New Pup & Older Dog. Are They Playing Or Fighting?

ruthie

This is my first post so I'll probably stuff something up in the process!

We have a 4 year old desexed male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a month ago we bought a bitch Cav. puppy who is now 13 weeks old. They appear to get on very well, I feed them in separate areas and make sure to give the older dog special walks and outings in the car and leave the puppy at home. She's quite a handful, a fearless minx! I'm a bit anxious when I watch them engage in very rough and tumble playing sessions, the male growling and barking with the pup swinging from his ears or tail and pouncing on him,biting him everywhere with her razor sharp teeth. During these sessions I notice that both tails are wagging constantly even when she screams to be released from his jaws, but I have to wonder whether it could get completely out of control as she could try his patience just too far. He has a great easy-going temperament and in comparison she seems so pushy and is always going back for more "games"! The Forums have been such a help to me I'm hoping someone may have a few words of advice.post-11229-1154759990_thumb.jpg

Took me about 4 weeks to get used to my dog playing and sometime fighting together...when I see that the oldest one is too harsh, then I put her in her 'naughty' corner... :rofl::)

But the more they are together, the best it will be for them. I make sure that both get their special time, and I usually do that when one of them is asleep, just to avoid the other being jealous. I think that its working well so far. :rofl:

Cheers

I love your pic - your two are gorgeous!

As you know from my other post, I have a 8 week old male lab pup. I also have a 9 month old female min schnauzer.

When they play, it is actually the other way around - the schnauzer plays too rough with the puppy! I usually let them sort things out themselves until it appears the puppy has had enough then I seperate the two. Especially if I hear a lot of squeals from the lab.

I have a 9 week old Border Collie x Blue Healer.. Whilst my fiance and i are at work, he stays at my future parents place with their older dog Georgie. Pathc (my pup) teases him, races after him and even pinches his toys and runs in front of Georgie as if to say, 'ha, i got it'. Georgie does growl and sometimes even chases Patch away, but has never bitten Patch.

We found, leaving the George in another room when Patch first arrives each morning for half an hr helps George accept Patch is there for the day. They get on ok. They even sleep together on the couch now.

Having an older dog will help the younger one learn to be around dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with my boys too. I have an almost-7 year old sheltie and an almost-1 german shepherd pup. Whenever they play, it looks like they're fighting; all the teeth and yaps come out and when it sounds like one of the dogs is in actual pain, its the instant 'NO!' and the water spray (my boys hate it). I always thought it was serious fighting, but then two minutes later, they'd be curled up against each other asleep, or licking each other's paws.

My advice is that if you feel that the dogs are pushing the whole 'playful-fighting' too far, then break it up.

I have been minding my sisters cattlex kelpie (2.5 years i have had her ggrr) who is now 14yrs old chloe didnt get on well with other dogs so i was really worried when i got bella at 14wks i introduced them slowly but not at home first. I think it was the best thing i have ever done as bella has learn't alot off chloe they play all the time if chloe has had enough she does show her teeth but bella knows its break time and will leave her alone im now worried that if chloe does ever go how will bella cope as they follow each other around all the time.

if your boy was really fighting you would know the difference, they are probably having a ball and getting carried away.

cute pic she looks so tiny hehe