Stiff Pups

Jed

Well its all over for now We have 5 beautiful red and white babies. They have been jabbed and fed and warmed and so far all are wriggly and lively , feeding well and no sign of a problem.The next week or so will tell the story but so far it was a very easy delivery and all is well.Ill give progress reports.Thanks for all the well wishes.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me fingers, toes and eyes crossed for the little'uns. What did they get jabbed with? They sound good so far - bet it all goes well.

Cowanbree - hypoglycaemia - how about sharing with us what you know?

[ 31-10-2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Jed ]

They got jabbed with an amino acid/ vitamin shot in case it was an arginine thing It also has calcium in it.They were also given a glucose/probiotic mix just after they were born to counteract the antibiotic shot I gave Mum 5 days ago and to try to prevent hypoglycemia.

They are in the loungeroom in a covered whelping box to prevent draughts with heater bags.

I tried to cover the hypoglycemia, hypothermia, calcium, arginine,EColi, staph, strep,and any other bacteria,fungi, parasites etc.Ive also updated my stethescope and my microscope.

Ive always got the brandy ready and Ive seen it work miracles but not on my stiffies.

I forgot to mention Ive also been supplimenting Mum with vitamin e as I was interested in the similarity to a desease lambs get if the ewes are fed on silage which is deficient in Vit E . A lot of my meat is fed after its been frozen and freezing kills off vitamin E Cant over dose on it so she got that with her raspberry leaf, folic acid and vitamins which are recommended for pregnant women.

You certainly did cover everything didn't you Steve, and it seems to have paid off.

Congratualtions - 5 little wrigglers...lovely :D

It sounds like a long fortnight or so ahead...not a lot of sleep being on stiffy shift eh?

Steve, I'm curious about this Brandy - what have you used it for in the past? Only when you get a mo that is.

D

[ 01-11-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: D ]

Basically you use the brandy for puppies and dogs the same way you do for people to warm them up from the inside and to treat shock.It also relaxes them the same as it does with people who are trembling uncontrollably.My vet put me onto this about 20 years ago when I had a dog with a C section who didnt handle the op very well as her uterus had ruptured.Just a drop or two with a puppy can give remarkable results .

I use the glucose injection in place of tube feeding and find it much more effective. Basically you warm the solution slightly and inject under the skin until there is a lump of fluid about the size of a golf ball in a large breed. When this disperses it is time to do it again, as simple as that. The puppies are kept lovely and hydrated and it is quick and easy. I have done this for up to 4 days.

As for the use of the brandy I have found it very effective in fitting puppies. You are giving them enough to get them drunk, this stops activity in the brain and gives you time to get them warm. The most important thing I have learnt however is that to feed them prior to having them warmed to a normal temperature is a death sentence, don't guess take their temperature.

Alright Here is the update. Nothing worked!

I got three stiff pups all of which have now died. 2 have been perfect and healthy and very robust all the way through. So I can tell you what its not.

Its not hypothermia as my vet suggested. They were warm all the way through with normal temperatures.

Its not bacterial, its not a parasite problem,

I injected them with the glucose fluid just as was suggested and it made no difference and Im certain its not hypoglycemia.They were treated as if they had this problem and it made no difference at all.

Its not a problem passed onto the bitch by the male, its not contageous.

Blood tests so far are inconclusive and show nothing out of the ordinary.

Its not caused by chemicals,toxins, vaccinations, worming meds etc.

Its not a vitamin, mineral, amino acid, enzyme deficiency.

I have to admit its been a bit stressful and Ill never get used to watching puppies fade away and the feeling of helplessness that comes with it.

My beautiful Corgi lady did all she could and she's a wonderful Mum but this is without a doubt her last litter and she can spend the rest of her days around here just gooffing off because Id never intentionally do this to myself ever again.None of her offspring will go out for breeding in case its something that can be passed on.

My advise to anyone that has had a bitch have puppies that have had this condition is to take them out of the breeding program.

Ill let you know when the final blood tests are in.

Hi Steve,

Good on you for making the tough decisions and your efforts to improve all our knowledge of breeding (for the betterment of dogs) and the problems associated with breeding.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bob

Wurroit Bedlingtons

The Wolves in Sheeps Clothing.

Hi Steve,

How terribly sad for you...

I doubt anyone could have been more prepared - and you must know, as we all do, that you gave it your very best.

This is natures doing, afterall.

this just makes things even more complicated, as we now have disproved all our theories. I am sorry about your pups. What i also find strange is that all your stiff pups passed away (inwhat time frame??) Mine just became the smallest and apart from his eyes is totally normal.

A solution may be to take this discussion and give it to someone in canine research, as they may have a clue, or if they dont may spart some research into this puzzling occurance

AWWW! Steve!!! NO!!! not again!! :D

This is too much--

i am upset about yours and mine now--all the best to you, and hugs over the waves, my dear friend!

lovely vibes to the wee mum too, as I cannot wait to hold my Jazz in my arms and comfort her myself--how sad,and you a re a trooper to advise us all the facts. Love