Another Question For The 'lord Of The Drives"!

Ok, I am having a few problems with my puppy when it comes to buidling up drive. Firstly I cannot tie him up and get him to play with ball, he gets too stressed and will not get interested in the ball at all. Secondly when I have him on a long line and am playing with ball, even if I let him 'capture' it heaps, he still decides after awhile to start grabbing the lead! He was chasing the ball WITH the lead in his mouth trying to fit that in as well. :bottom: Also I appear to have inherited two left feet, obviously one from each parent, and find that after I have finished spinning and the world comes back into focus, the lead is nowhere near my feet, but laying miles away from me on the ground. Now I don't THINK I'm moving all over the place when spinning, but unless my lead is possesed and tired of this game and just wanders off, I must be! :rofl: Now I try having it over my left foot, with my left foot slightly forward, and yet this still seems to happen! ALSO (Yes I admit, I am hopeless and in need of desperate help!) Whichever way I try to pick up lead to 'helicopter' puppy, he always ends up either walking the same way and keeping pace with me, OR he just sits down and looks at me with ball in his mouth, and I didn't think I was supposed to 'drag' him around in a circle??! :rofl: Apart from all that we;re doing really well! Honest!! ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to be having the same type of a problem, a tie out basically doenst happen, neither for this or for TOT, she just bites the lead and gives up in a split second, not being interested in the food or the toy. She will just find a tinies piece of grass and play with that herself. :dropjaw:

I do manage to do the helicopter with the toy, yes sometimes wiht a lead in her mouth, but I try to basically exchange the lead for the toy.

So today I have sucessfully done 4 helicopters with the puppy being eager to do stuff, in the location other than my backyard (still no distractions), we got some lead biting but an improvement from couple of days ago.

I certainly get head spins big time as she doesnt drop the toy for ages and gallops with it for countless amount of circles.

I have the toy on the lead as well, apart from having the dog on lead, if that is any help wyvernblade.

Harley does the helicopter thing with the ball and the lead in his mouth. Eventually he gets annoyed and drops the lead first and then the ball.

anyone wonder how these dogs dont get dizzy? They must think we're crazy!!

K9: flat out here today, dogs every where, but Myszka, if you have your dog running around all the time, playing all the time, then this can be why your pup is un focussed, she is playing all day & when you want to play she isnt driven enough...

She shouldnt be hanging off you if your not dedicated to play, crate her...

For the dog not going into drive with the leash on, if the dog will go into drive with just a collar, use that with a piece of rope attached 20 cm long, then when that poses no distraction use 40 cm & work up to leash length...

Shorten the free time the pup has if you want to make a strong worker out of them...

you lost me!

if he catches it - do I just drop the ball?

also he's doing a sit/drop even when I dont ask it - like in the middle of spinning, he'll suddenly sit/drop. Should I keep spinning or reward him with the toy?

Ok, I am having a few problems with my puppy when it comes to buidling up drive. Firstly I cannot tie him up and get him to play with ball, he gets too stressed and will not get interested in the ball at all. Secondly when I have him on a long line and am playing with ball, even if I let him 'capture' it heaps, he still decides after awhile to start grabbing the lead! He was chasing the ball WITH the lead in his mouth trying to fit that in as well. :dropjaw: Also I appear to have inherited two left feet, obviously one from each parent, and find that after I have finished spinning and the world comes back into focus, the lead is nowhere near my feet, but laying miles away from me on the ground. Now I don't THINK I'm moving all over the place when spinning, but unless my lead is possesed and tired of this game and just wanders off, I must be! :rofl: Now I try having it over my left foot, with my left foot slightly forward, and yet this still seems to happen! ALSO (Yes I admit, I am hopeless and in need of desperate help!) Whichever way I try to pick up lead to 'helicopter' puppy, he always ends up either walking the same way and keeping pace with me, OR he just sits down and looks at me with ball in his mouth, and I didn't think I was supposed to 'drag' him around in a circle??! ;) Apart from all that we;re doing really well! Honest!! :(

Hi Wyv

Cyclone Bruno is the same except he doesn't get stressed. He spends most of his time chasing the lead rather than the ball. I can see from K9's advice that I have been doing it wrong again :(:)

Will have to keep trying :rofl:

Last night I had a bit more time than usual hence I did heaps of activities with my Baby.

Oh was she worn out by the end of the day or what :thumbsup: at 10 pm she basically walked off to the bedroom got in her crate by herself and collapsed :mad

Taking K9s advice on board I got a piece of wood to tie her up to and use my miniture horse to plow my backyard :) in case I wanted to plant some potatoes in the spring :rofl: , however it had turned out as she wants it as yet another toy ;)

so I did few helicopters on lead as that seemed to work in the past than got home tied her up to the dining table and off she went yanking the table few times. Not ideal but at least she did it few times

More helicopters on lead inside, those that have been to my place will know how long my living room is, well for Ms Divani to drop the toy it takes for me to walk 27 times the lenght of the room there and back.

Back outside more helicopters, Im considering just placing the office chair to be spinned around by the dog either one way or the other :mad Head spins to the max, might have to give up booz and drugs (sex and rock'n'roll can stay) getting enough damamge done to the brain wiht the spins :D

Than we had a theraputic visit of a friend with a child and Im pleased to say that after a while both the child and the dog ended up on the sofa cuddling.

I meant how do you know over time (not on the day) that you have developed the drive high enough for you to start adding the focus stuff and commands.

Or does the drive continually develop over time until it reaches the dogs genetic capability?

Than how do you know you got there? Im imagining not many people actually do get there with their dogs (if the dogs are extra smart).

Edited by myszka