Help Toilet Training Sheltie Puppy

Jejuna

Hi To All,

I am having trouble training my 10 wk Sheltie pup. I take him out as often as needed, eg after sleeps, food, & play time. He is even left in the yard with our 7yr pom x chi at times (when busy or out), for up to 30 mins etc. However in less than a minute of coming inside he pees :rofl: on the floor, usually lino, but sometimes on the carpet. I seem to have more success catching him before he poos. We have had him for 2 weeks now, but when we first got him, I would take him out, he's pee then when I brought him back in he would do up to 4-5 little pees in the next 10 minutes making it harder to work out when he needed to go. I have praised him & given treats, but it doesn't seem to help. When I catch him I do tell him NO, go grab the towel and then mop up. He sees me with the towel now and goes into the lounge as if to say "Hey I'm over here - ir couldn't have been me". I know he is still young, but I was hoping we would have a little more success by now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Julie :offtopic:

Edited by Jejuna

When your puppy pees inside, wipe it up with paper towel, take this out into the yard and put it down where you would like your dog to wee. When your dog sniffs it, praise heavily. It might be that your dog is not connecting weeing with outside but instead sounds like he's trying to mark his territory.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I would add an update for Captain's toilet training. I'm very pleased that today he actually went to the toilet 3 different times after I told him to "do wees" (on command) before going inside. He is still having accidents inside way too often, he'll go again within 10 - 15 mins of being outside,(but not always) which makes it harder to get the timing right. He's 13 weeks old now, so I was hoping for more improvement. Is it possible that he has a smaller/weak bladder, or is it just that he's a puppy? He also does 1 - 2 poos & wets his bed (crate) overnight. I crate him anytime from 10.30pm - 12.00pm and I'm usually up between 6.00am - 7.00am. Any help with this is much appreciated.

I cant see a 10 week old hanging on for at least 6 hrs. Just too much for them.

NEVER punish a puppy for weeing. Thats why the pup runs away now, grab it in the middle of the act and run outside or ignore the pup while you clean up.