What Happens With Vet Bills For Injury At Club?

Sparty

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont believe it was malicious intent but he has a tendency to charge and hip and shoulder other dogs (aussie shepherd) Bodie is feeling much better thx :rofl: he is over most of his muscle stiffness now and the hole is healing well :rofl:

here is a pic from the day after the incident a bit hard to get a good pic with him wriggling so much :rofl:

post-4392-1159350444_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear he's feeling better Sparty! :rofl:

As for the dog responsible, it may not be malicious in intent, but its still dangerous for other dogs. From your description of the incident, it could've been far worse. Not to mention knocking your dogs confidence around. :rofl:

Does the dog have to cause serious/permanent damage before the club will do anything about it? :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Your situation is a two way matter. First, If the club was aware of the danger that dogs off lead could cause injury to another dog competing, and this was made clear to the Club orginisation, than the Club is liable as they are required to exercise a "duty of Care" to all competers. (Some Clubs are requiring competitors to sighn a waver of responsibility, these waivers are not worth the paper they are witten on). Two if the owner was in neglect than you can claim medical expenses via Civil Action throught the Local Courts Civil Claims jurisdiction.

We are in the age of beware because you can be sued for lack of duty of care. It is becoming more common for people to not be responsible for their actions etc.

back to the space bandanas, I like them as an idea for new dogs to the club. Can you post a photo please?

They are just a bright yellow bandana at our club. A triangle of material. :thumbsup: There are also these 'give me space' vests which I think are a brilliant idea, as often people don't notice the bandanas especially on a longer haired dog.

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=684

"nvm"

What do you mean nevermind? Were you there 2tollers? Did you see the incident? Just out of curiosity, have you asked the aussie owner to pay? Have you even spoken to the aussie owner? I am an aussie owner also and my aussie is very highly strung as are most aussies. My aussie also "charges" at other dogs. There has never ever been an incident of aggression although it does scare alot of dogs. I am not trying to excuse the behaviour either. I would be more than willing to pay for a vet bill if my dog caused injury to another. Was your dog under control? Were you training under instruction? From what you've said Sparty, it doesn't sound like there was any malicious intent whatsoever. By the sounds of it, it was nothing more than an unfortunate accident and I don't believe anyone should be judgemental or place blame until they know all the facts.

I was going to say it has been 6 weeks since the incident and she had not spoken to me, it was being dealt with thru the club, i was told they would speak to her as they didnt want things escalating. I recieved an apology pretty much just after i had written my last post saying i had not recieved an apology.

As to the facts i was doing a flyball run there were instructors around my dog didnt see him coming even. I dont believe i have ever said there was malicious intent just that this dog has been known to do this previously but until now has not caused injury. Why should i have to bear the full brunt of a incident that was was caused by another dog not being under contol when mine was under control and doing the right thing? if it had been while they were playing or something or he injured himself i would have no issue. but no injury would have happened if the dog who has been known to rush other dogs had been restrained or under control.

My aussie also "charges" at other dogs. There has never ever been an incident of aggression although it does scare alot of dogs.

To my mind, charging after other dogs is as dangerous as dogs growling and snapping. 2 dogs have been seriously injured at my agility clubs in recent years after loose dogs chased them while they were working (one tore a muscle irrepairably while taking evasive action on a jump, the other injured himself running into equipment trying to escape). And that's to say nothing for the potential mental damage- one of my own dogs was attacked (ie charged by a dog "trying to play") while working, and it took a long time to fully regain her confidence.

Dogs will be dogs, stuff happens- but if someone has a dog that repeatedly chases others at flyball/agility/etc (which ARE highly exciting environments), its their responsibility to keep it controlled and safe, and if an accident happens, the least they can do is apologise up front.

Hope your lad is OK, Sparty.

mjko5 -as I said in my previous post "I am not trying to excuse the behaviour". Do you know why this dog was loose in the first place? Did she just have him out running around while training was happening? I don't believe anyone is that stupid! Or was there more of a reason behind why he was out running around??? And how do you know she didn't apologise upfront?

sparty - What do you mean she had not spoken to you? Did she ignore you when you tried to speak to her or have you not even spoken to her? How could things escalate when there hadn't even been a discussion between you? I don't believe going through club was the right decision. That is like passing things on second hand. Wouldn't it have been better for you to talk to her? How can you expect her to pay for the vet bill if you haven't even asked her to? Having instructors around does not necessarily mean you were supossed to be training or that you were under instruction.

mine was under control and doing the right thing
Was your dog under control and doing the right thing? It sounds to me like you need to stop hiding behind the club and this post and just speak to the person involved. She probably isn't that irresponsible and mean after all.

"nvm"

What do you mean nevermind? Were you there 2tollers? Did you see the incident?

I don't understand why your asking me what I mean by nevermind. I was wondering what nvm meant. :)

I wasn't there by the way and I didn't see the incident. I haven't made any comment on this forum about it either.

You seem to be taking this very personally.

Hi

Speaking generally about the topic of dog control at flyball training, I am a member of a flyball club and we are extremely careful about working dogs off lead. If green dogs are doing an off lead exercise only one at a time and the other dog has to be secured before next one starts.

