Labrador Pup Has Big Belly And Spewin

foxy0711

My names Jason, I'm pinching cass' account for a while :rolleyes:

My 7m/o pup isn't well. The last few days he has had really sloppy droppings and a big gut. He has also been breathing shallowish and harsh. His nose is dry but running and just this morning he spewed twice.

He gets heartwormed reguarly but his all round wormer is a few weeks late.

From what I gathered, you are all touchyfeely people :mad so here is some cute pics

day-five%20005.jpg

vader.jpg

My dad has a chocolate lab and if yours is anything like Milo, he's eaten every damn thing he can find!

Do you have any other dogs that he may've been stealing food from? We found that was a big issue with Milo, we'd take him down to the kennel with the other two at night and in the morning he'd be bloated and slobbering. Turns out the other two were leaving some food for later in the night and he's run down and gobble it all up.

We fixed that by feeding the others early and keeping him separate during meal times.

Re the onion, would it have rolled out of a cupboard unnoticed?

Hope everything goes well.

I worded that poorly, he only had a big gut overnight. He seems fine now he spewed, and is running around playing as usual. I'll keep an eye on him though, but I dont think he needs to go to the vet.

Trajic, he is an only child :rolleyes:

but his all round wormer is a few weeks late.

Worm him :rolleyes:

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty.

Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives -

raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

but his all round wormer is a few weeks late.

Worm him :D

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty.

Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives -

raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

I ran out of tables.

Does the onion leave his system over time?

He seems fine now.

It could be bloat. Does he seem uncomfortable or is he dry-wretching at all? Big-chested dogs (and especially dogs who hoover their food) are very prone to bloat. My Great Dane died from it, and so did my Grandparent's Dalmation. However I have another dog (Lab cross) who looks bloated after almost every meal, but never actually gets bloat. I would take him to the vet just in case.

ETA: I just saw that you are in QLD. In warmer states, its more important to keep worming/flea treatment up to date as they are more common. Worm him ASAP.

Edited by Kirty

my lab puppy thats also 7months gets a really big tummy when he gets into the shed and eats allthe food thats left over in the dog food bucket. If you let him he will eat 20kgs in one sitting, (doesnt get in there anymore i've stopped that) but he goes through the same thing after he eats it all he will be puffed up for a few hours then he'll have a huge diareohhrear(spelling?) and let some gas and then his stomach will go down, but he still has diareohhrear for about a week. As for the onions i would really be careful with onions because in some cases they can cause anemia. Watch him and if it happens again take him to the vets for a quick check up

Good news, I wormed him and after the last day or two he has gone back to normal and his droppings are solid.

He is back to being a guts again :rofl:

On another note, he has been particuarly hypo and licky/mouthy since. Whats up with that?