Puppy Advice

Bonnie Ls

Hello. My name is ELizabeth and my husband and I are about to bring home a West Highland White Terrier. I am looking for some advice about when the best time to bring the puppy home. I am a school teacher and will be away from home from 8.30-4.00. The puppy is 9 weeks old now and the breeder has expalined that she is avaible any time. I could wait until the school holidays in four weeks as this would give me more time to get to know the pup and begin training her. But we are so excited to be able to bring her home and four weeks seems such a long time. Would it be mean to collect her one Friday and go back to work on the Monday or Tuesday?

I have answered your question in general :clap:....

As I said there, in short yes it is mean to do that, as you can not devote the time, care and attention this puppy needs to settle her in, you also aren't able to give her, her 3 required meals a day.

Welcome to DOL!

I personally don't see why you should wait another 4 weeks. Plenty of young puppies cope and cope well with being left alone.

Is there anyone who could go around to your house to be able to feed her the meals that you wont be there for? To give her a little attention etc?

Make sure the area she is left in is safe and leave out some toys for her, she'll probably sleep most of the day away anyways :clap:

a hard decision.

l would bring puppy home as they do sleep alot at that age.

it would also learn that you come and go and should not fret when

you have to leave it but l also would wait if someone cant check and feed pup during

those hours.

Hi There,

You could go either way with this........

When we got Bailey we both worked full time so we just had the weekend to settle him in but I was able to come home at lunch...and he was fine.

When we got Chelsea I took 2 weeks off work to settle her in. To be honest this was the best way as I was able to get a great start to toilet training and she settled in a lot quicker that Bailey did.......

I would say its up to you. But I think you would need to organise someone to come and feed your puppy and spend a little bit of time with her until she gets a little bit older.

Mel