Obviously it goes without saying your dog should be reliable off-lead at home and on the flat before you attempt flyball exercises and it should not be working off-lead at all if it could pose a foreseeable threat to others or doesn't have a reliable recall.

Even a crash can put a dog off flyball and my older dog will not have another dog run on him after a dog snapped at him when he was returning. Obviously dogs are not motorcycles and sometimes something will go wrong and you just have to accept that fact, as I did with this. The dog just snapped and did not actually go for him and some dogs do this as a mannerism when excited and if your dog is not tough enough to bounce back and training cannot remedy it that is your hard luck.

However, in addition I have developed a canine sense similar to "boat room" and in adidition to adhering to the win-win and don't ask your dog a question if you don't know the answer school of thought, before doing anything off lead with my dog scan the area, see who else is working and if I have any negative vibes wait until it is finished. I believe this has saved my dogs from quite a few negative experiences. The instructors can't be everywhere and some people are always the optimist when it comes to their dog doing what they want. So basically, I always try to be aware of what is going on around me and set my dog up for the best possible experience.

Interested to hear what others think? Are dogs that don't have reliable recalls being let off lead at other clubs? There were some demos I went to a while back that were like dodgems but I'm not too aware of training procedures elsewhere. I'd personally remove my dog immediately from such a situation.

Caro

"nvm"

What do you mean nevermind? Were you there 2tollers? Did you see the incident?

I don't understand why your asking me what I mean by nevermind. I was wondering what nvm meant. :rofl:

I wasn't there by the way and I didn't see the incident. I haven't made any comment on this forum about it either.

You seem to be taking this very personally.

Was your dog under control and doing the right thing? It sounds to me like you need to stop hiding behind the club and this post and just speak to the person involved. She probably isn't that irresponsible and mean after all.

Are you for real? Of course she is irresponsible, if her dog has been know to charge at other dogs it shouldnt have been off lead to start with not just for other dogs sake but for her own as well, some dogs obviously dont like being hip and shouldered what would have happened if her dog did it too one that was doing a run meaning that dog would have been off lead.

If that dog had run up to mine like that and tried to rough them up it would be running back to its owner with a very sore backside.

How could Spartys dog not be doing the right thing, he was doing a run in flyball which requires him too be off lead.....i dont see what you are getting at with this?

Justiss you are taking this very personally, is it because it is an Aussie?

If you read the thread i was asking what is the situation, i asked if it as covered with the club being it was a club training and i had asked the training coordinator, i was told they would look into it. I was told they would speak to the owner, She had let her dogs out of the car, and they had not been restrained at all and would not recall, this is not the first time as i have mentioned before.

she has sent an email saying she is thinking of Bodie but not "im sorry my dog has hurt yours"

mjko5 -as I said in my previous post "I am not trying to excuse the behaviour". Do you know why this dog was loose in the first place? Did she just have him out running around while training was happening? I don't believe anyone is that stupid! Or was there more of a reason behind why he was out running around??? And how do you know she didn't apologise upfront?

sparty - What do you mean she had not spoken to you? Did she ignore you when you tried to speak to her or have you not even spoken to her? How could things escalate when there hadn't even been a discussion between you? I don't believe going through club was the right decision. That is like passing things on second hand. Wouldn't it have been better for you to talk to her? How can you expect her to pay for the vet bill if you haven't even asked her to? Having instructors around does not necessarily mean you were supossed to be training or that you were under instruction.

WTF.....You are on DOL for 2 minutes, write 2 posts, misread other posts and are already attacking people. Ease up. Instead of immediately jumping on the defensive and seemingly taking this very personally as others have said, take some deep breaths, calm down and read the thread from the beginning. Hmmmm One does wonder why you are being so defensive for such a newbie...

Edited by Pippi

Jen, perhaps if you provide a copy of the costs incurred and send that with a polite request for some assistance maybe you might get some where.

I would suggest that this dog was NOT JUST LET LOOSE however perhaps an ACCIDENT occured.

Without all the facts or without being there I would imagine that people are jumping a little to conclusions here and should before making judgement get all of the details. I am not saying that Jen is deliberately omitting details to alter the story... however believe that there may be additional information that is not at hand right now.

I personally wasnt there and I know for a FACT that the coordinator and the asst coordinator of the discipline have been attemtping to work this out.

I am sad to see this has become a topic of conversation and the other person involved hasnt a chance to defend them selves.

These are my opinions... and mine alone I am not speaking on behalf of any one or any club.

I would encourage you Jen to resolve this with the person. If you need assistance or mediation in this matter I would imagine the club would help by way of mediation officer or president or secretary?

Cheers.

Yes i had discussed this with the coordinator & club authorities and was told they would discuss it with the other party, this thread was pretty much due to uncertainty about what the club would cover, i was under the impression my member fees & weekly subsidy would cover me if my dog was injured as well as if i was injured and was pretty surprised that it apparently didnt :thumbsup: As you know i have not been to training since, due to Bodies recovery and having my baby but no one has been in touch via email or phone which they have. And i have spoken to president, and i believe a mediation officer.