Vitamin E

Seita

Hi all, does any one here feed vitamin E to their dogs and if yes how much? I was recently told that its good to feed them a bit extra but I was unsure on how much. I have a 22kg GSD cross and a 7kg border collie puppy, both are fed BARF so I don't know if I even need to feed it to them? Thanks in advance for your knowledge :happydance2:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foods containing vit E

Oils and Fats Vitamin E in IU (PER 100g portion)

Wheat Germ Oil 178

Sunflower Oil 72.6

Safflower Oil 59

Peanut Oil 28

Soft Margarine 29.7

Mayonnaise 19.3

Hard Margarine 16

Soybean Oil 11.8

Butter 3.2

Grains

Wheat Germ 17.4

Rolled Oats 2

Brown Rice, Cooked 2

Whole Wheat Bread 0.8

White Rice, Cooked 0.1

Nuts and Seeds

Raw Sunflower Seeds 73.4

Almonds 40.5

Dry Roasted Peanuts 10.7

Peanut Butter 9.2

Cashews 0.3

Meat, Fish, Dairy

Broiled Liver 0.9

Shrimp, Baked 0.9

Fried Chicken 0.9

Eggs 0.7

Bacon 0.7

Broiled Chicken 0.6

Broiled Steak 0.5

Fruits

Blackberries 4.9

Apples 0.5

Bananas 0.3

Cantaloupe 0.2

Strawberries 0.2

Fresh Vegetables

Asparagus 2.7

Spinach 2.7

Peas 0.8

Broccoli 0.7

Although fat soluble (ie. you can overdo it) there does not seem to be many side effects and I think that level that can cause side effects is pretty high. If you are not giving any of the above foods that contain high amount (mainly fats such as margarine or nuts) I would suplement, any human vit suplement that has reasonable vit E should be good (I think around few (to change:not thousand), hundred IU is sufficient).

I prepare rice for my dog and I put a bit of margarine into it so he gets it that way, but while he was younger I did give him human suplements....

Edited by Skipy

Wow! That's impressive, thanks heaps for that... do you by any chance know if sunflower safflower oils have the same kind of effect on skin as say cod liver or flaxseed, ie. helps keep it healthy and not dry and flaky cos I currently feed either of those two oils but if sunflower or safflower have a similar effect then that would basically be acheiving two things with the one item. Thanks!

The recommended level of Vitamin E for dogs is .5 IU/kg bodyweight and the safe upper limit at 17 IU/kg bodyweight. Excess Vit E is not connected with any toxicity problems but too much has been shown to cause blood clotting problems.

Sunflower and safflower oils are beneficial to the skin and coat.

Bloss344 - thanks for that info, very muchly appreciated

Does anyone know how the IU in Vitamin E would convert to teaspoons? I have Vit. E powder but have no idea how much to feed. I want to add it because I feed fish oil capsules and believe I need to add Vit. E?

... too much [Vitamin E] has been shown to cause blood clotting problems.

Meaning causes the blood to clot, or meaning the blood is inclined not to clot (when it should)? :rolleyes: Just querying/curious. :wave:

Good info in this thread. Thank you. :thumbsup:

We use fish oil capsules that have Vit E in them - 1 per 10 kgs of body weight.

With my Dane & GSD x if they were not getting the fish oil I would provide 1 x Vit E capsule every 2 days......careful on the supplimenting....speak with your vet or animal holistic practioner.

Can anyone help with the Vitamin E teaspoon dosage? :rofl: All the information I can find relates to mg (my scales don't weigh such minute amounts) and IU. I feed fish oil to help the old dog with arthritis but really need to add some Vit. E. My fish oil capsules do not have Vit E in them.

Can anyone help with the Vitamin E teaspoon dosage? :rofl: All the information I can find relates to mg (my scales don't weigh such minute amounts) and IU. I feed fish oil to help the old dog with arthritis but really need to add some Vit. E. My fish oil capsules do not have Vit E in them.

Vitamin E usually comes in capsule form, do you have some that is in liquid form that you would measure with a teaspoon or a powder.

ETA: Whoops just read your earlier post about powder. Does it have any sort of dosage on it? I wouldn't use anything that doesn't tell me what the elemental dose is.

Edited by bloss344

I guess only guideline would be what they recomend for humans to use. Usually for a smaller dog I would give 1/2 of human dose and maybe not every day but 3-4 times a week. Sometimes its hard to transfer IU into mg or g, in fact in can be a real pain, but I have found that what is recomended for humans is not too different (especially for children) to what should be used for dogs.

I bought the powder in a clear plastic bag from the produce. I may have to ask to see the bulk bag it came from. It may only have horse dosage amounts on it.

Ok, what you want to know is how many mg per gram of powder, then we can work out a dose. If they buy in bulk and bag it up they should have the details for you.

I guess only guideline would be what they recomend for humans to use. Usually for a smaller dog I would give 1/2 of human dose and maybe not every day but 3-4 times a week. Sometimes its hard to transfer IU into mg or g, in fact in can be a real pain, but I have found that what is recomended for humans is not too different (especially for children) to what should be used for dogs.

There are quite specific recommended amounts of vitamins and minerals for dogs. It's not really just a matter of saying a dog is half the size of a human and go from their. Their needs are different.

For example an adult human RDI for calcium is about 800 - 1000 mg per day. A 25 kg dog requires around 1975mg. If you were to halve an adult dose you would only be giving 400mg. I will say I am very anal about my dog's nutrition. :rofl:

I posted earlier the rdi for dog's vitamin e. .5 IU/kg bodyweight and the safe upper limit at 17 IU/kg bodyweight.

i.u vitamin E = 0.67 mg d-alpha tocopherol (natural source vitamin E) or 1 mg dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (synthetic vitamin E). dl-alpha tocopheryl is only about 50% absorbable, so a 200iu capsule of the synthetic vit e yeilds only 100iu of the vitamin. Some people do prefer the synthetic form if their dog has allergies to soy, as vitamin e is often derived from soy.

Ok, going back to the post with all those different foods and how much vit E they contain... is that iu amount per gram?

That list doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps Skipy could enlighten us.

Just a few vitamin e rich foods for you to start with.

Sunflower oil 1 tsp -- 5 grams 1.8 mg

Safflower oil 1 tsp -- 5 grams 1.5 mg

Wheat germ oil 1 tsp 5 grams 6.7mg

Margarine 1 tsp 5 grams .4mg

Beef liver raw 100gr .4mg

Chicken [no bone] 100gr 2.7mg

As you can see you will need to feed large amounts of food to meet the requirements of your dog. Foods that are highest in vitamin e are cold pressed vegetable oils, meats, nuts, green leafy vegetables, it's probably easiest to give a supplement.

I bought the powder in a clear plastic bag from the produce. I may have to ask to see the bulk bag it came from. It may only have horse dosage amounts on it.

My Rani, ask the produce if it's Value Plus brand. If that's the case I have the specs to work out the dosage.

I'd really be contacting your vet or holistic animal practioner.....there has in the past been a DOL member whose dog died as a result of overdosing on suppliments....not to scare but just to be wary.