owner and I got my pugalier, Brutus, a few months ago. when he was only 8 weeks old. He's about 5 months old now and he only weighs about 3.8 kgs. He looks terribly skinny (ribs cant really be seen but easily felt) and he jst doesn't eat enough. But the weird thing is he's still extremely playful and active.

I havent changed his diet since i got him. His breeder was using Pedigree canned food mixed with milk and i continued tht and gradually introduced Advance (dry kibble mixed with the Pedigree canned food and milk) into his diet. he ate like a normal puppy but in the last month his appetite has decreased rapidly and i dont think its due to teething. Could he be fickle? because i assume tht if puppies are fickle, in the end, when they get hungry, they eventually eat. but Brutus doesnt.

He's currently on Advance and I've finally gotten him eating only dry food about three weeks ago. I give him about a handful of the dry food and he only finishes less than half of it. The same goes for canned food (I give him canned food once a day jst to encourage him to eat). He eats about half of the amount i give him and walks off. I'm jst getting worried because he's nearly 6 months old and he's not eating enough (in my opinion). I've taken him to the vet and he said tht it should be fine as long as he's playful and he said tht some owners do think that their dogs dont eat enough and we shouldnt push him. But i'm jst concerned with how skinny he is because my cousin owns a 6 month old pugalier and he's twice the size of Brutus. I've read every book about puppy diets and researched the net but I can't figure out why he isnt eating.

Could someone please help shed some light over this. It'd driving me crazy right now.

Thanks.

IMO I would get rid of the milk.

Give him a very small amout of food in the morning, about 2 tablespoons.

Lunchtime a chicken neck uncooked.

Evening another 2 tablespoons of soft food and later if he is now looking for food give him a small amount of the dry food.

Yot might be giving him to much in one go.

Good luck

Apolo

Remember that because it is a cross breed it could end up any size and shape. There can be huge differences between the dogs, depending on parents etc.

Because you dont know his pedigree and any genetic health problems in the lines you have to start basic.

Cut the cans out completely, theyre just like flavoured weetbix with water.

Get him chicken necks and wings for his fresh protein and exercise for his jaws. Start with half a bashed chicken neck every couple of days to make sure it doesnt upset his tummy. Also things like some chicken mince mixed with some grated cooked veges like carrot, pumpkin, spinach, even a little apple to sweeten it.

To put some weight on him there is puppy milk in the supermarket, I get some for my Belgian as she can be a skinny minny and she loves it (never cow/skim milk) When she teethed she got a little thin but she still drank the milk.

Change dry foods. If you are on pedigree products (Pal etc) then they put artificial colors/flavours in there as well as preservatives which can irritate his stomach or body. I know pugs are hardyer but sometimes the cavs can be a little sensitive.

Better brands are things like Eagle Pack, Nutrience, Royal Canin or even Bonny dry foods as they are artificial additive free. These brands are available in pet supply stores and they are a little dearer but with a small dog like yours you can stretch a bag to over a month! Plus they smell really good hehe ask for a sample bag from the supply store or go straight to the company reps as I know they have them. Even with the samples introduce it slowly so he doesnt get an upset, give him a few kibbles as a treat and see how he goes. Start mixing it with his normal kibble then you can change over completely.

Theres a product at Pets Paradise but the protein in that is insanely high and I wouldnt recommend it.

Pretty much the vet is right. If the dog is happy and healthy, well there's little you can do. Dont pander to any whims, leave the food there for 15 minutes and then remove it till the next meal time. NEVER leave dry out for him all day. Dont raise a fussy dog or you will go through this for another 10 years! No animal will starve itself and remember that for animals, being ribby thin is not a huge issue (emaciation is a whole other story and that requires vet treatment) Some dogs are just happy to be small eaters.

Dimex

I wouldn't worry about him being smaller than another pugalier. Crossbreeds - pug cross cavalier I assume - can take on characteristics of either breed so there can be huge size, shape and other differences between these dogs. Yours might be more pug than cavalier - not sure on ideal sizes for either of those though. Does your pup look like the other pug cavalier cross??

I agree with Apollo that cows milk is not good for dogs, I used goats milk for my new pup and plain yoghurt for my first pup. But only for a month or so, then just used water to make the biscuits easier to eat.

Do you have a photo?

Good luck

Edited by BellasPerson

Some cavalier pups go through quite a lean looking growth stage.

Generally Pugs tend to be chunkers, unfortunately you have no way of telling when you buy a cross which breed it will take after.

If your pup is healthy, lively, has a nice shine to it's coat and good colour in it's gums. I would not be too concerned. You do not want a hefty chubby pup whilst it is growing still anyway.

Edited by Nadia

hey guys.

thanks for the advice. i started feeding him a little less than usual and he finishes it and whines for more. maybe i jst needed to estimate the right amount to give him. he's doing well. but i'll keep you posted as he's gone thru this little strike and refuses to eat then within the next few days he starts binge eating.

but yea.. we'll see how it goes. and about the chicken necks. do i cook them? or give it to him raw? silly question but jst making sure im on the ball. haha. oh and i shouldve been more specific .. his breeder had always been giving him puppy milk, not cows milk. so jst letting you know.

thanks again guys.