Berwick Dog Obedience

Does anyone know if check chains are a no-no at this particular club? The lady at the RSPCA where I adopted Lilly from said some obedience clubs don't let you use them. Would a halter be a safer bet? Any tips on what to bring, what not to do etc would be good because I've never been to one of these clubs before. Thanks for any help you can give me ;)

Does anyone know if check chains are a no-no at this particular club? The lady at the RSPCA where I adopted Lilly from said some obedience clubs don't let you use them. Would a halter be a safer bet? Any tips on what to bring, what not to do etc would be good because I've never been to one of these clubs before. Thanks for any help you can give me ;)

If I was you, I would just front up with your dog on a flat collar and take it from there.

Less and less clubs, hopefully, are discontinuing the use of choker chains. I don't know the specific policies of Berwick though. :laugh: Enjoy your training!

Its a personal choice. The thing is that she may never 'learn' to walk on a lead so a halter might suit you. Both my dogs attend training and work perfectly at training but pull like buggers when walking!! So I use a body harness when walking and allow them to do what they want, but they know they have to work properly when they have the chokers on. Why not take a flat collar, halter and choker to training and see what they recommend? You might need to try a few things to find something that works - what works for one dog might not work for another. ;)

Thats good advice I think Kirty, thanks for that. I was told that when getting a halter, you should really get it fitted for the dog, rather than buy one in a packet from a pet store. Is this true or just a money grabbing exercise?

They used to do their intake the first Sat of each month. Do they still do that Roxy's mum?

To the best of my knowledge..... yes. I thought it was the first Saturday of each month. Although they may let you join, depending on how busy they are.

If not you can always come along for a look-see!!!

Can you tell me if I need to bring anything else besides the dog?

Doggy, of couse.... hehe!! And also plenty of treats, and a treat bag. You want to keep your hands as empty as possible. I use an old bum-bag. If your joining up you'll also need your vet card to show up to date vaccinations.

Also the basics, such as: your preferred choice of collar (check chain, flat collar, head halter), and also a strong lead. That should be it!!!

Thanks for the replies. I have rung them and the recorded message says it is join on first Saturday of the month and require vacc card. Too bad the first saturday is not until the 7th of October. :) Oh I remember bum bags... hmm... do they still sell them nowadays? :)

Bella, i have 2 halti's that are siting in my garage unused.

You would be more than welcome to have one or bnoth of them if you like instead of buying one.

I am in Pakenham so i could drop it off or you could pick it up if you like.

Hi

I have been going to Berwick for a few years now, sign up is the first Saturday of every month, cant really join any other time as they explain rules etc. then

There is someone (Ian) who fits GLs and the such too your dog.

It doesnt matter what you train in as long as you can control your dog, if you turn up in a flat collar and your dog is uncontrolable then they recommend either a check chain or GL. They also have special classes for GL users as you train differently with them.

Any other questions dont hesitate to ask, either here or at training. I am the one with the little red shit head of a dog that keeps running off on me at agility and another red and white boy.

You would be more than welcome to have one or bnoth of them if you like instead of buying one.

Kristie you are too kind! :) I also live in Pakenham :) so if you're sure you dont need them I might just come pick one up from you. Lilly is a Labrador/Wolfhound, would they be an appropriate size for her?

Lablover that is a very generous offer thank you. :rofl: Unfortunately I haven't been able to pick Lilly up from the RSPCA as she hasn't been desexed yet (waiting for her heat cycle to finish). She is booked in for the 15th, so realistically I would have to wait until the 30th anyway. I'm just impatient :) I've been waiting for my girl since I saved her from being PTS a couple of weeks ago. I'll be visiting her tomorrow to take her for a nice walk. :) She's 1hr 45 mins away from me but I've been going there every week to visit

Edited by *Bella*

Kristie you are too kind! :) I also live in Pakenham :) so if you're sure you dont need them I might just come pick one up from you. Lilly is a Labrador/Wolfhound, would they be an appropriate size for her?

I had them for a mal and a shep, so there are 2 sizes.

Pm me and we can catch up. I am in lakeside.

Also i have 2 pups who love to play if Lilly wants some woofy friends.

Edited by Kristie