Biting Puppy

bikle

Hey guys.

My 11 week old corgi pup - Douglas - is a real ankle/arm/hair/hand biter. Everytime we are not focussing all of our attention on him he will bite us anywhere he can reach (thank gawd for the stumpy legs).

I have been saying 'no' and clapping my hands to distract him but this seems to stir him up more. He then barks and bites harder and gets very aggessive. :rainbowbridge:

As of a week ago we have been putting him in his pen everytime he starts going crazy and this settles him down generally straight away.

We wait until he is settled until we let him out and he is usually fine for a bit until he bites us again.

I have taught him to sit which I have been using to distract him from the biting. He has plenty of toys and excercise.

I know corgis have a reputation for being a bit 'nippy' as adults and I really want to make sure I am not inadvertenly encouraging this behaviour.

Am I doing the right thing?

Hi bikle

I’m sure someone with more experience than me will be along in a jiffy but I’ll put my two cents in.

My little guy was a nipper too at an early age but grew out of it before too long, I’m sure Douglas will aswell. When he bites tell him ‘no’ in a firm, loud voice and if he continues walk away and ignore him. Your lack of attention should serve as the punishment.

On a few occasions I separated us by me going into the laundry and ironing for a 10-15 minute period. I’d shut the door so he couldn’t see me and made a lot of noise pretending I was having a fabulous and exciting time on the other side of the door where he couldn’t see me. A bit of whining resulted which I ignored. 15 minutes when he was quiet I would come out to a mellow, a bit sooky but no nippy puppy. Reverse psychology perhaps? :cry: Not sure, but it worked.

I also taught my boy ‘kisses’ aka licks. He got lots of praise for giving kisses so he knew the command from an early stage. Then if he was mouthing or bordering nippy I would change his focus and ask for kisses. Now as a big grown up, mature (not!) 1 year old when he gets a little carried away with mouthing during play he will still switch to ‘kisses’ on command.

Good luck! :rainbowbridge:

My vet told me a trick for my first boy. He said, whenever he nip too hard, yelp and ignore him until he calm down. His reasoning be that this is a pack-dog behaviour, in that they want to play but don't know yet the extent of their strength. yet When we or the litter mates yelp, it is telling him that his nip is too hard and result in us ignoring him. But again, you feel really odd yelping in the middle of the day...It does work though..my dogs no longer nip me...

Another trick i heard is to nip the dog's ear. I heard it is very effective but i have no idea how willing you are to taste your furkid's ear.

Cheers, Hellen