Im In Need Of Some Help, Dog Is Driving Me Insane.

What worked for me with a similar problem with a puppy (kept waking and crying at 4am, then just wanted to play) was setting my alarm for a time before she would wake up (ie 2 or 3am), taking her outside for a wee, absolutely no playing, just on leash standing around until she weed, then back inside and to bed again.

She'd whimper a bit when returned to her crate, but went off to sleep just like she did earlier in the evening- force of habit, I think, and then she'd go back into a new sleep cycle. And later in the morning we all got up at a more reasonable hour.

Basically this stopped the habit of puppy crying for attention, me not being sure if she needed a wee, so giving in and getting up. By waking her up before she did it herself I could reassure myself that she was empty, and "reset" her for another period of sleep. Gradually I set my alarm for later and later (over a period of weeks), until the early morning wee-time was the same as getting-up time.

Amen, that's what I'm talking about!

Easiest solution would be is to purchase a king size bed and that way there's room for all of you :rofl:

Yeah, in the middle all huddled together, NOT!

Dogs in beds ruin sex life!

But then......

A little puff of wind, comes from the heart!

Travels down the backbone, generates a fart!

Farts are very useful, the do the body-ease!

They warm the bed in Winter time, and suffocated the fleas!

My whippet slept in the bed for the first 6 months, then we discovered crates and she slept in our room in the crate. She whinged, I figured out she was cold, she now has a queen size mink blankie in her crate.

Ziggy our grey boy recently got desexed so we moved his crate into our room and offered Coco to sleep in the bed. Nup, she wanted to sleep in her crate, in the study, by herself :rofl:

Ziggy whinges but once it is established he doesn't need to wee, he gets ignored. Took 3 weeks and he still tries it on every now and then but it does work eventually.

QUOTE(slim1 @ 31st Aug 2006 - 03:47 PM)

Easiest solution would be is to purchase a king size bed and that way there's room for all of you

:) my four line up in a row and watch which can be abit off putting :eek:

Yeah, I know I am as soft as butter and I train using "Positves" BUT

No dog of ours is allowed on the furniture

No dog of ours gets to be on the bed till they have an obedience title, and they are fully compliant with off.

My old dog sleeps next to the bed in his bed, my young dog in her crate in my line of sight in an adjacent room. In the early days we used a cover. I find that a bit of exercise and some training really helps the young ones to sleep through. We sorted all this stuff out well before we got our new pup.

My young dog is much smaller than my old dog so the hierachy is hopefully very clear. It is.

It is important to establish leadership, and i know how hard that can be, but you need to move on after clearly establishing this. I have found that the hard words and shakes etc are just not needed and can be counterproductive. This dosen't mean that you don't need to act in a firm and fair way. We have dogs as companions to enjoy their company, not to have another pain in the bum like an unwanted relative or workmate.

As for the whining, I have just been through that, and we chose to treat it as an invitation to go outside. worked really well. Pays to pick up toys etc before nightfall though. I was really agin correcting for whining becuase I don't like picking up messes off the carpet becuase my dog is too scared to alert to wanting to go outside.

Easiest solution would be is to purchase a king size bed and that way there's room for all of you :rofl:

;)

My old dobe Daims, somehow worked out that he was allowed to sleep with me when I was alone in bed, but not when I had a companion.....because he learned it so many years ago I'm not sure how I taught him that...but I think I recall several nights of stern "NO!" s & "piss off" (which was his command for go away! ;) )

I still never quite trained him out of hogging all the doona though....dobe's do a really good "dead dog" impression when they're comfy on the bed & 34kgs isn't easy to move! :banghead: In the end I settled on having a single doona beside me as well so that if I woke up with a small corner of the queen size doona...I had another option....and then I'd just roll over & cuddle him! :rofl::)

yeah I know..I'm a softie!!!....but he was more faithful than any other man I've had in my life! :rofl:

Aus

...and yeah...that watching bit is REALLY off putting!!!...but if you want a really good laugh....a BF & I got a bit "experimental" one evening in the loungeroom...had to stop really quick because the noises I was making had Daims worried I was being hurt....I suddenly heard that low warning growl, then the silence that dobe's give right before they launch! & guess who's backside was right in the firing line! :confused: I've never seen a guy leap up so quick! :dropjaw: (luckily quick enough!)...I couldn't stop laughing...thinking of how he would explain it if Daims had of succedeed in "rescuing" his mum! :cry::mad:mad

Whinging dogs do not always need a whizz. My boy is 18 months old and will sit next to me and whinge and whinge and whinge for half an hour, I can stonily faced ignore him and he will do it all day... he's doing it because he wants to go outside - TO PLAY. He wont whizz, he'll just demand I throw a ball around ;)

Barker will just sit and whine. Just cause.

Just cause... he saw the cat...he saw Mitchi, he heard the phone.

He is ignored.

If int he middle of the night he gets up or annoys me, he sleeps in a bed on the floor of our room, he gets put outside. He goes to the loo before bed as does Mitchi.

No talking, no nothing. Just outside until the morning. I had to do this 3 times. He doesn't wake anymore.

Mithci ends up under the doona t my feet when i wake up. SHe has gotten cold and found the warmth.