My Baby Is Sick..

ReXy

hi all, obviously i am going to take remy to the vet,,, but int the mean time , cant get an apointment till this arvo.... could anyone give me any advise..

ive know some people give benadryl... for coughs..

here are his symptoms ... coughing.. and snotty nose..

he started coughing last night.. and has coughed again this morning , not just one or 2 coughs , it went for a little while.. i know KC is going round so i was concerned

and wanting to know what i can do for him in the mean time..

he is a stafford and is 13 weeks old now and weighs 7.7 kilos

if anyone has and advise.. please either post here or pm,, thanks in advance simone.,

Far out, hope he is ok and its just a cold not KC. What time does he go to the vet?

Let me know how he goes, PLEASE.

hey renay i hope its just a cough too, poor little bugger.. hes not lethargic or anything still his hypo self..lol ill be on msn later and chat to ya ok... ill let u know.. vet is this arvo..

Although Canine Cough (CC) can lead to more serious secondary problems, seeing as you're on to this reasonably soon, even if it is CC, it shouldn't be anything to panic about. CC itself is a virus, so there's not much the Vets can do, but they will probably put Remy onto antibiotics to wipe out any other associated problem which could develope (eg. pnemonia) and to help clear up any bacterial discharge from the nose. Will also probably prescribe cough syrup to ease coughing.

Your main thing then is to keep him isolated to help lower the incidence of him passing CC onto other dogs.

I know there are others who will be able to provide more detailed and specific responses than I, but seeing as you're off to the Vet this afternoon, there should be no reason for alarm or panic. Stay calm .... I'm sure Remy will be fine.

Edited by Erny

Hi Rexy,

My little girl Mel had a shocking cold at around about the same age (if memory serves correctly). She wasn't really coughing though, just lots of snot and sneezing. She needed a couple of courses of antibiotics to sort it out but was not lethargic or off her food. Just out of interest but did Remy have a KC vaccine recently? If so, was it by injection or nasal delivery (spray)?

Hope the little guy gets well soon :hug:

Regards,

Corine

Hi Rexy,

My little girl Mel had a shocking cold at around about the same age (if memory serves correctly). She wasn't really coughing though, just lots of snot and sneezing. She needed a couple of courses of antibiotics to sort it out but was not lethargic or off her food. Just out of interest but did Remy have a KC vaccine recently? If so, was it by injection or nasal delivery (spray)?

Hope the little guy gets well soon :hug:

Regards,

Corine

hi corinne yes he did have the c5 and it was the nasal spray?????

Just out of interest but did Remy have a KC vaccine recently? If so, was it by injection or nasal delivery (spray)?

Regards,

Corine

Mine both got KC a week or so after having the nasal stuff vaccination and then my old dog got KC anyway a month later at the kennel. Last year we had the C5 injection and no KC even after a few days at the kennel. Is the nasal delivery more likely to give them a mild dose of KC?

Just out of interest but did Remy have a KC vaccine recently? If so, was it by injection or nasal delivery (spray)?

Regards,

Corine

Mine both got KC a week or so after having the nasal stuff vaccination and then my old dog got KC anyway a month later at the kennel. Last year we had the C5 injection and no KC even after a few days at the kennel. Is the nasal delivery more likely to give them a mild dose of KC?

thats what im wondering???? toby had it earlier this year and was a little unwell and lethargic but no coughing.. he did sneeze a bit and have a little snotty nose tho from memory.. maybe they do get a touch of it?

The nasal spray, Bronchshield, has a known side effect of giving an infection to the trachea which results in a hacking type of cough.

How do i know this; last year I had mine done with Bronchoshield and within a few days I thought she had KC

A trip to the now former Vet and it was explained this is quite a common side effect.

Antibiotics, Benadryl and a very low dose of cortisone settled it down

No more Bronchoshield for my dogs

This is a really interesting thread.

When Milli (chihuahua) had a C5 last time she came up with a HUGE lump at the injection site and I was going to get it done nasaly when she is due for a booster - now I am not so sure??

I've had several of my dogs done with the nose squirty vaccination, some have even had it a few times now, with no problem other than sounding a bit 'snotty' for a few days.

Hope Remy is feeling better

My understanding is that the nasal spray vaccine is "live" and that you also have to be careful that another dog is not close by within "x" (?) period of time, as they can otherwise pick up CC from droplets which might still remain in the recently vaccinated dog's nasal tubes (?) or on its nose. :bottom: Not sure the truth in this though. :rofl:

my pup was ill when i first purchased her spending a week at the vet, and then she caught kennel cough needing antibiotics x 2 courses when she was finally better she had the nasal drips vacc as the vet said the injection vacc can sometimes cause the dog a lot of pain he said he has seen them yelp up to 5 minutes. she did contract a mild kc after the vet said my other dogs where safe from her mild cough from immun. i did worry but my other dogs didnt come down with the virus than heavens ..it did cause me a great deal of worry i have to admit

This is quite interesting ~ I had my pup from my last litter done with the nasal spray with no ill effects to her or any of my others. She was the first to have it that way and at the time I did comment to the vet that it seemed rather messy and double handling when the c5 is just one quick jab. I have my two new girls going in for theirs on wednesday and now I'm thinking to just stick with the needle! Thanks for the warning guys, I'd rather not take the risk.