Amstaff (11mo) Going Crazy For Other Dogs On The Lead

wolf82

This dog needs something - physical corrections with a check frankly I cant see that working. The dog has built up his threshold with the yanking, tugging, jumping etc so thats why i said a prong AND TRAINER. I would never advise someone to just start correcting its head off because if done at too low a level it builds the dog - That is when you start seeing dogs become iffy about others because their anxiousness towards other dogs + antagonism through correction creates a negative experience.

The dog would be corrected for chucking a complete spaz and ignoring verbal commands. I train with staffies, Amstaffs etc and these dogs are taught (like TG) to leave it, but if they break the drop or bolt foreward after being told to drop/sit they are corrected for disobeying the original command. When they settle and focus they are allowed to contact the other dog, but the owner praises the dog for being calm and friendly.

Building focus through drive satisfaction is the way to go. Keeping the dog at a safe distance and dissasociating sitting/calming down with being let off to play too. If he settles at obedience and then BANG straight off with the others there is an expectation when he's out on the street too. A few sessions of deprivation of play to show that SIT around other dogs does not mean PLAY as well. I'm not advocating punishment but letting a dog carry on and not being able to at least put a dent in the drive is just as bad.

Go get a GOOD trainer involved NOW!

No-one here can see how the dog is actually reacting and advice should be given only after seeing the dog and handler in action. Correcting this behaviour with choke / lead / prong etc could lead from an excited, exhuberant, ill mannered dog to an aggressive monster if not done correctly.

May I add - the dog must be shown how to react through safe controlled set ups. In the dogs head he is reacting how he thinks he should and hasn't been shown any other way.

Get a GOOD trainer involved.

Edited by herding_guy

He doesnt do it at doggy school, just the beach.

Trust me when i say its not aggressive, im not a moron, he just wants to play.

We have had off lead dogs come charging towards us and stopping about 1ft away then come closer to sniff (while im telling the other to get their f**king dog) and Loki is wagging so hard his body is bending.

Ill be consulting the head trainer at doggy school.