Toilet Training - Any Tips?

ptero5

I have a mini schnauzer pup - 10 weeks today. Got her last week. She is a very good pup generally, but the toilet training is stressing me a bit. I live in an upstairs apartment with a balcony. I have a crate and am trying very hard to get her in to a routine so that I try to get her to come out to the balcony with me when she wakes up, after she eats, after she plays (even during play time when I've seen her have a drink) and before she gos to sleep. So far no dramas in the crate, she settles very quickly when I put her in there. But I just can't seem to encourage her enough to go to the toilet on the balcony. As it has been cold in Melbourne, I thought the cold concrete could be a problem? I started with a doggy tray, then newspaper. Friends of friends have toilet trained their dog to go the loo on a towel. So I now have towels on my balcony for her. When she does go there, I praise her heaps and say 'hurry up'. The problem is she keeps on going to the loo inside (usually on carpetted areas), when I manage to get her to come outside she often decides she will either sit at my feet or play around and eventually if nothing happens she will even lie down at my feet. I don't play with her or speak to her during this time. I have waited up to 25 minutes and nothing, and when I give up and bring her inside she does her business. I have also tried interrupting her when she is about to do a wee and she'll either ignore or just clam up and when I take her outside she does nothing. I have also taken her to my parents house one day, and not one accident inside and went to the toilet outside on the grass straight away. When she does go to the loo inside I don't make a fuss and just clean up the mess quietly and use either vinegar or a pet stain spray. I know toilet training takes a while - but any tips that might help me?

Hello There :champagne:

I would love to see pics of your puppy!!!

We trained Bailey to go on a wee pad on the balcony of our unit and to be honest it was hard going but we did get there!!

I found that Bailey loved to wee on carpet so I ended up putting plastic stripping down on the carpet until he was trained (you can buy this a bunnings). That way he couldn't smell previous accidents and the plastic wasn't so nice to go on so he started to use the one outside. I promise you it will happen!!

You are doing everything right!! But I would say that sometimes I waited outside on the balcony for an hour before Bailey did a wee........

Also, have you tried giving her a treat when she does to a wee in the correct area? This worked really well for us!! You have to do it straight away as soon as she wee so she understands if she wee's in the right place she gets a treat. We walked around with doggie treats in our pockets for months!! :thumbsup:

One question, when you walk up do you carry her to the balcony with you? I did this with Bailey at first to make sure there were no accidents on the way and eventually he just went himself :thumbsup:

Goodluck and let me know if you have any questions!!

I have toilet trained both my dogs to wee on a balcony successfully!!

Mel

There was a fantastic invention on the "New Inventors" tv program recently - a doggie toilet designed especially for units. Really brilliant.

It's on the ABC, try looking for it or something similar. I rehomed a rescued dog to a unit with a box containing grass and she adapted to that no problem. I had housetrained her at my place first. Puppies are always a bit more effort with housetraining as opposed to older dogs. She sounds like she'll get there though.

Here are some housetraining tips I got from a trainer - they've worked for me on 30 odd foster dogs!

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

Hi There :D

Have a look at the below link, there are a few different types of doggie wee pad type things! I think they would be great for your situation!!!

Toilet solutions

She is so cute!!!! OMG!! can I take her home!!!

One of my pups is black too, it is so hard to get decent photos!!!

As the suggestions above are great! My command for Chelsea is "Do a wee!" it took a while but she will now turn around and go and do a wee.....

Mel